Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619436 [6]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Re: Nicknamed the Napoleon of the dinosaur kingdom, N. Hoglundi seemed as [#permalink]
Kudos
brt wrote:
Nicknamed the Napoleon of the dinosaur kingdom, N. Hoglundi seemed as armed with a smaller body to adapt to their Cretaceous Arctic environment that experienced seasonal temperature extremes and variations in available food sources.

A. seemed as armed with a smaller body to adapt to their Cretaceous Arctic environment that
B. seemed to have been armed with a smaller body to adapt to its Cretaceous Arctic environment that had
C. seems as armed with a smaller body to adapt to its Cretaceous Arctic environment that
D. seems to have been armed with a smaller body to adapt to its Cretaceous Arctic environment that
E. seems to be armed with a smaller body to adapt to its Cretaceous Arctic environment that had

I feel the question is wrong......
when you use seems it implies that N. Hoglundi is singular.........then the verb has to be "has been" but not "have been".........
but at the same time seems to has been does not sound correct.
I think it should be "seems to be armed with........that"

Hi brt

That's a valid question. However, grammatically speaking, "seems to have been" is absolutely correct. Whereas "seems" is undoubtedly referring back to the singular subject, "To have been" is used as an infinitive phrase that combines the infinitive form of the verb "have" with the past participle "been." In such a construct, it indicates an action or state that occurred in the past. It is not directly affected by subject-verb agreement.

Take for an example - She wanted to have a vacation after a strenuous year

Here, "wanted" is the verb and "to have" is used in the infinitive form of "having" to indicate what she wanted to "have".

That being said, "have" can be used in many ways, apart from a plural verb. Here are some of those cases:
Auxiliary verb for forming perfect tenses: "Have" is used as an auxiliary verb to form the perfect tenses in English. For example: "I have eaten," "She has written," "They have seen."

Possession: "Have" is used to indicate possession or ownership. For example: "I have a car", "They have a house."

Auxiliary verb for forming the passive voice: "Have" is used as an auxiliary verb to form the passive voice in English. For example: "The book has been read," "The project will have been completed."

Auxiliary verb for forming conditionals: "Have" can be used as an auxiliary verb to form conditionals, particularly in the subjunctive mood. For example: "If she had known, she would have come."

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Re: Nicknamed the Napoleon of the dinosaur kingdom, N. Hoglundi seemed as [#permalink]
Thank you for the reply.....
It really helped me. Once I see it as infinitive it completely makes sense.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts