Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Nontraditional Student: Score Fell to 570 from 650 a year prior [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Cameron,

To start, you can take the Official GMAT up to 8 times (but no more than 5 times in a rolling 12-month period). In addition, if you have the ESR for this latest attempt, then I'll be happy to review it for you. The ESR doesn't provide that much information, but there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you would have to work on to improve).

From the extra information that you've provided, there aren't any obvious 'red flags' in terms of how you spent the last few days before your Exam, so it's possible that you just had a bit of a 'bad day.' The pacing plan you followed wasn't great - and you likely lost some points because you 'limited' your time in that way. At higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions). Just a few silly mistakes in each section could have accounted for the drop in score.

1) What are your application plans now?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Nontraditional Student: Score Fell to 570 from 650 a year prior [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Cameron,

To start, you can take the Official GMAT up to 8 times (but no more than 5 times in a rolling 12-month period). In addition, if you have the ESR for this latest attempt, then I'll be happy to review it for you. The ESR doesn't provide that much information, but there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you would have to work on to improve).

From the extra information that you've provided, there aren't any obvious 'red flags' in terms of how you spent the last few days before your Exam, so it's possible that you just had a bit of a 'bad day.' The pacing plan you followed wasn't great - and you likely lost some points because you 'limited' your time in that way. At higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions). Just a few silly mistakes in each section could have accounted for the drop in score.

1) What are your application plans now?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Thank you so much for your prompt response.

1) my application plans are shelved indedinitely. There is no reason to think about aplying until I can get a 700. Even at Top 100 programs in finance that I plam on applying to, I am unlikely to make it past the intial cut. I would like to also take a programming course , but that can come after the GMAT as well. I would like to apply perhaps this fall if possible. I could take a programming course this fall and just list as in progress on mu resume. I also realize that my gmat prep make take way more time than just the summer so even those plans are tentative.

2) As a public school teacher I am fortunate to have the months of June and July mostly to myself. I think I can realistically study 30-40 hours a week without burning out. I think It is important that I give myself two days a week off with heavy studying. I dont want to get to a point again where I start have trouble thinking creativilly and am just completely exausted every day. I beleive that 30-40 hours a week is realistic.

I will pm my ESR. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts