Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [3]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Part Time Placement [#permalink]
I, too, am interested in any alums who might be able to chime in. Unfortunately, I don't think there are too many here on gmatclub.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
I, too, am interested in any alums who might be able to chime in. Unfortunately, I don't think there are too many here on gmatclub.

Yeah, this post has been dead for a long time. I guess what part time MBA's boil down to, is the motivation on the part of the student to network and create contacts and find those opportunities. Career services might not be the biggest help.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the excellent debrief bkk.

Yes, I've been talking to several folks at NYU and you seem to have summarized excellently exactly what they were saying.

Are you in the program? When are you applying?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:
Thanks for the excellent debrief bkk.

Yes, I've been talking to several folks at NYU and you seem to have summarized excellently exactly what they were saying.

Are you in the program? When are you applying?

Hello bozo, I am not in the program. I am a prospective student, but indecisive about applying part-time because I want to have the option of changing career. I work in NYC and applied for full-time program this year, but unfortunately I was dinged at schools I really want to go. So now I am facing two options:
1. Part-time with good chance of getting in and come out "sort-of" debt free with a lot of experience, but have hard time switching career
2. Full time without knowing I will get in and come out with a lot of debt, no experience, but can easily switch career. For this option, I will re-take GMAT (690 now) and go through app hell again.

My stat:
690 GMAT, BS 3.3 engineering top 3 school in USA, MS 3.9 IT at NYU, 6 years WE

Are you applying for May deadline?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I attended the information session at Washington Square and I think the common theme of questions was the same...what after? Can i switch careers.

The admissions consultant was excellent and was very honest about the fact that it is extremely hard to switch careers. It requires your personal connections, contacts, tremendous networking skills to make that happen and there are a few who are succesful but the number she said was definitely small.

Most Part Time Students are typically not allowed to go to the job fairs that are available to the Full Time Students, primarily because you are employed at a place and could potentially be a conflict of interest. This policy changes every year it seems and the school is struggling with the best answer to the situation. Though, they do have alumni databases, career services. Also, the student rep at the session did say he was allowed to go for the recruiting events.

Overall, the program is definitely top notch but the career switch might be difficult.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Bozo - great information!

Now with the deadline only a few weeks away, has anyone had a chance to submit their langone app? Has anyone heard back?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Adcom mentioned that they review and send out admits only after the deadline. The admissions are not rolling.

I need the extra time still struggling with the dreaded essay 3!
GMAT Club Bot