Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
Still cannot change my pw, weird.

This thread still looks still quiet. Calling all applicants...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
That is really weird. I had to capitalize the first letter of my first and last name just the way it showed up in the email from NYU and it allowed me to change my password !!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NYUFALL2010 wrote:
29/M/South Asian
GPA - 3.2 from a small liberal arts college (double major Accounting & Information Systems)
GMAT - 660 (Q45, V35)
WE - 5.5 years (Senior Accountant - major private equity fund)
EC - Volunteer for soup kitchen, organize an annual fundraiser for a non-profit
Recs - One from supervisor, one from supervisor's supervisor. I had an excellent year end performance review. So, I am hoping the recs were excellent as well.
Essays - For Essay 3, I sent a couple of objects with a couple of sentences on how each relate to my personal and professional life. For Essays 1 & 2, I did not beat around the bush. I gave succinct reasons for parttime MBA and very focused short-term and long-term goals.

Both my GPA and GMAT score are slightly lower than average. So, I am counting on recs, essays and good luck.

Good luck to all.

I think you are more than middle of the range for part time students. I think you have a very good shot at the program. Particularly I assume you are not limited to the weekend program only like many others.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Does any one know if indicating employer reimbursement helps or hurts chances of admissions.

While I think a guaranteed source of income for the university should make the candidate look more favorable, I also think that employer sponsored candidates may not compete as much as self sponsored candidates. Thereby reducing overall quality of the work accomplished. Again this is just my thoughts and I could be wrong.

I just wonder what NYU thinks or if they don't care at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU Part Time
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
i originally thought you guys were talking about the notification email that nyu sends to applicants that they received the application but all this stuff about changing password makes me think twice. did everyone else received another email from nyu that allows to check status and change password cause i did not.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
syuan wrote:
i originally thought you guys were talking about the notification email that nyu sends to applicants that they received the application but all this stuff about changing password makes me think twice. did everyone else received another email from nyu that allows to check status and change password cause i did not.

No they were different. Check your junk/ trash folder.

The subject is "NYU Stern MBA Admissions"

For just application submission the subject is "Thank you for your application to NYU Stern"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ukyo check that you got the last name and first name in the right boxes.

It is Last Name followed by First Name.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It take several days. But if you do not receive it in 10 days. Call

It turns out there is a limit. Your pw cannot be too long...

syuan wrote:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I do not think NYU cares. Unless someone's financial plan is not feasible.

Employer sponsored candidates still need GMAT & Essays everything to show they are really into the MBA. If they just want to get their tickets punched, adcom should be able to identify at least "some" of them.

rubystone wrote:
Does any one know if indicating employer reimbursement helps or hurts chances of admissions.

While I think a guaranteed source of income for the university should make the candidate look more favorable, I also think that employer sponsored candidates may not compete as much as self sponsored candidates. Thereby reducing overall quality of the work accomplished. Again this is just my thoughts and I could be wrong.

I just wonder what NYU thinks or if they don't care at all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey guys, any (honest pls) opinions about my profile?Much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Everything in your stats looks good. Plus Stern likes reapplicant. I think you are pretty much in assuming you did not blow your essays.

Nick79 wrote:
Hey guys, any (honest pls) opinions about my profile?Much appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Is any one excited about the last episode of "Lost" .

This season I had three of my favt shows come to an end. 24, ugly betty and Lost. Lost was the best among them. Although I picked replacements for them - Community and Parks and Recreation, they will not come close to Lost.

May be it will give me some time to study if I get into an MBA program in the Fall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I still love Seinfeld.

rubystone wrote:
Is any one excited about the last episode of "Lost" .

This season I had three of my favt shows come to an end. 24, ugly betty and Lost. Lost was the best among them. Although I picked replacements for them - Community and Parks and Recreation, they will not come close to Lost.

May be it will give me some time to study if I get into an MBA program in the Fall.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
To a previous poster: I too am looking forward to Lost! Big time!

To another prior poster: I was pretty direct in the beginning of my "why part-time essay." I acknowledged I could not meet my financial commitments to my family while pursuing an MBA full-time. I don’t know the strategy of the whole thing, but I assume that it’s true for almost everyone applying to a part-time MBA program, right? It's true for me.

To another prior poster: I have no evidence for or against it, but I think, if anything, it would be a slight edge to have employer support (essentially someone from your company isn't just writing a nice recommendation, they are putting their putting their money where their mouth is. Talk is cheap. At least that is how I see it).

I don't have my application information in front of me, so this is from memory...

33/m/White
Extra: I have a PhD in Pharmacology, and I'm a registered pharmacist
GPA: 3.149 undergrad (Pharmacy major, large state school)/ Graduate 3.6ish? (Also from a large state school; I can't remember my graduate GPA off the top of my head)
GMAT: 710 (I don't remember the breakdown Q/V off the top of my head, although I know my percentile was higher in verbal). AWA 6.
Recommendations: Good, I hope (I can't read them, and even if I could it would be subjective. I did get one from my supervisor so that at least shouldn’t raise any flags for the admissions group).
Essays: Good, I hope (Also subjective. I can at least objectively say I worked hard on them! I also have a pretty clear vision for why I need an MBA for my career, and was able to articulate that in the essays.)
Work Exp: 4.5 years total. Last 3.5 years with a large healthcare company with a promotion in 2008.
Program: Weekend only.

My biggest concerns about my application are my undergrad GPA, the weekend only restriction I face, and lack of prior financial training. I also worry a crummy economy raises the the bar for admission.

Good luck everyone! I only applied to NYU and Rutgers, and the deadline to accept an offer of admission from Rutgers already passed. So now, I have all my eggs in the NYU part-time weekend program basket, so I obviously hope I get in. I know everyone else does too, and I hope I get to meet everyone who posted here who plans to go to the weekend program!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
drsparnum, your profile looks strong too. How is your EC?

You've got a PHD so I guess academically you are good. I have similar GPAs.

I assume my recs are good too. But they are busy people so I do not know whether they write a lot for me or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
After reading how the Fall 2009 class ultimately played. I noticed a couple interesting things about the NYU acceptance/notification process.

They're still accepting applications past the deadline? Perhaps it's a way to boost their class profile? Students that got potentially dinged from other schools of their choice (i.e. a HBS/CBS/Wharton, etc) but still have exemplary profiles could still apply to stern and in essence bump up the class profile? Just a theory but sounds fairly plausible.

Also, I read reports that despite a notification deadline of August 1st, they may just notify you on August 1st of the status of your app. In reading last year, A LOT of students got waitlisted on 8/1 and then ultimately got dinged in September. From what I saw from the posts, not too many apps got dinged right out, so from what it seems they can leave you in limbo for an extended period of time......

I wanted to ping everyone's opinion and take on this as some of us have other decisions pending. Given first semester's tuition (and a lost of enrollment deposits) is due in August for most programs, I wanted to see everyone's take in staying in and risking it vs. pulling out to matriculate at another program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ph69917 - I think a lot depends on how confident you are on your profile and what you want to do with your MBA. If the other program is not as competitive as that of Stern's it doesn't hurt to ask for an extension.

If you got in Wharton or something.. I would just take it. But it depends on what you want to do with your MBA and if the other school can provide that pathway.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31