Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [27]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619121 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Of the 1,000 companies responding to a certain survey, what percent in [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 1,000 companies responding to a certain survey, what percent indicated that they had a business recovery plan?

(1) 200 of the companies did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. This implies that the remaining 800, or 80%, indicated that they had a plan. Sufficient.

(2) The number of companies that indicated that they had a business recovery plan was 4 times the number that did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. {Indicated} + {Indicated}/4 = 1,000 --> {Indicated} = 800, or 80%. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,

My question is that in Statement 1, no where its mentioned that remaining 80% had a plan. Is it right to assume in DS questions?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619121 [1]
Send PM
Re: Of the 1,000 companies responding to a certain survey, what percent in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mountain14 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 1,000 companies responding to a certain survey, what percent indicated that they had a business recovery plan?

(1) 200 of the companies did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. This implies that the remaining 800, or 80%, indicated that they had a plan. Sufficient.

(2) The number of companies that indicated that they had a business recovery plan was 4 times the number that did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. {Indicated} + {Indicated}/4 = 1,000 --> {Indicated} = 800, or 80%. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,

My question is that in Statement 1, no where its mentioned that remaining 80% had a plan. Is it right to assume in DS questions?

Actually no such assumption was made, it's a fact.

There are only two answers to the question "do you have a plan?":
YES.
NO.

If NO=800, then YES=1000-800=200. How else?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-20-2014
Send PM
sidpopy wrote:
As it is a DS question, i think, it would be much clear had the question mentioned that " All respondents have answered the question". Question is binary so "yes or no answer can be assumed"

I think we can assume that all have responded as the question states "Of the 1,000 companies responding to a certain survey"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Guys, I'm new to this forum. For some reasons, I cannot see the last 3 options for all the questions posted in this forum. Pls suggest if I'm missing something? Thanks a ton
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619121 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varunmalhotra wrote:
Guys, I'm new to this forum. For some reasons, I cannot see the last 3 options for all the questions posted in this forum. Pls suggest if I'm missing something? Thanks a ton

This is a data sufficiency question. Options for DS questions are always the same.

The data sufficiency problem consists of a question and two statements, labeled (1) and (2), in which certain data are given. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the question. Using the data given in the statements, plus your knowledge of mathematics and everyday facts (such as the number of days in July or the meaning of the word counterclockwise), you must indicate whether—

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

I suggest you to go through the following post ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
How else?

How about: 200 of the companies did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan and 100 of the companies indicated that they did not have a business recovery plan.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619121 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rahulsnh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
How else?

How about: 200 of the companies did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan and 100 of the companies indicated that they did not have a business recovery plan.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

YES.
NO.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

YES.
NO.

A typical survey will have 1 or more questions. The surveyee may choose not to reply to a survey question that is not mandatory.

When surveyee does not respond to the question then the case is "did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan"
When surveyee responds "No" to the question then the case is "indicated that they did not have a business recovery plan"

I do not intend to contest your solution since I see where you're coming from. But, DS questions do test for unsupported assumptions. Assumption that survey question was mandatory or every participant responded to the survey question, is not supported in the question stem. That is how I read the question. Maybe I'm wrong - at least by the rule that question-maker's answer is always right!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [3]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
1- 200 no recovery plan-> 800 / 1000 = % of companies that had a bp recovery
2- recovery = 4(norecovery)
recovery + norecovery = 1000
you can set up system two equations and two unknowns

So answer should be D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GRE 1: Q159 V158
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
rahulsnh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

YES.
NO.

A typical survey will have 1 or more questions. The surveyee may choose not to reply to a survey question that is not mandatory.

When surveyee does not respond to the question then the case is "did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan"
When surveyee responds "No" to the question then the case is "indicated that they did not have a business recovery plan"

I do not intend to contest your solution since I see where you're coming from. But, DS questions do test for unsupported assumptions. Assumption that survey question was mandatory or every participant responded to the survey question, is not supported in the question stem. That is how I read the question. Maybe I'm wrong - at least by the rule that question-maker's answer is always right!

I agree here. Since the Q asks: "what percent indicated that they had a business recovery plan?" And statement 1 says: 200 of the companies did not indicate., it can be read as if they did not indicate YES or NO; meaning they did not answer the Q. If this were a GMAT SC problem, it would be a meaning error from the original sentence/Q. The statement really should say: 200 companies INDICATED that they did not. ... not that they did not indicate. Again, the latter can be read as if they did not even answer the Q in the survey, which is why I chose E. The meaning error threw me off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM

(1) 200 of the companies did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. Sufficient as we can find out the % from this

(2) The number of companies that indicated that they had a business recovery plan was 4 times the number that did not indicate that they had a business recovery plan. Sufficient as we can find out the % from this as well

D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Send PM
citygrl wrote:
rahulsnh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

YES.
NO.

I agree here. Since the Q asks: "what percent indicated that they had a business recovery plan?" And statement 1 says: 200 of the companies did not indicate., it can be read as if they did not indicate YES or NO; meaning they did not answer the Q. If this were a GMAT SC problem, it would be a meaning error from the original sentence/Q. The statement really should say: 200 companies INDICATED that they did not. ... not that they did not indicate. Again, the latter can be read as if they did not even answer the Q in the survey, which is why I chose E. The meaning error threw me off.

I understand your meaning, but the question statement covers this.
There can be more than two responses to the survey, for instance;
1) Have a plan
2) intend to create a plan
3) do not have a plan

But statement 1 says; "did not indicate that they had a business recovery", meaning that all answers to the survey other then we have a plan are covered.
It's therefore safe to assume that the other 800 have a plan in place.
similarly statement 2 says did not indicate not stated that they don't have a plan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,

Actually no such assumption was made, it's a fact.

YES.
NO.

I agree that all the companies responded. But, what if they indicated a response such as "We don't want to comment on our scenario of the business plan". Considering it is an official GMAC question, this could have been framed in a better sense!

Hope I am able to put through my point.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts