GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2010, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (00:45) correct 23% (00:49) wrong based on 115 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of women to number of children was 5 to 2, What was the number of men on the sigh seeing tour

(1) On the sight seeing tour, the ratio of number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11
(2) The number of women on the sight seeing tour was less than 30
Math Expert
V
Re: GMATprep question 9  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2010, 12:12
On a certain sight-seeing tour, the ratio of the number of women to the number of children was 5 to 2. What was the number of men on the sight-seeing tour?

Given: \(\frac{w}{c}=\frac{5}{2}\). Q: \(m=?\)

(1) on the sight-seeing tour, the ratio of the number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11 --> \(\frac{c}{m}=\frac{5}{11}=\frac{10}{22}\) and \(\frac{w}{c}=\frac{5}{2}=\frac{25}{10}\) --> \(\frac{\frac{w}{c}}{m}=\frac{\frac{25}{10}}{22}\) --> # of men is multiple of 22: 22, 44, 66, ... --> multiple values are possible for # of men. Not sufficient.

(2) the number of women on the sight-seeing tour was less than 30 --> \(w<30\). Not sufficient to calculate \(m\).

(1)+(2) \(\frac{\frac{w}{c}}{m}=\frac{\frac{25}{10}}{22}\) and as \(w<30\), then \(w=25\) (for other values of \(w<30\), \(m\) is not an integer) --> \(m=22\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2010, 13:27
Good explaination Bunuel.

Divanshuj, another approach to the problem, that is problably quicker, would be to think logically about the information presented and not worry about the math.

The problem gives you the ratio of women to children and asks you how many men there are.

To figure out the number of men you would have to relate the women-children ratio to men and then determine the number of women or children.

(1) Gives you the ratio were looking for, but not a number. Not sufficient.
(2) Gives you one of the numbers we're looking for, but not a ratio that relates men to women or children. Not sufficient.

Put them together and you have the information you need to figure out how many men there are. Thus, C, both together tell us how many men there are.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jared
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2010, 21:04
sk818020, I think this one is a little dangerous to simply use logic. Many people will pick E if they do that, because it seems like there are multiple possible values for w, c, and m. It takes a bit of scratch work to see that, because they must all be integer values, the only possible of m is 22.

If this post was helpful, please give Kudos.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2010, 21:10
TheGmatTutor wrote:
sk818020, I think this one is a little dangerous to simply use logic. Many people will pick E if they do that, because it seems like there are multiple possible values for w, c, and m. It takes a bit of scratch work to see that, because they must all be integer values, the only possible of m is 22.

I'll grant your point, but using the statements I posted above how would my reasoning point you down the wrong path? I appreciate your point, but I'd like to know how I could go wrong with the simple reasoning I used.

Based on my reasoning, I wouldn't have chosen E. Why based on my points above would you chose E? I guess I'm asking you to use my logic above to prove there are multiple solutions to the problem.

Hopefully we can all learn from it, including me :-).

Jared
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2010, 21:42
I've seen people pick E on this one because they figure that they can't find an exact value of w. Although they know w<30, it requires a little extra work to see that w can only be 25.

I think it's a case of overusing the "Don't solve the problem!" advice that many test prep companies give.

If this post was helpful, please give Kudos.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 05:07
sk818020,
Your approach is correct no doubt but how will you ensure that there are not more than one solution for number of men??
Bunuel,
Can you please explain if there is any short method available to ensure that there is only one solution and all other number of women will not give integer? Because on test we will not have enough time to check all these things... correct? Please explain if you are aware of something like that.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 05:19
amitjash wrote:
sk818020,
Your approach is correct no doubt but how will you ensure that there are not more than one solution for number of men??
Bunuel,
Can you please explain if there is any short method available to ensure that there is only one solution and all other number of women will not give integer? Because on test we will not have enough time to check all these things... correct? Please explain if you are aware of something like that.

We have that \(\frac{w}{m}=\frac{25}{22}\) (note that 25/22 is a reduced fraction, we can not reduce it anymore), which means that \(w=25x\) and \(m=22x\) for some integer \(x\geq{1}\). So the possible values of \(w\) are 25, 50, 75, ... and corresponding possible values of \(m\) are 22, 44, 66, ... So if \(w<30\), then \(w=25\) and \(m=22\).

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
DS : Ratios  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2010, 00:57
On a certain sight seeing tour, the ratio of the number of women to the number of children was 5 is to 2. What was the number of men on the sight seeing tour?

(1) On the sight seeing tour, the number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Reviews Badge
Re: DS : Ratios  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2010, 02:09
W:C = 5:2 ; M = ?

1. C:M = 5:11

We are still working with ratios so we cannot evaluate the absolute value of M

INSUFFICIENT

2. W < 30

No information about the men.

INSUFFICIENT

Both 1 and 2

Let's combine the ratios by making the value of C in both equal

W:C = 5:2 = 25:10
C:M = 5:11 = 10:22

W:C:M = 25 : 10 : 22

Now, all these values must be integers because they represent people. Thus the only possible values would be multiples of the above ratio. i.e. The next highest set would be:

W:C:M = 50:20:44

But here W > 30. Thus the only possible value is for W = 25, C = 10 and M = 22

SUFFICIENT

Pick C.

Can you please confirm OA? I'm pretty sure A cannot be sufficient.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2011, 09:38
C it is, always be careful with ds especially those who got +40. Questions are sometimes not like it appears

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 02:15
W/C = 5/2

From (1) C/M = 5/11

=> W:M = 5/2 * 5/11 = 25/22

But this is not sufficient to give the exact number of men

From(2) W < 30, but this does not give anything about the number of men, so not sufficient.

Also, W/C = 5/2 can mean w = 5, C = 2 or W = 10, C = 4, hence the number of men is not a definitive from this.

From(1) and (2), W:M:C = 25:22:10

which satisifes all the ratios and also, this is a reduced ratio in the sense that if we reduce the number of women < 25, the ratio 25:22 will not hold good, so the answer is (C).

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2011, 09:46
1. insuff
2. insuff

combined ratio becomes 25:10:55
hence women < 30 can be only 25
then sufficient C

lets start again

CEO
CEO
D
Re: On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 07:10
Top Contributor
divanshuj wrote:
On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of women to number of children was 5 to 2, What was the number of men on the sigh seeing tour

(1) On the sight seeing tour, the ratio of number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11

Let W = # of women
Let M = # of men
Let C = # of children

Target question: What is the value of M?

Given: The ratio of the number of women to the number of children was 5 to 2
In other words, W : C = 5 : 2

Statement 1: On the sight-seeing tour, the ratio of the number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11.
In other words, C : M = 5 : 11

Let's combine this ratio with the given ratio (W : C = 5 : 2)
To do so, we'll find some EQUIVALENT RATIOS such that they both share a term.

Take 5 : 2 and multiply both terms by 5 to get 25 : 10
So, W : C = 25 : 10

Now take 5 : 11 and multiply both terms by 2 to get 10 : 22
So, C : M = 10 : 22

At this point, we can combine the ratios to get W : C : M = 25 : 10 : 22
As you can see this just tells us the ratios of the variables, it does not provide enough information to find the exact value of M
Consider these three conflicting possibilities:
Case a: W : C : M = 25 : 10 : 22
Case b: W : C : M = 50 : 20 : 44
Case c: W : C : M = 75 : 30 : 66
etc.
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The number of women on the sight-seeing tour was less than 30.
There's no information at all about the men so statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 essentially tells us that W : C : M = 25 : 10 : 22, so with each ratio that's equivalent to 25 : 10 : 22, we can a different value of M
So, we could have W : C : M = 25 : 10 : 22
or W : C : M = 50 : 20 : 44
or W : C : M = 75 : 30 : 66
etc.
Statement 2 reduces the possible number of women (W).
If W < 30, then there's only ONE possible ratio that works. That is W : C : M = 25 : 10 : 22
This means that there MUST be 22 men
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer:

RELATED VIDEOS

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Re: On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of &nbs [#permalink] 29 Apr 2017, 07:10

On a certain sight seeing tour, the ration of the number of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap