Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1580 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
joemama,

you did your best by giving another attempt and i think 690 is a good score. relax for now.

good luck
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulation joe! We will certainly see you around no matter what you decide to do :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Joemama, you did it once again!! A 100 point improvement in just 4 months should NOT be downplayed in any way! Way to gooooO!!!!!!!! :wave

Your hard work, perserverance and contribution are an inspiration to all of us still striving for that magic score.

G'luck and I'm sure you'll easily cross 700+ next time!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good score.. congratulations!!!!! wwohooo. one day i'd love to meet you!!!!!.. there is so much inspiration in you and you never die attitude is very impressive!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Joe,

Congratulations :-D You have a very good score :good
Do stick around, irrespective of your decision ;)

All the best buddy!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey joe congrats on your score.....you are a true champion

and all those future gmat test takers, pay attention to what joe said abt the verbal portion. i just took the test yesterday and scored q47 and v35...man verbal was tough...esp SC were really really vague....i had exact same feelings like joe while attempting the verbal portion....i had 16 sc and there were only 3 for which i was confident about my answer...for rest of the 13 SC , i simply made a best educated guess...i dont know how to improve verbal portion...CR were also tough with no clear choice....very vague answer choies...rc were easier than ETS.......
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: One step closer to the edge [#permalink]
Heartiest Congratulations !!!! You got the 80-80 split...:) :)
You truly deserve this.....you have been a great motivator to all members here.

You got more than the 80-80 split....

joemama142000 wrote:
hi friends,

I took the exam today out of the blue again. Result 690 47Q(82%) 38V(85%)
91% overall. I had mixed emotions when my score popped up. Part of my wanted to laugh, part of me wanted to cry and part of me wanted to smash the computer. Im not thrilled but not upset. After a month of verbal practice, i improved 20pts. Was it worth it? Short answer is yes cuz i wouldnt have been doing anything productive anyways. Did it make a difference in my chances for admission? Probably not so much or at all. Even though i have not reached my goal of 700+, I am planning to ease up on the studying for now. I feel that i have neglected my friends, family and mostly myself. However, throughout my journey thus far, It was a very comfortable feeling to have friends with similar goals and ambitions and are here for support at the gmatclub. thank you to you all. I couldnt have gotten to this level without you guys. I do plan on taking the exam again but not in the near term. There is "things" that i just dont understand and will take time to develope. Only a 750 + will justify stuying for next time.

It was a hot day here in ny. I took it at the same test center because i thought they did a wonderfull job last time. Arrived early, was able to take it early. The room was like a sauna cuz the center was too cheap to turn on air conditioning. I should have worn shorts and a wife beater.

AWA, was a breeze but i wrote more than usual. I think i got at least a 4.

Math-Difficult! I felt it was more difficult than last time. The thing is, i see many people preparing for difficult problems such as perm or combo but i only saw 1 on the exam. Sometimes questions that are bewildering can be a simple division problem made complicated such as the one i had today. Spent 5 mins on it and probably got it wrong. So i suggest that you get acquainted with as many types as possible. I thought i had bomed this section but did decent.

Verbal-Even more difficult!. Probably the most difficult verbal i have ever had. I couldnt even guage how well i was doing nor did i have confidence in any of my answers aside from rc. Its strange, i cannot even teach one my strategies. Kind of just a gut feeling about an answer. So i thought this section was hit or miss. I spent the majority of this month on verbal and improvent showed but i dont think i "learned" anything new. I was just more focused this time. RCs were ok, I feel that RC under pearson is shorter than RC under ETS. However, they are slightly trickier. CR is difficult. I just cannot comprehend or elimante 1 answer for some of them. SCs are probably the most difficult youll ever see. Errors are very difficult to spot. NOTHING is really clear. I relied on my gut here really and it is scary. In the end, I did ok and improved.

Well I wanted to thank vivek, andygr8, laxie, himalya, duttsit, haddy, remgeo, simaq, nakib, tk, gamjatang, tehcm, bhai, chriswll, paul, bewakoof,scorpioguy, allabout, giddi, selene,conocuier, chirgrar
lhotseface, sm176811,bg,ipc, professor, ywilfred and EVERYONE that responded to my posts. If i missed anyone, i am sorry but i love you also. I feel that i was more selfish and could not teach due to my unconfident answers. I would be happy to answer any q's about the exam and my preparations.

I will be on and off this forum but not as often as i used to. But i will be back most likely for a 4th round. It aint over yet. Good luck to you all. God bless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
690 is great score, and your story made me very anxious about your 20 pt improvement in verbal! Please share your strategy, I would die to get 10 point extra to reach 80% club in verbal…
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
thank you guys for your encouragement and support. If only there were a way for all of us to party together. Drinks on me! :thanks
:beer :musband :woohoo

Anyway here are my prep strategies and scores.
Gprep; 710 47m 40v
grpep: skipped math 44V

My advice for verbal-
I never considered myself sufficient in english. Although i was born in the us, english was not my first language. I struggled with this subject since grade school. I probably completed one novel in my life and never really paid attention in english classes. In fact, i used to buy those cliffs notes to pass exams. Now i see why it hurt me. For someone who reads alot of english literature or respected magazines, verbal should come second nature to him/her. I used primarily the 1000 series and had previous exposure to the mcat and the lsat.

The most important part of doing well in verbal is focus and stamina. After the awa and math, it will be tough to concentrate on verbal.

sc-The ones youll see on the exam are going to be the toughest. This section seems so simple but is made so difficult. I did the majority of the 1000 hapazardly. Although i found it near useless this time because i have seen the q's before. On my next attempt, I plan to start from scratch and learn actual structure of sentences and specific rules. For someone not learning those specific rules, i think they can get by with intuition but for someone who is bad in english it will be difficult to have the same gut feeling. mgmat is no longer sufficient but a necessity in my opinion.

CR-i did a few of the 1000 series but found them too easy. The exam will also have the most difficult cr's youll encounter. I used some lsat guides to help with this area. My observations are that the cr types in the gmat are comparable to the lsat types now in terms of difficulty. Lsat has a larger variety of q's not tested on the gmat such as identifying a simliar pattern. I would focus on the lsat problems in the future for more difficult cr's eventhough they are not in the same format but they help you improve your reasoning. Lsat is difficult because of time limit. In lsat you get 35 mins to answer 25cr's (they start out simple but end difficult seems like)

RC-This section seems to have shorter passages thanets. But don't count on it staying that way. With increaseing gmat scores, i bet they will become more difficult. The best preparation here is also the lsat rc's, they are slightly more dense than the gmat rc's and longer. I believe they are in the same format. Again what differs in diffculty is the time limit. Lsat section is 3-4 passages , 24 q's in 35 mins. To be a real pro in rc, i would suggest graduating to the mcat. Will be the most difficult rc's youll ever see. Howver, they tend to have a good portion of humanities subjects that you dont see on the lsat or gmat. But the other types are difficult as well. mcat passages are the most dense, long and vague. 9-10 passages, 65-100 lines, 60q's 85 mins.I enjoyed science/economics passages in the gmat but hated the legal passages.

haddy74 wrote:
hey joe congrats on your score.....you are a true champion

and all those future gmat test takers, pay attention to what joe said abt the verbal portion. i just took the test yesterday and scored q47 and v35...man verbal was tough...esp SC were really really vague....i had exact same feelings like joe while attempting the verbal portion....i had 16 sc and there were only 3 for which i was confident about my answer...for rest of the 13 SC , i simply made a best educated guess...i dont know how to improve verbal portion...CR were also tough with no clear choice....very vague answer choies...rc were easier than ETS.......

Agree with haddy 100%, no joke.

Do you guys know if any schools take the highest score of each section of each exam you take?

Originally posted by joemama142000 on 30 Apr 2006, 03:37.
Last edited by joemama142000 on 30 Apr 2006, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on great score.... :punk

I don't think its worth taking the exam again and spending another few months studying just to get into 700.... Your score is sufficient to get you anywhere...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Joe,

the consistence and efforts you show are tremendous. The world needs more people like you; people who know what they can and who don't give up till they have achieved what they (and your family) want.

Have a good rest and move on...all the best

Ike
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATULATIONS joemama142000!!!!

I would be happy with your score esp. since its sitting pretty balanced.
Good luck.

duttsit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats joemama142000,

Your score is very good..

Also thanks for sharing your ideas and advices. You rock :good
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great Score dude!!

Though, I know how u feel. I took the test in Dec and got a 690! And I was like duh, probably I wud have need just one more question to be answered correctly!! Felt awkward and frustrated and BLANK!

Anyways... 690, I guess is a good score.. Today I talked to friend who was 3 years elder to me, he graduated from Wharton and is now working at McKinsey, he said there were several folks with low 600 scores in Wharton.

What matters is how you present yourself as a package and how you show that you are unique and could add value to the school.

All the best and keep us posted!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Joe, Congrats !!!!! I feel both happy and sad for you !! Sad that you are yet again unlucky and missed your 700. But happy for the great score and that you are done with this. I am sure you will do very well in future. Keep it up.

I am getting butterflies in my stomach after reading your post about the difficulty level. :shock: Why are they making it so difficult? Doesnt that make it a very unfair competition with people holding their gmat scores for 5 years? Anyway, all that is not for us to think.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks guys for your kind words,

good luck to you all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
joemama,

Sorry to be late but happy to learn that you scored 690.
Great news. congratulations on your one more step towards 7xx club.

goodluck to you for your final shot.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts