Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Online MBA: Will The Perception Ever Change? by student [#permalink]
Great post, I considered joining the MBA@UNC program, but since I live in Raleigh I opted for the local EMBA program.

The hardest thing facing actual high quality online programs, such as MBA@UNC, is the barrier to entry for other entities. When looking at an actual brick and mortar campus there is a significant amount of capital needed to actually get up and running, and A LOT of work to do so. With the barrier to entry being so low for online programs, worst case being one professor and a website, there is a huge range of quality out there; and unfortunately those UN-accredited steal your money programs tarnish the online image. UNC is the first top 20 program to consider doing this and I hope more join in and slowly push out the worthless programs.

For a good example, next time you're on a flight check out the Sky Mall magazine; towards the back you will be inundated with online MBA programs, touting autonomy and flexible 2-6 year graduation plans. What they don't tell you is they're going to charge you many thousands of dollars to watch un-engaging videos with no team work or lockstep approach at all.

Somewhat of a soap box I just got on there, but to the original point, I hope that the image for online programs begins to improve especially since universities like UNC are taking a TON of time to make the programs very worth while where you get the same education as the full time students.

Good luck in the program!
-Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Online MBA: Will The Perception Ever Change? by student [#permalink]