Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [9]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument [#permalink]
I wasted some seconds in understanding what "recently passed Congress" mean :lol:
So by the way what does "recently passed Congress" mean?
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Unlike the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument [#permalink]
The "unlike" in this argument shows that there is a parallelism issue with what two things are "unlike" This is further compounded by the use of a descriptive phrase in between the two unlike things.

It is clear that the government's argument is unlike the petitioner's argument and since government is not underlined, this eliminates A and B for parallel comparison problems.

The next clear error is a pronoun error - the sentence gives you the option of "which" or "whose" whose is appropriate for people, not for arguments therefore D is eliminated for a bad pronoun.

The decision between C and E comes down to the placement of "only" This is a tricky adverb because it is very specific in what it modifies. in C it clearly modifies recently implying that up until recently it had not passed congress.

in E) it modifies passed - which means it only passed Congress (implying that there are other things it could have passed) To preserve the meaning of the sentence you would pick C as the correct answer.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
SmokedRing wrote:
Unlike the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress, the government's argument centered on what many legal experts consider a main-stream interpretation of the Bill of Rights.

A) the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

B) the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

C) the petitioner's argument, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

D) the petitioner's argument, whose case rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that recently only passed Congress

E) the petitioner's argument, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that recently only passed Congress

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

There are two main issues being tested in this sentence.

(1) When using like or unlike, you must compare like parts (e.g., compare arguments with arguments). The original sentence improperly compares the team of lawyers with the government's argument.

(2) The expression , which modifies the term that is immediately before it. For example, the phrase the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress is incorrect since it was not the petitioner that rested on a questionable interpretation, but rather the argument that rested on a questionable interpretation.

A. the sentence illogically and improperly compares unlike parts (i.e., it compares the team of lawyers with the government's argument)

B. the phrase the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress is incorrect since it was not the petitioner that rested on a questionable interpretation, but rather the argument that rested on a questionable interpretation

C. the sentence properly compares like parts (i.e., it compares the petitioner's argument with the government's argument); , which rested on... properly and logically modifies the phrase it follows

D. the phrase whose case rested on is illogical since whose (which should modify a person) is actually modifying an argument

E. the original sentence, which reads a bill that only recently passed Congress, is perniciously changed to a new sentence, which reads a bill that recently only passed Congress; the difference in meaning between a bill that recently only passed Congress (meaning it did not become law) and a bill that only recently passed Congress (meaning it passed Congress a short time ago) is significant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SmokedRing wrote:
Unlike the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress, the government's argument centered on what many legal experts consider a main-stream interpretation of the Bill of Rights.

A) the team of lawyers working for the petitioner, whose argument rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

B) the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

C) the petitioner's argument, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress

D) the petitioner's argument, whose case rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that recently only passed Congress

E) the petitioner's argument, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that recently only passed Congress

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

There are two main issues being tested in this sentence.

(1) When using like or unlike, you must compare like parts (e.g., compare arguments with arguments). The original sentence improperly compares the team of lawyers with the government's argument.

(2) The expression , which modifies the term that is immediately before it. For example, the phrase the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress is incorrect since it was not the petitioner that rested on a questionable interpretation, but rather the argument that rested on a questionable interpretation.

A. the sentence illogically and improperly compares unlike parts (i.e., it compares the team of lawyers with the government's argument)

B. the phrase the argument from the petitioner, which rested on a questionable interpretation of a bill that only recently passed Congress is incorrect since it was not the petitioner that rested on a questionable interpretation, but rather the argument that rested on a questionable interpretation

C. the sentence properly compares like parts (i.e., it compares the petitioner's argument with the government's argument); , which rested on... properly and logically modifies the phrase it follows

D. the phrase whose case rested on is illogical since whose (which should modify a person) is actually modifying an argument

E. the original sentence, which reads a bill that only recently passed Congress, is perniciously changed to a new sentence, which reads a bill that recently only passed Congress; the difference in meaning between a bill that recently only passed Congress (meaning it did not become law) and a bill that only recently passed Congress (meaning it passed Congress a short time ago) is significant

Hello @Abhimaha Bunuel AjiteshArun egmat Can you please explain why B is wrong?
I thought that there is a prepositional phrase present before which, therefore 'which' can refer to the 'argument' and thus went ahead with option B.
Moreover the split - recently passed vs only passed recently is also correct in B.

Thanks in advance.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts