Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 22 Jul 2019, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56327
Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 18:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:47) correct 26% (01:20) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 383
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 19:11
Was: 9 non-defective + 1 defective = 10
Minus: 3 non-defective
Now: 6 non defective + 1 defective = 7

Probability to get 1 defective = 1/7

Answer (B) 1/7
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 309
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 12:27
I think it might help to have the information whether the pen drawn is put back into the box. That is, are the events independent?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1232
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 17:49
1
As the number of pens in the box after 3 withdrawal is 7, and defective pen remaining in the box is still 1. Probability of getting defective pen in 4th draw = 1/7

In this question, I don't think any reason to put back the pen back into the box again.
But if the pens are put back in the box, we get probability = 1/10, since the total number of pens in the box would be 10.

Answer to your query- "are the events independent? - NO

urvashis09 wrote:
I think it might help to have the information whether the pen drawn is put back into the box. That is, are the events independent?

_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 309
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 01:50
gmatbusters wrote:
As the number of pens in the box after 3 withdrawal is 7, and defective pen remaining in the box is still 1. Probability of getting defective pen in 4th draw = 1/7

In this question, I don't think any reason to put back the pen back into the box again.
But if the pens are put back in the box, we get probability = 1/10, since the total number of pens in the box would be 10.

Answer to your query- "are the events independent? - NO

urvashis09 wrote:
I think it might help to have the information whether the pen drawn is put back into the box. That is, are the events independent?


Are we supposed to assume "without replacement" if nothing is mentioned in the question stem?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1232
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 02:01
1
You got it right...
If nothing is written, it means without replacement.


urvashis09 wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
As the number of pens in the box after 3 withdrawal is 7, and defective pen remaining in the box is still 1. Probability of getting defective pen in 4th draw = 1/7

In this question, I don't think any reason to put back the pen back into the box again.
But if the pens are put back in the box, we get probability = 1/10, since the total number of pens in the box would be 10.

Answer to your query- "are the events independent? - NO

urvashis09 wrote:
I think it might help to have the information whether the pen drawn is put back into the box. That is, are the events independent?


Are we supposed to assume "without replacement" if nothing is mentioned in the question stem?

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Location: India
Schools: EDHEC
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 05:55
Can someone please give a mathematical explanation of the answer, with steps?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4261
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 10:43
Bunuel wrote:
Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly drawn from the box, one at a time. If none of those three pens is defective, what is the probability that the next pen randomly drawn is defective?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/7
(C) 7/10
(D) 6/7
(E) 9/10


total pens = 10
so first three pens are taken out
left with 7 pens
since only 1 pen is defective so P = 1/7
IMO B
_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 6967
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 07:48
Bunuel wrote:
Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly drawn from the box, one at a time. If none of those three pens is defective, what is the probability that the next pen randomly drawn is defective?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/7
(C) 7/10
(D) 6/7
(E) 9/10



Since we have 7 pens left after three non-defective pens are drawn, and one of the 7 pens is defective, the probability that the 4th pen drawn is defective is 1/7.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 07:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Only one of ten pens in a box is defective. Three pens are randomly dr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne