Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Other than the OG and Manhattan Prep, What else? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hm... That's odd since the mgmat guides are designed to be used with the OG. They don't have a ton of practice questions in those books so they rely on the additional questions from the OG.

You can always get the mgmat verbal foundations.... But you should start working on the OG in tandem with the mgmat guides.

Posted from my mobile device

Oh ok! I should start working on OG then. I have finished all Manhattan prep verbal books. Just want to get enough practice so that I wouldn't feel frustrated when I start attempting the OG questions. Thanks!:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Other than the OG and Manhattan Prep, What else? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gempony

Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH practice CATs yet?No i have not. Looks like I should really do that as soon as possible. But I want to get a feel of what the questions are like from Manhattan Gmat Prep before doing any practice test. I don't want to be too upset if I fail miserably in the practice test. I have almost finished studying all Manhattan Prep books; I will do the test once I have completed them all. If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If you have not, then you should plan to take one soon. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? I have started my study just two weeks ago.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? My goal score is 750 or above
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?I don't have a specific timeline. I would only take the test when I m ready to reach my target score
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?Within 2 years; if I get my target score earlier, the sooner I will apply
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? LBS, Columbia, Wharton, Insead, Chicago Booth

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Please see my answers to your questions above.

Gem
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Joseph: N
Send PM
Kudos
If you are looking for more SC help, I have personally found that both Magoosh and E-GMAT offer a good range of lessons for SC. Best of luck in your studying!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gempony,

That initial diagnostic CAT is important - it helps to define your strengths and weaknesses and gives you a basis for comparison as you continue to study. Most Test Takers are not happy with that first CAT result, but that's not a big deal - the extra months of available study time are there so that you can IMPROVE on this initial practice result. Once you've taken that CAT, you should report back with your scores and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gempony wrote:
Hi, I have almost finished working through the whole series of Manhattan Prep, I want to practice a bit more before moving to OG. Which book(s) would you recommend?

My most problematic area is sentence correction - English is not my native language.

Thank you! :)
Look at the OG as something that will help you get better, and not just as a bunch of questions. Both the questions and explanations will help you learn what the GMAT tests, and you can choose to start with the easy questions before moving on to the medium and hard sets if that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gempony,

That initial diagnostic CAT is important - it helps to define your strengths and weaknesses and gives you a basis for comparison as you continue to study. Most Test Takers are not happy with that first CAT result, but that's not a big deal - the extra months of available study time are there so that you can IMPROVE on this initial practice result. Once you've taken that CAT, you should report back with your scores and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Ok. Sounds reasonable. I will do the test during weekend and report back my score :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gempony,

Rich

Took some time today to finish the diagnostic test in OG 2018. Please see my results attached. I found Problem Solving much harder than those in Manhattan prep. Looks like I have to spend more time to work on that.
Attachments

gmat test initial results.jpg
gmat test initial results.jpg [ 979.24 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gempony,

CAT refers to Computer-Adaptive Test, so when I mentioned taking that first CAT, I was actually referring to one of the Official GMAC practice CATs (not the pencil-and-paper OG test). You can download 2 CATs for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). Unfortunately, that paper test isn't a great way to realistically measure how you might score on the Official GMAT, so you'll still need to take a CAT (so that we can properly assess your current skills, strengths and weaknesses).

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gempony,

CAT refers to Computer-Adaptive Test, so when I mentioned taking that first CAT, I was actually referring to one of the Official GMAC practice CATs (not the pencil-and-paper OG test). You can download 2 CATs for free from https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). Unfortunately, that paper test isn't a great way to realistically measure how you might score on the Official GMAT, so you'll still need to take a CAT (so that we can properly assess your current skills, strengths and weaknesses).

Rich

Is this the test you mentioned?

Thanks!

Regards,
Gem
Attachments

CAT test.jpg
CAT test.jpg [ 243.63 KiB | Viewed 1636 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gem,

YES - those are the free practice CATs that I was referring to. You should take just one and make sure to take the FULL CAT (all sections in one sitting).

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gem,

YES - those are the free practice CATs that I was referring to. You should take just one and make sure to take the FULL CAT (all sections in one sitting).

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have just completed my first practice CAT. Not that impressive. Need to improve by 100 points to get to where I want to be.

This is a good practice and I have come across some question formats which I have not seen before.

My goal is to improve by 50 points by end of sept. :)

Any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Gem
Attachments

GMAT CAT 1.jpg
GMAT CAT 1.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 1541 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]