Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Overall GMAT FE help [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi. 12 hrs/ week is great. It can be tricky to study in college and then also study for the GMAT, but if you can put in quality time (early in the morning type of thing, that would be great).

As a college student, you should usually be beating us old folks in terms of your freshness with high school math and things like that (though there is no more grammar).
On GMAT Focus, all your scores and sections add up to the overall score equally (not the questions you got right but the scores on a section), so it makes sense to max out your sections based on what you love and can do well. So i would start with your best performing section - something that you enjoy the most and can hammer the most.

In terms of course/books vs. questions and poking around GMAT Club. Both methods have been used and both work for certain situations.
Using a methodical approach with books or a course covers everything - that's like using a big paint roller and covering large areas of wall space - works great if you are starting out as it gives you a plan and focus. It tends to be more efficient as you cover material and don't have to go back to it. Using the question approach, you are touching up things here and there with a brush, and it works if most of your wall is painted but it is a slug if you are painting a wall with a small touch-up brush. There is also no end in sight as you keep solving questions sometimes for months.

I would say that you don't want to take up the methodical approach until you have the time. Ideally you study for the GMAT only for 3 months and mo more to avoid memory leakage, so get a calendar out, mark the best 3 months and then plunge yourself into it. The key is staying committed and focused. What you use is almost secondary.

­Thank you for your in depth response! Got it, I will begin with my best performing section. And thank you for the answers of the 2 different methods. I will keep both in mind.

Do you have any other advice regarding how to exactly use the error log (should I come back to commonly missed questions/topics in 1-2 weeks, something like that?), overall B school advice given my credentials, mental stamina/test endurance advice besidees hammering out mocks, or anything else!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72915 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Overall GMAT FE help [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would recommend to focus on one problem at a time 😇

For the error log, it’s totally up to you. Your goal is to make sure that none of these errors and mistakes resurrect themselves. You don’t want a zombie apocalypse so you goal is to whack him and that may mean reviewing them every day or reviewing them every week, and more than that, not only reviewing but also explaining and knowing how to solve them if you encounter them again. This may mean learning some new rules on new methods or new approaches. If you want a high score, you cannot afford to have any gaps.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
­Hi rkhanka,

Glad to see you are looking into TTP! Have you had a chance to check out the trial?
GMAT Club Bot