Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
Ivan91

A good number of our students do work in investment bas post MBA. We are just starting to collect the employment stats for the class that graduated last year (we survey graduates three months after graduation as per widely accepted guidelines) so we will know in a few months.

However, I should encourage you to consider your own background as well. As you pointed out, investment baing is highly competitive, and it takes more than just an MBA or career services to get you into that sector. Very strong academics, high GMAT, relevant work experience, sharp mind, good personality and a strong achievement-drive are all needed.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
@CambridgeMBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
This is my profile guys:

25 years/Male/Trinidadian
Undergrad: B.Sc. Management Studies (Minor in Finance), The University of The West Indies
Upper Second Class Honours (GPA 3.23)
Currently Pursuing a Graduate Certificate in Supply Chain Management from ASU (GPA 4.0)
Total Work Experience: 5 years (Graduate Research 2, Finance 1, Oil & Gas 2)
Currently working at a multinational Oil & Gas Company (BP)
GMAT: 690 (q45,v40)

What are my chances at Cambridge & Oxford?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CambridgeMBA wrote:
Ivan91

However, I should encourage you to consider your own background as well. As you pointed out, investment baing is highly competitive, and it takes more than just an MBA or career services to get you into that sector. Very strong academics, high GMAT, relevant work experience, sharp mind, good personality and a strong achievement-drive are all needed.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
@CambridgeMBA

OK, so even if I get a top notch MBA, they will still consider my undergrad GPA in order to get a job as an investment banker ? In this case, I should keep it perfect :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
R3 Judge app submitted....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Does an MBA from Saïd or Judge opens the gate to the whole alumni world of Oxford or Cambridge?

People have told me that Saïd and Judge are "segregated" from the parent university. Is that true?
Send PM
The students at Judge are fully integrated into Cambridge university. Like every other student in cambridge, they are members of one of the more than 30 colleges which serve as the platform for students to interact with other students and faculty from across the university. Our students can also become members of the Cambridge university alumni club when they graduate.

The business school has made a conscious decision to be fully integrated with the university, which is not the case in many other schools. We have faculty from other departments teaching courses at the Judge and we are also part of the School of Technology.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you for clearing that out.

Round 2 deadline for Cambridge is behind us, is it subsequently tougher to apply in round 3?
Send PM
Actually, round 3 deadline was on Monday and we are reading through the applications right now.

It does not make a difference to your chances of admission which round you apply in. but I encourage people to apply early so that you can start making preparations for the MBA if you are admitted.

Best wishes

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry I was mistaken, I was talking about Round 4.

Thank you for your answer, I will therefore apply for Round 4.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
Submitted app for oxford R2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
Send PM
any round 2 candidates?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: M&A
Schools:UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Send PM
applied to said r2, best of luck to all, cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: M&A
Schools:UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Send PM
Sorry, I asked this question earlier and actually asked it on another board as well and have received no responses - not sure if that means it's a stupid question or if no one has a perspective. I applied to Said bc it's a one year program attached to Oxford and since I will probably stay in my field it seemed like an appealing option. How does Said compare to a school like Darden in the US?

I am looking for some candid feedback beyond the rankings. After five years at looking at these inane numbers, I can confidently say that Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, LBS and INSEAD are consistently the top schools, beyond that I think they are of little value. Thanks team, much appreciated, cheers!

@ingoditrust: I went to Kelley undergrad, be sure to reach out if you have any questions about the program or bloomington in general, I can give you the low-down.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ntenzer wrote:
Sorry, I asked this question earlier and actually asked it on another board as well and have received no responses - not sure if that means it's a stupid question or if no one has a perspective. I applied to Said bc it's a one year program attached to Oxford and since I will probably stay in my field it seemed like an appealing option. How does Said compare to a school like Darden in the US?

I am looking for some candid feedback beyond the rankings. After five years at looking at these inane numbers, I can confidently say that Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, LBS and INSEAD are consistently the top schools, beyond that I think they are of little value. Thanks team, much appreciated, cheers!

@ingoditrust: I went to Kelley undergrad, be sure to reach out if you have any questions about the program or bloomington in general, I can give you the low-down.

Here are my 2 cents for the first part:

If you want to stay in US then Darden should be your choice but if you want to stay in EU or Asia oxford is a better option. Oxford is on an upward swing in rankings as well as reputation. From what I have heard and read on different forums Oxford in next 5-10 years will end up in top 10 international mba schools so 5 years down the line you can say I am from this top school ( if it matters). On the other hand if you look at Darden it has not moved up a lot in rankings and has stayed put in top 15 schools of USA. Oxford gives you the "Oxford" brand, which is known everywhere in world. A brand that you can leverage on later in your career.

Honestly if I had the luxury to chose between Darden and Oxford I would go for oxford as the school gives me a better opportunity to reach my goals. So it depends on your goals and which school gives a better opportunity to reach your goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
ingoditrust wrote:
ntenzer wrote:

Here are my 2 cents for the first part:

If you want to stay in US then Darden should be your choice but if you want to stay in EU or Asia oxford is a better option. Oxford is on an upward swing in rankings as well as reputation. From what I have heard and read on different forums Oxford in next 5-10 years will end up in top 10 international mba schools so 5 years down the line you can say I am from this top school ( if it matters). On the other hand if you look at Darden it has not moved up a lot in rankings and has stayed put in top 15 schools of USA. Oxford gives you the "Oxford" brand, which is known everywhere in world. A brand that you can leverage on later in your career.

Honestly if I had the luxury to chose between Darden and Oxford I would go for oxford as the school gives me a better opportunity to reach my goals. So it depends on your goals and which school gives a better opportunity to reach your goals.

I agree with ingoditrust as well. Depends on yr post MBA goals. Where do you want to work and if you want a little bit more global network (Oxford) or a network which is largely concentrated in US.

Either way, both good schools. ATB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Do I still have great career prospects in the EU if I graduate from a top US B-school ? Or I`d better go to LBS, Said, Judge, Insead, or IMD ?

Originally posted by Ivan91 on 20 Jan 2011, 17:55.
Last edited by Ivan91 on 21 Jan 2011, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
Do I ll stihave great career prospects in the EU if I graduate from a top US B-school ? Or I`d better go to LBS, Said, Judge, Insead, or IMD ?

To your first question the answer is NO until unless the schools are H/S/W. Otherwise you are better off with LBS, Said, Judge, INSEAD or IMD.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  28