Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:43 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [10]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: 740 (Q49, V42) -- from 520 (first diagnostic test) [#permalink]
Kudos
@gurpreetsingh: questions in quant were very similar to OG. In Verbal, RC and CS were also on par with OG. CR on the other hand was terribly difficult.
Of course, if you wish to achieve quant 51 you probbably will need to know comb&perm as well. but for me it wasn't worth it. I preferred to work on my verbal rather than insist on quant.

@DAYNE: For Quant fist I read the mgamt books. I wrote down every single formula or trick (except for the VERY basic stuff). I think for which of the quant books my notes+practice problems from OG were like 50-60 pages. After each book I read again my notes and made flash cards (= my mostly rewrtiting the theory). I read the advanced chapters as well and tooj notes.
I did the problems in the order in which they were listed at the end of the mgmat books.
I didn't have any particular way to study for DS, but I was better in DS than in PS in MY CATs.
Overall I think my hit rate in the OG in quant was like 60%...don't know why, I was always decent at math.

I went through all the OG quant problems once. During my last week I did the last 50questions for DS and PS again.
For Verbal, I circled at the end of each chapter, on the page with answerss which ones I got wrong and did them again (about 25 for sc and 35 for CR). I ran out of time and didn't do all OG texts in RC.

The reason I did not keep an excel error log is that I felt it as too time consuming. I remember typing in my answers from world translation problems and losing valuable time doing so. I then decided I would stop.
I used the MGMAT tests to gauge my weaknesses (they have a pretty tool which analyzes your performances in their CATS).

I have started to do practice CATs 3 Weeks before my test and stopped the week before. I think I sgould have done 1 or 2 tests during that last week 2 because by my 8th cat I was no longer feeling tired at the end of verbal. Yet in the real exam I felt exhausted starting from q10 in verbal...
Attachments

GPOA.doc [217.5 KiB]
Downloaded 183 times

GPSC.doc [397.5 KiB]
Downloaded 147 times

SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Thanks for the document, quite helpful +1 for ya..

I m quite happy to know that quant/Rc/Sc was at par with OG :-D ....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Great Score, Thanks for the debrief.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10037 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats!
Good luck with schools!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Quote:
LSAT questions- pretty easy and unrepresentative of the gmat; don't loose your time

leilak

Finally we ended having two major camps here -those who think that doing LSAT CR is usefull,and those who do not share that opinion :)
Could you please specify in more details,why do you think that using LSAT questions in GMAT preparation is waste of time?

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Hi leilak,
Hope to get some useful inputs from you regarding SC, CR, and RC.

Q1) How did you remember all your SC stuff, after reading Manhattan SC, there are just a lot of facts, How did u manage to remember and apply all at the same time? Did you use any flash cards, i.e. writing down all the formulas and looking them over before the 3 weeks?

Q2)During your practice CATS for SC were you able to always remember all the facts or did you just applied the facts you could remember and moved on?

Q3) For CR, since you followed powerscore, and i am following that too but as you might remember the book mentions that if your lacking time then skip to chapters on

Must be true/Inference
MainPoint
Assumption
Resolve the paradox
Strengthen the argument
Weaken the argument

Did you go through all the 10 types?
Do u recommend that its sufficient to go through the 6?

Q5)You mentioned you started giving practice CATS 3 weeks before thats quite early i must say, did you used to do a CAT every day? you mentioned you felt pretty tired when you reached Q10 in the verbal part, do u think practicing CATS would improve the mental ability to withstand that?

Q6)For improving RC do you really need to get the Manhattan RC book, i mean i felt the only way to improve RC is to improve reading heavy text and being able to remember key points without sleeping :)

Q7) Just one last Q, for RC you mentioned you started noting key points in all honesty didnt you feel say if you noted for a paragraph stating the body increases metabolism so on, did u used to noted down inc, met and when you referred to it again didnt you felt hey what is inc,met and also if you noted increased, metabolism then there would be so many such terms in a passage, to manage the time to note down and refer again?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
wow
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congrats... Great score. Thanks for the Debrief. How to improve the reading speed in Verbal. Any suggestions invited.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
congrates great score... good luck for application part
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts