Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 13:21 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 13:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73543 [0]
Given Kudos: 19087
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: 750 Q46, V48, AWA 6.0 [#permalink]
congrats dude!!!
and Good luck for your application.
can you suggest any book that will boost verbal score.
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
could you please share your verbal strategy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Congratulations! thanks for the verbal insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry for the late reply. I am afraid I can't really recommend material for the verbal. I am in a very odd situation where I started a company that helps Chinese students prepare for the SAT so, in a sense, my job has been prepping for the verbal section. That said, I did not really spend any extra time studying for it.

If it is helpful, I can try to explain the mental approach I took to this section that was helpful to me and a few others I have talked to. I think what is critical is understanding that the verbal test is not a test of intelligence or knowledge but of how careful a thinker you are. If anyone has read "Thinking Fast and Slow", they explain it in terms of the two competing brain systems (System 1 and System 2)

If you don't know it, the best way to demonstrate the difference is in looking at the following problems

2+2 =

7 cubed =

With the first one, you think of 4 even if you try not to. It is a reactive instinct. In fact, if you tried not to think of the answer you would be unable to. It's like how if I wrote "don't think about elephants", you will think about elephants. This is system 1. It is reactive.

The second question will require you to use system 2 unless you have memorized these problems beforehand or are a crazy math genius. You can get the answer easily, but it requires a moment of reasoning that is entirely optional. You can choose to answer or not answer.

The reason this is relevant is that in our daily lives we are prone to using system 1 whenever we can. It takes energy and effort to use system 2, and is actually unpleasant on a physiological level for most people. Especially for students in a place like China, the rote learning system is designed to help students memorize oceans of information that they can cram into system 1 and access as a memory. However, that leaves many unable or subconsciously unwilling to reason through the problem.

Anyway, I am sure this seems very broad and general. It is. It is also hard to recognize this switch until you make it... and then it all sort of comes together. The problem that I see is that so many test prep materials try to give people shortcuts which at best can only prepare you for a slight majority of questions. The key for me is not to be in a mindset where I am recalling how a specific question conforms to some general rule I have memorized. It is to consciously and deliberately articulate why the right answer is right and the other answers are wrong.

Once you make that mental jump, it's just about doing enough practice tests that you have your timing down. Obviously, I was not perfect on my test, but I would have done much worse on the verbal section without changing that aspect of my understanding.

I hope that is useful and not too "what is the sound of one hand clapping"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 629 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Awesome Advice: Its about training your brain to be flexible,sharp able to reason quickly, that's all about it, it all comes from practice.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73543 [0]
Given Kudos: 19087
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations on all the admits !!!!

Have you decided where you will be matriculating?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Nice advices. 46 on Verbal is phenomenal!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37610 posts