Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Dilemma GMAT 750, AWA 3.5 [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm not a consultant or expert, but with a 3.5, it might be (unfortunately) necessary to retake, in my opinion. Failing to do so could put your essays in a negative light, especially since they will probably be pretty well-written in comparison to your AWA. This could cast doubt into whether you actually wrote your own essays. It sucks, given that you got a 750, but I guess ultimately it's up to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Check with some of the MBA consulting firms such as MBA Mission (I think they collaborate with MGMAT). They know the in and out of how these Essays are considered by top schools. They should be able to guide you.

Also, I have heard that lot of people use the Additional Essay as the means to explain such quirks/inconsistency in their applications; BUT BE TRUTHFUL at all cost at all times :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
I'm not a consultant or expert, but with a 3.5, it might be (unfortunately) necessary to retake, in my opinion. Failing to do so could put your essays in a negative light, especially since they will probably be pretty well-written in comparison to your AWA. This could cast doubt into whether you actually wrote your own essays. It sucks, given that you got a 750, but I guess ultimately it's up to you.

This is what I fear, esp since I'm planning to devote significant time and effort into doing my essays. Logically, if I were them, I would think along the same line.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't think you need to worry too much but double-checking with an admissions consultant would be good.

Any idea why or how you got 3.5?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
750 and a 3.5!!! Thats like a win and no win situation. Honestly, the effort required for essay writing is exaggerated. The first round of essays for the first school will be a slog, but once you got your first school essays done, the other school essays will be a cake walk, especially if you are taking the help of a consultant. I could complete 2 B school essays in 12 days. Left the third school essays to be done after my GMAT in first week of Sept. And my essays are GOOD. I put some good effort in drafting them.

So if you feel in any way that you need to retake the GMAT, I am sure you will be able to manage time for essays and GMAT 2. Having scored a 750 earlier, you wont be required to fret too much on Q & V, just master the chinese burned AWA tips, a 6.0 AWA will be guaranteed in a weeks time. Who knows you might land up wit a 780 this time. :)

On a different note, I read some where that the AWA essays are sent to the B schools!!!!! Not sure if its really the case. Our experts can shed some light on that. bb any comments?

But, if the adcoms do get the AWA essays, a good reason to retake may be??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's pretty stupid on my part. I procrastinated and essentially had 8 days to study for my GMAT so I cut out all the "fat" from the study plan which includes the AWA section. I read the instructions regarding the AWA for the first time during my real GMAT test. Understandably, I was slow and had trouble finishing both essays in time due to lack of practice but I did not expect it to be a 3.5.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I'd suggest you reach out directly to the adcoms of your target schools, and explain (sincerely) what happened.; ask them for their advice. I expect them to be understanding. There's a good chance that they'll tell you to forget about it, and proceed with submitting the rest of your app.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dude... I came across this link https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a- ... rvice.aspx

It seems you can ask them to reassess you AWA Essays. BUT NOTE: It says "Rescoring may result in increases or decreases in your original AWA score." So be careful! You would not want them to reduce your score to 3.0 - that would make the situation even worse, but at-least you have an option. Now it all depends on how confident you are. If you are considering a retake then you might as well give this option a shot. If they give you 4.0, you keep it, otherwise go ahead with the retake - BUT again ONLY if you are considering a retake. I would be really sad if I had to retake a 750 :(. Good luck man!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
oh man... really feel sorry for u...

but i would never retake a 750 score !!, may be u can explain why the AWA score is low through the extra essay in de application
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Ouch! But I tend to agree with ebonn101 on this one....You don't want the adcom either thinking that you blew off the essay section or thinking that you are a poor writer.

I also believe that good writing skills are something that business schools place a huge premium on (not on the AWA score per say -- but good writing in general). After all, in b-school -- a lot of courses will require you to write case summaries and reports, business plans and so on.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I've given it some thoughts and have decided to rewrite the GMAT and apply in R2. Will let you guys know how things turn out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
deadlycat wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I've given it some thoughts and have decided to rewrite the GMAT and apply in R2. Will let you guys know how things turn out.

OMG.... I am very sad for you, trust me! :( :( I heartily want you get more than 750 this time. I am so sorry. All the very best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Official score just came in the mail, GMAT 760, AWA 4.5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
I read it that most top 20 like to see AWA's from the GMAT to compare them with the essays submitted to the school to verify that essay are ur orginal piece..Great essays and 3.5 AWA may put u in a tight spot.
GMAT Club Bot