Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Re: CMU Tepper Class of 2014 - Admitted Students Thread [#permalink]
Thanks for posting! I agree - it's hard focusing on work now with all the prep needed to transition to school!

Does anyone here have experience with PODS or Door-to-Door (portable storage/moving containers)? I'm looking into those services to help move my stuff, but there's a lot of bad reviews online for those companies.

How are people planning on moving? The key factor here is affordability :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
purpleshirt wrote:
Thanks for posting! I agree - it's hard focusing on work now with all the prep needed to transition to school!

Does anyone here have experience with PODS or Door-to-Door (portable storage/moving containers)? I'm looking into those services to help move my stuff, but there's a lot of bad reviews online for those companies.

How are people planning on moving? The key factor here is affordability :)

ugh!!! Don't remind me. I've moved 4 times in the past 5 years. Granted none of them were further than 50 miles but I hate moving. And there is no cheap way (unless you do it yourself but thats not always that cheap either). When my girlfriend moved from Williamsport, PA to Philadelphia, PA (about 3 hours, 177 miles) it cost her under $1000, around $900. It was just her stuff and she had a decent amount:

Queen bed and set
3 Dressers
2 Couches
Etc.

That's around $5.08 a mile. Now that is only one data point (williamsport is a very cheap place to live) and may be meaningless for most people on this board but what the hell, figured I'd post it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i'm assuming everyone got the email asking to confirm his or her (everyone is singular so must use his or her, 1 year removed and the gmat still owns my brain) address?

Seems like shadyside and squirrel hill are the places to live for Tepper students. Anyone familiar with Pittsburgh or the area? I only know because Vixer has been kind enough to keep in touch with me while he attends Tepper.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, even I know about it ...all thanks to Vixer.....!!! Considering that I am an international student and since I will not be able to attend the Welcome Weekend, I would need to start figuring out soon about the housing :). Any comments or advice are welcome.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
ugh!!! Don't remind me. I've moved 4 times in the past 5 years. Granted none of them were further than 50 miles but I hate moving. And there is no cheap way (unless you do it yourself but thats not always that cheap either). When my girlfriend moved from Williamsport, PA to Philadelphia, PA (about 3 hours, 177 miles) it cost her under $1000, around $900. It was just her stuff and she had a decent amount:

Queen bed and set
3 Dressers
2 Couches
Etc.

That's around $5.08 a mile. Now that is only one data point (williamsport is a very cheap place to live) and may be meaningless for most people on this board but what the hell, figured I'd post it.

Thanks for the data point! I am moving about 250 miles and PODS and Door-to-Door both quoted me around $700 for the move. I think renting a Uhaul costs $200 (not including gas). With gas and taxes/fees, it'll probably come out to $350 at least. Just doesn't seem like there's any way around it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
anyone get the packet yet?

The countdown website is a lot more informative than I thought! I fumbled through it the first time I opened it but going through it now, its pretty comprehensive.
Director
Director
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:

The countdown website is a lot more informative than I thought! I fumbled through it the first time I opened it but going through it now, its pretty comprehensive.

Yar, mine arrived yesterday, but I won't tell you what's in it :o /suspense
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
explorer21 wrote:

Yar, mine arrived yesterday, but I won't tell you what's in it :o /suspense

mine did too! I wish they had more details in their job's report. It's really no better than online. A little disappointted by that. I'll just call the COC i guess
Director
Director
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
mine did too! I wish they had more details in their job's report. It's really no better than online. A little disappointted by that. I'll just call the COC i guess

Yeah, I was a little unsure why they sent easily found career information, but it was a nice gesture to keep contact. They did have club leaders' email addresses so that's pretty helpful, and those students might give you a better sense for recruiting and opportunities.

Since your concentrations are operations and statistics, are you trying to place with someone like Amazon, or leaning towards consulting?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
explorer21 wrote:

Yeah, I was a little unsure why they sent easily found career information, but it was a nice gesture to keep contact. They did have club leaders' email addresses so that's pretty helpful, and those students might give you a better sense for recruiting and opportunities.

Since your concentrations are operations and statistics, are you trying to place with someone like Amazon, or leaning towards consulting?

I think operations consulting. I love there Business Analytics track but I really have to learn whats truely out there. I have to admit. I was math undergrad and did not have exposure to what is out there. So that could change.

What about you Method?
Director
Director
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
I think operations consulting. I love there Business Analytics track but I really have to learn whats truely out there. I have to admit. I was math undergrad and did not have exposure to what is out there. So that could change.

What about you Method?

Awesome, yeah I think the business analytics track is one of the Tepper differentiators. Accounting, tech, ops, and stats is a powerful assembly of skills.

Planning on social sector here, most likely K-12 public education working in finance and operations. Need to pickup corporate treasury skills, supply chain management, and human resources. Assuming I get into Heinz, I'll study urban education policy and a few nonprofit topics.

We should definitely link up if we both attend! Seems like there's a lot of overlap in our backgrounds, present and future skillsets. I have information systems experience in manufacturing and I'm sitting for CPA/CMA this year, and I see you've got accounting in manufacturing too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
explorer21 wrote:

What about you Method?

Awesome, yeah I think the business analytics track is one of the Tepper differentiators. Accounting, tech, ops, and stats is a powerful assembly of skills.

Planning on social sector here, most likely K-12 public education working in finance and operations. Need to pickup corporate treasury skills, supply chain management, and human resources. Assuming I get into Heinz, I'll study urban education policy and a few nonprofit topics.

We should definitely link up if we both attend! Seems like there's a lot of overlap in our backgrounds, present and future skillsets. I have information systems experience in manufacturing and I'm sitting for CPA/CMA this year, and I see you've got accounting in manufacturing too.

haha seriously. I am an acting controller at a manufacturing plant. My company won't give me the controller title because I don't have an accounting degree. Doing year end right now actually.
Director
Director
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
haha seriously. I am an acting controller at a manufacturing plant. My company won't give me the controller title because I don't have an accounting degree. Doing year end right now actually.

Yeah, we're in the same situation. This'll be your last one there! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
explorer21 wrote:

Yeah, we're in the same situation. This'll be your last one there! :wink:

Nice discussion going on between you two :) I was feeling a bit left out :P

I wish I was so clear about my goals as you two are. Coming from technology consulting background, I am still deciding between Consulting and Operations/Supply Chain. Considering that I have very little idea of operations/supply chain, I would want to fully utilize the curriculum and the insights of you guys to learn as much as I can to make an informed decision.

Btw method, even I have plans of getting into the K-12 education sector. Would definitely like to discuss about it with you sometime.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
zohaibmahmood wrote:

Nice discussion going on between you two :) I was feeling a bit left out :P

I wish I was so clear about my goals as you two are. Coming from technology consulting background, I am still deciding between Consulting and Operations/Supply Chain. Considering that I have very little idea of operations/supply chain, I would want to fully utilize the curriculum and the insights of you guys to learn as much as I can to make an informed decision.

Btw method, even I have plans of getting into the K-12 education sector. Would definitely like to discuss about it with you sometime.

Don't feel left out. Believe me, my goals can change. That is why I love basecamp, you get an education into career paths. It will really benefit me and help me target a path and industry.

Plus it sounds like we are looking at similar options. You are looking at consulting and operations/supply chain. I am looking at Operations/Supply Chain Consulting. That being said, I really don't know what ops/supply chain jobs are out there that might interest me and I am currently in semi ops role (operational finance) so i probably should know. I am not 100% on ops consulting though, a better work-life balance in an ops job might be better for me.

Point is that I think a lot of us are unsure of our goals and whats out there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
the personalized pens in the welcome packet is a NICE touch!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
purpleshirt wrote:
the personalized pens in the welcome packet is a NICE touch!

Yeah it was. Does the packet smell weird to you? It is the paper that they used. Not like stinky but definitely has a smell. I need to air that bad boy out!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4