Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 11:59 It is currently 06 May 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: 5 year plan [#permalink]
Kudos
Until you actually begin prepping for the test, there isn't much anyone can tell you.

Simple habits are listed all over this website:

Brush up on basic math skills (algebra, geo, basic trig, word translations, etc.)
Read well published materials routinely to hone skills on proper written English (RC and SC mostly)

Once you get to the prep stage, then people can provide specific feedback. For now, routinely reading and not letting your math get rusty is about all you should do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos for thinking ahead! Good luck during your journey.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Zay! I'm trying to pretty hard to plan and take control of my life. Unfortunately, every time I do that - Joker's dialogue from the Dark Knight comes to my mind: "Everbody's got plans. You know they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I try to show schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are"... and then I get discouraged. Sigh.

And thanks for the advice mohater!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Welcome! Just take your time and get familiar with admission criteria and test overview. As you have some more time to prepare, i would not rush into it at all. Extracurriclum activities and community work are good points on your cv. So consider things like this for the next few years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
As an ex Big 4 myself... I will give you this advice. Between the accounting exam and getting adjusted to the new job you will not know up from down for the first 2 years. I would say CFA will make your life even more difficult that it needs to be.

So I propose: Year 1 - Focus on work... you will be thrown into tons of trainings and the learning curve is steep. Make sure you are ready for it. Busy season on its own will test what you are made of.

Year 2 - CA exam focus and Big 4 will give you plenty of opportunities to get community service involvement. Pick one of their causes and stick with it.

Year 3 - Do CFA here (if you want to, you may decide it wont do much in terms of career advancement by this time). This is also promotion year for most Big 4s so kick career into overdrive... At this point you will be reading tons of accounting literature so you are working on your RC skills. In addition, you will be expected to read various industry publications so that will help as well.

Year 4 - GMAT should be here... but also ensure that you are on track for manager promotion. Great time to do an overseas assignment... looks good on applications and Big 4 almost require it for manager promotion.

Year 5 - Hey you should be manager by now... another promotion year! Kicker here... Big 4 may pick up the cost of an EMBA at this point. You already took the GMAT or have been studying for it to take soon. Get your ducks in a row and you are ready to apply!

Hopefully this helps!

Last... you will live in excel... dont forget how to do mental math... I sure did!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the great advice wallstreetbarbie! Really appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Rayo wrote:
Unfortunately, every time I do that - Joker's dialogue from the Dark Knight comes to my mind: "Everbody's got plans. You know they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I try to show schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are"... and then I get discouraged. Sigh.

Joker also said, " Why so serious? " .
You are too young at this stage, and 5 years down the line, you might not want to do an MBA at all . Thinking ahead is good, but leave 5 year plans to government policies.
For now, Live your life, see the world. :-D

P.S. You should definitely think about GMAT if you want your MBA punched right after college. But, in your case, I assume that you have ruled out that possibility altogether.
GMAT Club Bot