Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink]
hi Rajeev,

in the same boat , have taken 2 preps Q46 46. Will have to take it to 50 n for that hv 2 b quick off the block wth some serious planning/strategy; kudos to u for starting this thread. Exam date may end.

Have done all set 1 Q's from Arun Sharma n BRM from IMS, all sets of 700 800 of Bunuel, some 7 samurai sets, JEFF sacman extreme challenge both ps n ds , set,statistics from Jeff Sacman Gmat Math Og 11 last 100 Q's.

Took Gmat club test 25 in a non timed atm n was ok, dnt remeber the score.Gmat club diagnostic got 30 correct of 45. The wrong ones were mainly from the 1st 30. Jeff Sacman was not of a problem, it mainly hovers round probability n P&C n if u hv good understanding of the concepts it wl b a breeze. My analysis - ok with Adv concepts but the simpler ones hv gone rusty.

Planning to redo all Bunuel posts, OG 12, Jeff Sacman Gmat Maths concept wise - in between will take gmat prep twice guess that wl exhaust the series n then finally jump on the gmat prep Q's n continue with the CAT's.

Thats my plan in a nutshell n will try to stick to it.

Rgds Susmit

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
Varun84 wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Doing the gmat club tests and realising how tough they are. rather the level of toughness increases with the test number.
@ All my fellows, I have gone through the Jeff's set also but IMO the GMATCLUB Tests have the hardest 700 + level questions required to raise our level in quant. I strongly recommend them to all my fellows aspiring for the ultimate score in Quant. Since I am currently doing htese tests, so i thought it's my bonafied duty to give my opinion to all my fellows.
Good Luck and must do these tests. They are Gold.

Hi rajeevrks... gr8 thread mate... really good tips & study plan to improve quant scores ... Regarding the gmatclub tests, I only have access to the free tests as I do not have many posts in this forum... So when you say that these tests are gr8 are you talking about the free tests or others? In case its the other tests (not the free ones) then I'll probably have to buy these as I really do need to improve my quant score as I could only score 48 on actual gmat the 1st time I gave the test. Don't wanna screw up again !

Thanx !

Hi Varun, Thanx mate. You can gain access to these tests by another ways if buying them is a problem. check out this link by bb
gmat-club-member-benefits-in-detail-120889.html
Also check out the signatures of Bunnel some very hard and good questions.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
Hi sushmit, you plan is good and i am sure you will score much more than 46 after doing the second practice.
Any specific reason for not including all 25 tests of gmatclub in ur study regimen?
Rajeev
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi bellcurve, I have written my strategy above and after following it for more than a month, now i am consistently scoring 49 in quant. Hope to finish the journey with 50/50+.
How about ur strategy, what score u r getting and which all books ur referring to?
Cheers
Rajeev
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rajeev,

I don't think I got your question. Are you referring to additional questions?
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Send PM
Hi Rajeev,

Don't have that many posts against my name hence restricting myself to the free ones M 25.

Wrt my plan ; 1. Completed OG 11 PS n DS
2. Re_ Done Bunuel 700+ DS

Next will touch upon Bunuel 700+ PS n ;OG 12 n then J Sackman series - the ones where -that I feel is pulling me down.

Will take gmatprep today ; will keep u postedm

Rgds Susmit

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Gave gmatprep ystrday n Oooooo again a consistent Q46.

Analysis :of total 16 wrongs , 6 were sitters/ext silly mistakes.I cld have without even batting my eyelid reduced the no of mistakes to 2)
Conceptual mistakes ; 5-6 ( Freq Distribn , Median_ Mode Type , Mixture,); Rest it was time management that was taking a toll.

In the last 25 _ 37 series - got 7 wrong of which 4 were in a row - unpardonable mist n it was mainly due to poor time mgmt n had to rush thru the Q's.

WiLl revisit the conceptual errors n next for the MGMCAT series on which I am planning to dive from this weekend. Will try to manage time more effectively.

Strtegy : ist 15 in 40 mins ,16-24 in10 mins n last 12 in25.

Let's see hw things shape up.

Rgds Susmit

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
skmskm wrote:
Hi All,

Gave gmatprep ystrday n Oooooo again a consistent Q46.

Analysis :of total 16 wrongs , 6 were sitters/ext silly mistakes.I cld have without even batting my eyelid reduced the no of mistakes to 2)
Conceptual mistakes ; 5-6 ( Freq Distribn , Median_ Mode Type , Mixture,); Rest it was time management that was taking a toll.

In the last 25 _ 37 series - got 7 wrong of which 4 were in a row - unpardonable mist n it was mainly due to poor time mgmt n had to rush thru the Q's.

WiLl revisit the conceptual errors n next for the MGMCAT series on which I am planning to dive from this weekend. Will try to manage time more effectively.

Let's see hw things shape up.

Rgds Susmit

Good luck with your preperation, but please do us a favour and write without all those abbreviations, I find your posts very hard to read.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
skmskm wrote:

I have my doubts about ur strategy of giving more time to initial questions and less time to last 10-15.
If you do well initially, you will face questions which are more hard and thus more time consuming.
IMO, it's better to go at a normal pace of 2 min/qns as average.
Do let us know what you think about what i mentioned above?
Regards
Rajeev
Retired Moderator
Send PM
A cool thread with some very helpful tricks
trouble-with-quant-some-tips-traps-that-might-help-you-34329.html
Highly recommended to all my fellow test takers questing to achieve higher score.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Took powerprep 1 and 2 and score 50 and 51 in them respectively. Not overwhelmed because i know the lenient scoring system and the easy level of questions.
BTW, after having finished almost half the mgmat advanced quant, I have gained a lot and i highly recommend this book to be done before jumping onto the gmatclub tests and jeff sackmann's challenge sets( 1000 questions). The book is well structured , organised and practical. A must have to score 50+.
Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Took powerprep 1 and 2 and score 50 and 51 in them respectively. Not overwhelmed because i know the lenient scoring system and the easy level of questions.
BTW, after having finished almost half the mgmat advanced quant, I have gained a lot and i highly recommend this book to be done before jumping onto the gmatclub tests and jeff sackmann's challenge sets( 1000 questions). The book is well structured , organised and practical. A must have to score 50+.
Good luck.

Have you done any MGMAT CAT's yet? And do you already have a test date?

I will write my test on Friday. Have done another MGMAT CAT today and scored a 48 again. Yesterday I did a GMATPrep CAT and only scored a 47. I still struggle with word probems and I got a couple of them wrong in the beginning. I tend to lose confidence really quickly and become frustrated when I miss a couple of questions at the beginning and completely lost my focus yesterday. I don't know what to expect for Friday, I think I'll be glad if I get a 49, although that's probably not enough for what I wanna do( LSE Msc F&E), if I don't get enough of word problems I might get lucky and score a 50, but that's pretty unlikely since I haven't scored one in a mock test yet.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
BN1989 wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Good luck.

Have you done any MGMAT CAT's yet? And do you already have a test date?

I will write my test on Friday. Have done another MGMAT CAT today and scored a 48 again. Yesterday I did a GMATPrep CAT and only scored a 47. I still struggle with word probems and I got a couple of them wrong in the beginning. I tend to lose confidence really quickly and become frustrated when I miss a couple of questions at the beginning and completely lost my focus yesterday. I don't know what to expect for Friday, I think I'll be glad if I get a 49, although that's probably not enough for what I wanna do( LSE Msc F&E), if I don't get enough of word problems I might get lucky and score a 50, but that's pretty unlikely since I haven't scored one in a mock test yet.

I've done MGMAT 1 and MGMAT 2 and scored 47 and 48 in them respectively but those were done a month prior . Scored 48 in GMATPREP 1 almost two months prior. Saving the rest of the tests for the last one month.
All the very best for ur Actual. If you want to improve ur test day performance, you must remain relaxed and think that if i don't know a question, i would simply give an educated guess and move on. Afterall, it's not that one or two questions make or break our score but over anxiety and panic does bring the performance down. So simply remain cool and give ur best shot.
In the remaining days do only the official problems and review ur error log of official problems.
Good luck and god bless.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You're definitely right, timing is crucial and its one of my key weaknesses, I have a lot of trouble just skipping a problem and taking a random guess, especially if I've already invested around 2mins into a problem, because I somehow feel my confidence is shaken after skipping a problem. I've attached my last two MGMAT CATs and on those I'm still in the >95 percentile when I'm at around question 25. Although on one I completely misstimed the quant section and was 10min behind at question 25(although I doubt that test was GMAT like due to the number of 700-800 questions), on the other I was only behind 2min, and then still managed to drop back in the 87th percentile. I guess it's a combination of timing problems and stamina problems. I'm not too optimistic that I can improve on those areas in the last 3 days, but I will take another GMATPrep tomorrow and focus on my timing. I'd also appreciate some timing tips, if anybody has been through the same struggle.

2nd CAT:
https://imageshack.us/f/528/cat3z.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/f/195/cat4n.jpg/
Attachments

File comment: CAT 1 part 2
CAT 2.jpg
CAT 2.jpg [ 172.93 KiB | Viewed 6518 times ]

File comment: CAT 1 part 1
CAT 1.jpg
CAT 1.jpg [ 209.33 KiB | Viewed 6482 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BN1989 wrote:
I'd also appreciate some timing tips, if anybody has been through the same struggle.

You have to sacrifice ur ego while doing the test otherwise your result will be bad. If you will spend more than 3 minutes on a question, chances of doing that question correct are very bleak and even if you get it correct still you will put urself into a difficlut situation for the subsequent questions. As a rule, don't take more than 3 min on any question( that too an exceptional case otherwise not more than 2.30 min).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I would like to join in this marathon for a 50+ score. I would join you in this climb in a weeks time for sure :) .

Although i haven't take my GMAT yet. I'm sure i could go ahead with this serious preparation. Let me in if you are looking for study buddies :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
BN1989 wrote:
I did another mock test yesterday, this time the real gmatprep test. I noticed how different the algorithm on the gmatprep software is compared to MGMAT CAT. On MGMAT's CAT you can clearly see whether you got a question or two in a row wrong, because the software will lower the difficulty of the questions pretty quickly. On GMATprep however, you get easier questions throughout the test, even though you have made no mistakes in prior questions. I think its really important to kind of understand the software's algorithm, because I really was a little confused during the test, thinking that I got a lot of questions wrong, because the test kept throwing 500-600 level questions at me from time to time. I didnt really get a really tough problem until question 25, up until that question I only had to incorrect ones( but thought I had a lot more wrong), but the really tough problems on the GMATprep software are even harder than the 700-800 level questions on MGMAT. I scored a 49 on the quant section yesterday and I think maybe I could have scored higher if I hadn't assumed that i already got a lot of questions wrong. I also have to focus on the really tough questions, so I guess the gmatclub sets are next for me.

The Test Engine uses are bumpy curve to judge your level.
It throws in an easy one to start with then a really tougher level and it keeps alternating between these two until it gauges your actual level. The real test does have few test questions too that would be used in future. Hence one shouldn't really rely on the level of question rather he/she should rely on the timing and keep working on the solving the question within time. I hope this tip does help you :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts