Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Re: The industrial laws for environment protection enforced by [#permalink]
C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
I would go with A. This directly negates the premise about the massive scale of operations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
D it is.

GA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
C. What's the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Can you all explain how you use the logic to come to the conclusion please?

I'm picking C because it demonstrated the difficulty that the small operations are facing, which "neutralized" the argument in the stem that the large operations have tougher time adhering to the law.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Send PM
I'll pick D.

It says larger companies have to change more complex operations and spend much more money and so more pressure on the larger industrial units.

D says, Large industries are always in a better position to diversify their operations than are smaller industries

Thus, the pressure would not be more on larger industries compared to the smaller ones.

C tells that small industries have less money at there disposal, but there is no comparison with large industies. Also, they will be spending less money than large industries and are thus expected to have less money.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
IMO D should be the answer but C also comes close but D directly negates the Conclusion.

Saurabh Malpani
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Conclusion: Environmental requirement exerts more pressure on larger industries, because they have bigger operations and need more money to change more complex operations.

Ask for weakening.

(A) Environmental regulations are applicable in the same way to all segments of industry, irrespective of the size of operations.
Yes regulations are equally applicable but still it's likely that bigger operations need to spend more money. Not weakening.

(B) Many large industries depend on the smaller industries for their intermediaries.
It has nothing to do with the impact of environmental regulations, out of scope.

(C) Small industries are less likely to have at their disposal the capital reserves to improve their existing operations.
This one seems good, since it talks about why small industries may have greater burdons to improve the existing operation so that it becomes more environmental friendly.

(D) Large industries are always in a better position to diversify their operations than are smaller industries.
Environmental regulations require industries to make their process more environmental friendly, not require them to diversify their operations. Irrelavent.

(E) Many a times, the technology requirements of large and small industries are similar.
If it is talking about the tech requirement for environmental regulation then I would have chosen this one. But on second read it is talking about tech requirement for the industries themselves. Again kind of irrelavent to environment regulation requirements.

So I would choose C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
A) will explain if correct...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
christoph wrote:
A) will explain if correct...

I vote for C.

BTW, what has diversification of operations got to do with compliance to enviromental regulations.I'm sure no industry would give up their core business just to get past the burden of env. regulations.

HMTG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
Conclusion: Environmental requirement exerts more pressure on larger industries, because they have bigger operations and need more money to change more complex operations.

Ask for weakening.

(A) Environmental regulations are applicable in the same way to all segments of industry, irrespective of the size of operations.
Yes regulations are equally applicable but still it's likely that bigger operations need to spend more money. Not weakening.

(B) Many large industries depend on the smaller industries for their intermediaries.
It has nothing to do with the impact of environmental regulations, out of scope.

(C) Small industries are less likely to have at their disposal the capital reserves to improve their existing operations.
This one seems good, since it talks about why small industries may have greater burdons to improve the existing operation so that it becomes more environmental friendly.

(D) Large industries are always in a better position to diversify their operations than are smaller industries.
Environmental regulations require industries to make their process more environmental friendly, not require them to diversify their operations. Irrelavent.

(E) Many a times, the technology requirements of large and small industries are similar.
If it is talking about the tech requirement for environmental regulation then I would have chosen this one. But on second read it is talking about tech requirement for the industries themselves. Again kind of irrelavent to environment regulation requirements.

So I would choose C.

I have a question about the choice C.

Improving the existing operations need not necessarily be an environment friendly initiative. So wouldnt you think it is too broad in its scope?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
The author is trying to say the bigger industries are under greater pressure than the smaller industries are.

To weaken this conclusion we can show that the smaller industries are under much greate pressure. I believe (C) does it the best.

Even if we assume that the bigger industries have complex operations. then these industries can adhere to the regulations provided they have enough capital to change the manufacturing process.
It does not matter the what size or the complexity of the manufacturing process is. Does a particular indutsry have enough capital to chnage the process.
(C) clearly says that small industries dont have money. Hence it must be true that most of these will have to closedown if they cannot adhere to the regulations.

My answer would be (C)

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts