Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 20:26 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 20:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 2.49
WE:Other (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
anerzc wrote:
Catherine3 wrote:
Any one else here deciding between USC and UCLA.. I attended the admit weekend of USC and really loved it, connected with the students etc.. I couldn't attend the UCLA admit weekend and now I am not sure which school to attend.. any suggestions?

I am really confused so I would really appreciate any insight.

If you go to Anderson, there would be a space open for one of us undecided people!

But in all honesty, if I were you, I'd go to Anderson...but it also depends on your career goals. Generally speaking, Anderson is ranked higher. Also, being a part of the UC System, I believe that opens you up to classes at any other UC MBA program. I'm sure it's also impressive on the resume. I spoke to some current students and they love it.

But again, it really depends on you. =)

I want to get into CPG marketing post MBA.. I have been told USC Marketing is stronger but then UCLA ranking is generally higher.. hence confused!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Catherine3 wrote:
I want to get into CPG marketing post MBA.. I have been told USC Marketing is stronger but then UCLA ranking is generally higher.. hence confused!

It's worth asking where you want to work after school. UCLA generally has a stronger reputation nationwide, but USC has a stronger network in SoCal. If there's a specific company you want to work for, see if there are any hires out of either school. Like was said before, UCLA is generally ranked higher than USC, but they are both top tier schools (USC is even ranked higher than UCLA in The Economist ranking). The culture matters a lot too. Visit both schools and see which you are more comfortable with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gavinj1984 wrote:
Catherine3 wrote:

It's worth asking where you want to work after school. UCLA generally has a stronger reputation nationwide, but USC has a stronger network in SoCal. If there's a specific company you want to work for, see if there are any hires out of either school. Like was said before, UCLA is generally ranked higher than USC, but they are both top tier schools (USC is even ranked higher than UCLA in The Economist ranking). The culture matters a lot too. Visit both schools and see which you are more comfortable with.

My original query should have been more elaborate. Want to get into CPG Marketing, won't stay in SoCal but most likely the Bay Area at least for the next 3-5 years after MBA. Long term, may move to Singapore, Hong Kong or somewhere in South East Asia.. I heard from someone that USC has stronger presence in SE Asia. As for attending the schools, I will go visit UCLA but it won't be the same as attending admit weekend at USC.

As for my target companies, I know they recruit at USC, I just need to figure out if they do at UCLA or not..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Catherine3 wrote:
My original query should have been more elaborate. Want to get into CPG Marketing, won't stay in SoCal but most likely the Bay Area at least for the next 3-5 years after MBA. Long term, may move to Singapore, Hong Kong or somewhere in South East Asia.. I heard from someone that USC has stronger presence in SE Asia. As for attending the schools, I will go visit UCLA but it won't be the same as attending admit weekend at USC.

As for my target companies, I know they recruit at USC, I just need to figure out if they do at UCLA or not..

Both schools are pretty well represented in the Bay Area. USC does seem to have a little bit more clout in Southeast Asia. Although that depends on who you talk to. If you know that the company you want to work for hires out of USC, that's a big plus. Find out if they hire out of UCLA too. I'm probably going to go to USC (I've been accepted to USC and UCLA's FEMBA), because USC is stronger in the industry that I want to go into than UCLA. I can tell you that UCLA has a much nicer campus and is in a much nicer area of town.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
question for you guyz.

usc pm or uci full-time?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
xeddyboi420x wrote:
question for you guyz.

usc pm or uci full-time?

Are you going to stay at the same company? Same industry? Same function? If not, then I'd recommend the full time program. Have you been accepted to Merage? I'm still waitlisted.. =/

BTW - My husband graduated from Merage full time in '07. Things have changed since, and it is looking good.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received an email today from adcom member notifying me that AY status has changed: MBA Wait List. =/ Looks like I have 9 more days to wait..and to turn this around! *crossing fingers*

Anyone else?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
going to merage, unless marshall pans out, then i'll have some serious thinking to do...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anerzc wrote:
Received an email today from adcom member notifying me that AY status has changed: MBA Wait List. =/ Looks like I have 9 more days to wait..and to turn this around! *crossing fingers*

Anyone else?

Waitlisted as well. 9 days to turn it around? Did they mention they'll let us know in 9 days?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If we send them more info, we do we send it to? The general MBA admission email?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Operations (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
xeddyboi420x wrote:
going to merage, unless marshall pans out, then i'll have some serious thinking to do...

At least you'll be in a better neighborhood haha. I'm probably leaving Irvine to go to Marshall.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Lived overseas since 2003
Concentration: Management
Schools:Marshall
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Trainer
Send PM
Current Marshall full time student who got in off the wait-list last year. I know it is really painful waiting so I thought I'd share what my experience was to give some perspective.

I was wait-listed from R1 with no interview. I had excellent GMAT's, no grades but graduated with honors in Math and History (UCSC from before they issued), non-traditional background career switcher, older than average.

I got an interview the last week of May, and was admitted the last week of June.

I sent 2 replies in regards to the wait-list, one after I was notified to let them know I was still interested and give a update on a career achievement, one after R3 to let them know I was still very interested.

People literally do get admitted right up until orientation, however, I think chances might be better if you applied earlier.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
expatcominghome wrote:
Current Marshall full time student who got in off the wait-list last year. I know it is really painful waiting so I thought I'd share what my experience was to give some perspective.

I was wait-listed from R1 with no interview. I had excellent GMAT's, no grades but graduated with honors in Math and History (UCSC from before they issued), non-traditional background career switcher, older than average.

I got an interview the last week of May, and was admitted the last week of June.

I sent 2 replies in regards to the wait-list, one after I was notified to let them know I was still interested and give a update on a career achievement, one after R3 to let them know I was still very interested.

People literally do get admitted right up until orientation, however, I think chances might be better if you applied earlier.

Hi, expatcominghome. I am one international applicant in waitlist still since round2. I have sent 4 mails (long mails about my thoughts on management) to my interviewer (AD officer) after this decision. However, I've never got feedback. But in one call, she encouraged me to keep sending email to tell her what I want them to know. Did you receive replies after sending your mail last year? I can't understand why they just don't reply email. Thx a lot~
Intern
Intern
Send PM
treamwst wrote:
expatcominghome wrote:

Hi, expatcominghome. I am one international applicant in waitlist still since round2. I have sent 4 mails (long mails about my thoughts on management) to my interviewer (AD officer) after this decision. However, I've never got feedback. But in one call, she encouraged me to keep sending email to tell her what I want them to know. Did you receive replies after sending your mail last year? I can't understand why they just don't reply email. Thx a lot~

Who did you guys email? The person you interviewed with? Or just the MBA admissions office lady?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dizy wrote:
treamwst wrote:
expatcominghome wrote:

Who did you guys email? The person you interviewed with? Or just the MBA admissions office lady?

My interviewer gave me her email address after the interview. I think it would be respectful to email her rather than others.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dizy wrote:
Waitlisted as well. 9 days to turn it around? Did they mention they'll let us know in 9 days?

I say 9 days (June 1st) because in the email they sent us regarding the MBA.PM option, it said, "We expect that our full-time program will be at its maximum capacity by June 1." But like others had said, they can accept anyone up until Orientation. I aim for June 1st, though, for supplemental info deadline.

treamwst wrote:
dizy wrote:

My interviewer gave me her email address after the interview. I think it would be respectful to email her rather than others.

I emailed the interviewer for the thank you letter and questions, but when I talked to sheryl schreiber, she said to email the general email address. They will all look at it, print it, and put it in our file.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Lived overseas since 2003
Concentration: Management
Schools:Marshall
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Trainer
Send PM
treamwst wrote:
expatcominghome wrote:

When I emailed the office, I only got a simple general reply back. They do have a ton of applicants, so I would think it is a lot of work to reply to each email. I would not overload them with info and emails. Focus on reiterating your interest in the program and include only significant accomplishments (like you just completed a project that saved $X, just given a promotion, etc)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts