Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:35 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink]
piyatiwari - good luck! you are your main enimy I guess ;)
gautrang wrote:
Congrats on the good score,

Could you share more on how to deal with nervousness and self-doubt, when you know you are better, that you have the skill but you just got that goose bump when coming in the test.

After my 1st failure - it was so bad that only time could make me think that is was an incident... :) and then goood preparation confirmed my thinking

mmm well, my general thinking was - if my Math goes well, my verbal will go well too, so I analysed - why did I make silly mistakes at the actual test? 1) I like elegant solutions to problems. So once I couldn't find one, I would start getting nervous, waste time, panic... and then still solve the problem, thus losing time. And I told myself - solve the problem no matter how, but just do it. 2) careless notes to save time. I taught myself to be careful and not to skip any steps. For example, Manhattan has a fine quide how to solve divisibility or sign problems using tables. I would normally not do this at home, but that had negative effects on the actual test.
did all that at my final attempt and it worked out pretty well. And once you know that your 1st part went as planned, you are fine with the second as well. Plus, it was easier to get from 700 to 760, when you know that your future doesn't really depend on the results of this test. And you can use your old score.. I suggest maybe going out a couple of days before the test- in order not to get overly nervous or overprepare.
And - most importantly - don't think about what happens when you press "report my score" button :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thanks for sharing your experiences with us and i think this should really help out a first-timer like me who really want to give it my best shot once and for all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Awesome post and congratulations on your amazin score.. That is a truly inspirational story and shows you can achieve anythin if you persevere and stick to your guns..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.14
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your GMAT story.

I too have scored 580 (Q 48, V23) in my first attempt 8 months ago. I am taking the test again in June and your post has boosted my confidence.

Thank You! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts