Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:51 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, LBS, LSE, DSF, ISB
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink]
hi,

i must commend the work done by you in this post. i have very recently joined my 1st forum on GMAT. as i suppose time has come for me to start preparing for the same.
i had following apprehensions :
1. do embassies provide info. regarding MBA or MS in thir respective countries. i am interested for UK and US.
2. after a job experience of 2 good years. which is better course in a good college : MS in finance or marketing / 1yr.
MBA which requires job exp.
thanks
aditya
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Nelsonjp86 wrote:
Good List...But to be frank, people should alway look at the profile of the current and existing students. For example .. LBS, LSE have admit very high profiled individuals from the industry.. so work ex is extremely important. In fact, you stand very little chance even with a 700+ score, if you do not have relevant and about 5-6 years of work ex.

LBS is the only school you mentioned that asks for work experience. Other top schools , like LSE, Said, Hec, Imperial, Warwick do not require WE and the average age for their incoming class is usually 23 with 1 or less years of work experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
okay, but is 2 yrs. work ex. good enough??
and how do you rate my profile?
+1 - 78%
+2 - 81%
telecom. engg. - 67%

work ex. of 1 yr. - telecom. company.
let me know if what more can be done to improve my profile for an entry into a good m.b.a cllg??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
asquare412 wrote:
okay, but is 2 yrs. work ex. good enough??
and how do you rate my profile?
+1 - 78%
+2 - 81%
telecom. engg. - 67%

work ex. of 1 yr. - telecom. company.
let me know if what more can be done to improve my profile for an entry into a good m.b.a cllg??

LBS is looking for candidates with at least 4-5 years of Work experience. There are other great programs that dont require WE.
For instance, Said`s MS in Financial economics , or maybe Imperial`ls Ms Finance and LSE`s Ms Finance :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Can someone give any idea about MSc in Finance in Canada?

UofT, Schulich, Ivey... these are like the top schools. But I'm actually looking for the universities in the next tier?

Is there any one from Uni of McMaster of Uni of Saskatchewan?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Programming (Manufacturing)
Send PM
hi guys,
well i am trying for a MS in finance.
well my profile is good except for the gpa part in coll, which is a meager 6.34/10 but my college was very good i.e IIT Madras(B-tech in Materials science).
My Gmat score is 700, and i may retake it(aiming at least 750).
I have very good extra co-curr.. and even have start-up to my credit.
I have won a lot of scholarships and
I had a minor in social entrepreneurship and innovation in my grads, in which i performed very well.
I am targeting oxford ms in fe, Imperial MS in fin, Cambridge and Hec Paris MS fin.
My worry is that, will my gpa cause a major damage?? or over all my profile will stand the selection storm??. well hoping som of you guys will gimme some insight about this, any tips on how to make this look not a very major flaw in the profile?? chances?? any experience to share??

regards,
Dawn
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
dawndon wrote:
hi guys,
well my profile is good except for the gpa part in coll, which is a meager 6.34/10 but my college was very good i.e IIT Madras(B-tech in Materials science).
I had a minor in social entrepreneurship and innovation in my grads, in which i performed very well.
I am targeting oxford ms in fe, Imperial MS in fin, Cambridge and Hec Paris MS fin.
My worry is that, will my gpa cause a major damage?? or over all my profile will stand the selection storm??. well hoping som of you guys will gimme some insight about this, any tips on how to make this look not a very major flaw in the profile?? chances?? any experience to share??

regards,
Dawn

Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance, which I will start this fall.
I did not apply to Oxbridge or HEC (I applied to IE, St Gallen and Warwick instead) but I am curious on whether you got accepted there.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Programming (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance, which I will start this fall.
I did not apply to Oxbridge or HEC (I applied to IE, St Gallen and Warwick instead) but I am curious on whether you got accepted there.

hey,
I got through both Oxford MFE and HEC MIM, although i didi retake GMAT and got 760(:)). IT all went preety well in the end i guess. BTW i chose HEC MIM in the end. Hope it helps.
SOurav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
oblivision wrote:
dawndon wrote:
hi guys,

regards,
Dawn

Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance,
which I will start this fall.

Hey !
May I ask what stats do you have that brought you to Imperial`s MSc Finance ? GPA. GMAT ? Did you also got into St Gallen and Warwick ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V27
GPA: 3.73
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Great efforts !!

I was curious about Ohio State University, Fisher college of Business. How is the course ? Can anybody throw more light on that?

Thanks in advance
Shilpa
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V27
Send PM
hi all,

Anyone know if UNSW MFin is any good? I doubt many people here are aiming for this place, but thought I would like to try my chances.

Also, in term of reputations, how does Warwick, Cass and Imperial viewed internationally? Especially in Asia. Do they carry a strong brand power in Asia compared to places like LSE?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Hjort

It is indeed a great compilation of decent programs..
Could you please tell me what other simulation models except Monte Carlo exists ???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Can anyone suggest which university should i apply for MSF, so that even if i come back to india after 3-4 years of experience, i get not the same but a similar job opportunity(apart from ivy league).
Sorry for asking such a niche question but any suggestion would be of great help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great efforts !!

I was curious about Ohio State University, Fisher college of Business. How is the course ? Can anybody throw more light on that?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bontabam wrote:
Great efforts !!

The school is respected and well known in the states. The MSF program has been around for a long time know and has a history of placements. I would consider it a good school. I believe it is STEM certified now.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts