Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2445 [53]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619707 [14]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 01-19-2013
Send PM
Re: A closed aluminum rectangular box has inner dimensions x centimeters [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
\((x+2)(y+2)(z+2)-xyz=2(xy + xz + yz + 2x + 2y + 2z + 4)\).

The question itself is very clear and not hard but it took me ages to multiple three brackets without a mistake. Is there a trick?
Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: A closed aluminum rectangular box has inner dimensions x centimeters [#permalink]
fukirua wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

The question itself is very clear and not hard but it took me ages to multiple three brackets without a mistake. Is there a trick?
Thanks

You have to put pen to paper as verbal calculation of the bracket will make issues complicated.
Try solving first two brackets first and then multiply with the third one.
Also, to avoid careless mistakes, always follow a pattern so that you don't miss anything.
for eg ( a + b) ( c + d) = a( c + d) + b ( c + d) always multiply with a pattern .
Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
fukirua wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks

Start with multiplying the first two in the product of the three factors:

\((x+2)(y+2)(z+2)=(xy+2x+2y+4)(z+2)\)

No need to fully carry out the other multiplication. You can see that there will be one term of \(xyz\), which will cancel out in the final expression with \(-xyz\).
In addition, you will have terms containing products of two factors - like \(xy, \,\,xz\), and \(yz\). All will have a coefficient of 2 in front.
Then the terms with \(x, \,\,y,\) and \(z\), all have a coefficient of 4 in front.
Answers A, B, and C can be eliminated. Between D and E, obviously E wins.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A closed aluminum rectangular box has inner dimensions x centimeters by y centimeters by z centimeters. Each of the six sides of the box is 1 centimeter thick. Calculate the volume of the aluminium, in cubic centimeters?

A. xyz + 8
B. 2(xy + xz + yz + 4)
C. 2(xy + xz + yz) – xyz
D. 2(xy + xz + yz + x + y + z + 4)
E. 2(xy + xz + yz + 2x + 2y + 2z + 4)

We are trying to find the volume of the aluminum, NOT the empty space inside the box.

In the INNER dimensions are x*y*z then the dimensions of the box including the one inch thick sides are going to be two CM greater as shown in the attached diagram (in a way, this is similar to a "walkway surrounding a rectangular garden" problem, except in 3 dimensions) Therefore, the length of the box (not just the interior dimensions) is (L+2) The width is (W+2) and the height is (H+2) --> (L+2)*(W+2)*(H+2) is the volume of the box if we consider the volume of the sides included. If we are to figure out the volume of JUST the sides we subtract from (L+2)*(W+2)*(H+2) the volume of the empty space (L*W*H)

(L+2)*(W+2)*(H+2) - (LWH)
(LW+2L+2W+4)*(H+2) - (LWH)
LWH+2LH+2WH+4H+2LW+4L+4W+8 - (LWH)
2LH+2WH+4H+2LW+4L+4W+8
2(LH+WH+LW+2H+2L+2W+4)

Answer E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
A closed aluminum rectangular box has inner dimensions x centimeters by y centimeters by z centimeters. Each of the six sides of the box is 1 centimeter thick. Calculate the volume of the aluminium, in cubic centimeters?

A. xyz + 8
B. 2(xy + xz + yz + 4)
C. 2(xy + xz + yz) – xyz
D. 2(xy + xz + yz + x + y + z + 4)
E. 2(xy + xz + yz + 2x + 2y + 2z + 4)

Are we really concerned with the extra 1cm thickness in calculating the volume? The thickness does not add to spaces to
be filled; so, how come it is affecting the volume?

Inner volume of the box is \(xyz\) cubic centimeters.

Now, since each of the six sides of the box is 1 centimeter thick, then outer dimensions are \(x+2\) by \(y+2\) by \(z+2\) centimeters. Therefore, the volume of the box with aluminium is \((x+2)(y+2)(z+2)\) cubic centimeters.

The volume of the aluminium is the difference of these two: \((x+2)(y+2)(z+2)-xyz=2(xy + xz + yz + 2x + 2y + 2z + 4)\).

Answer: E.

OR:

Plug numbers: say \(x=y=z=1\), then the inner volume is 1 cubic centimeters and the volume of the whole box is \((1+2)(1+2)(1+2)=27\) cubic centimeters. The volume of the aluminium is 27-1=26 cubic centimeters.

Now, plug \(x=y=z=1\) and see which options yields 26: only answer choice E fits.

Answer: E.

P.S. For plug-in method it might happen that for some particular numbers more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hi - can you please help me understand how you know that based on the 1cm thickness, you should expand each side x/y/z by +2?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: Rotman '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
fukirua wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks

you certainly know that the xyz will be cancelled out and we will definitely have one 8 in the solution along with one set of double digit variable(such as xy,yz,zx,with what ever coeeficient may be ) and one set of single variable set suchas x,y,z.the suggested set is availble in only E.DONT TOUCH PEN AND PAPER ,BKZ BRAIN IS FASTER THAN HAND.:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am astonished, today I took my test and this was my 2ND question! How is this possible? The solution look quite simple here, but I though arithmetically would take too much time. I solve it with smart numbers (2, 3 and 4), but took me ages to reach the solution:

Inner volume: 2x3x4=24
Exterior volume: 3x4x5-24 = 36.

Then you test all the possible solutions (took me like 4 minutes...)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts