Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2013- Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rubicon85 wrote:
aviroop wrote:
It is possible that you will get your invite on Jan 11th itself. Many invites are sent out on the last day. But yes Jan 11 is the hard R1 deadline.

Thanks Aviroop. Normally what is the interview to final offer conversion ratio? I have heard HKUST generally doesn't call to many students for interviews.

The information is not revealed by HKUST adcom. Cant help you on this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
svdk wrote:
Hi Aviroop,

First of all thanks for all the info you have been providing.

Today I gave GMAT and I got 690. Could you please advise whether I should apply now or Retake GMAT and apply for next year.

1) 6.5 Years experience
2) 2 Years international experience (1 year Qantas Airways, Australia, 1 Year Deutsche Bank, Singapore)
3) Experience in Financial Supply Chain Management as Business Analayst (Want to do specialization in supply chain)
4) Indian IT engineer, but worked as Business Analyst/ Project Manager
5) Extra curricular activity - Done a 7 months Leadership program from Personal development program.
6) Age is 31, GPA 3.0

Thanks,
SVDK

your GMAT score is will within the average range required by HKUST. No need to re-take it. I would recommend you emphasize more on your work experience, especially your international exposure and what you have gained out of it.

Definitely apply this year.

Thanks a lot for the reply Aviroop, I will plan to apply for R2 itself being an International student.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
rubicon85 wrote:
Hi,

I was just checking some of the old posts for the 2012 and 2011 admissions cycle and came across posts where students already received final offers by mid-Dec and Jan 1st week. Has anyone received final admit/ reject offers for the 2013 admissions cycle yet?

Also does HKUST compare students from R1 with R2 students to give interview invites or is each round treated stand alone and independent. The reason I ask is because I came across old posts where students who applied in R1 be invited for interviews with R2 and R3 candidates.

Please let me know the answers for the above 2 queries.
Thank you very much!

1. Admits have started trickling in - not as many in the same time frame compared to last year but the process has started.
2. R1 and R2 are treated separately and independently. Last year due to timing issues some R1 students were interviewed later in R2 round. Students are not compared across rounds.

Hi Aviroop,

Thanks for being a great resource here. I was also interviewed in early December which I thought went well and received an e-mail on the week of December 21st saying HKUST needs another 4 weeks to review my application. In the meantime, I also got admitted to HKU's MBA program but have to respond to them by January 24th. HKUST is my first choice so hopefully I hear from them before the HKU deadline. Do you have any insight on HKU's MBA program in comparison with HKUST?
Director
Director
Send PM
blueram - i will be quite honest and blunt on the hku vs hkust topic.
I got admitted to both schools - chose hkust. Came to HK and saw the true story.

HKU is a good school but does not have the calibre, outlook and quality of HKUST. Last semester we had a professor from HKU who won the "best teacher award" there and taught us a course....and he was the worst professor we had in our semester.. so you can imagine the difference in academic levels...

in all recruiting events we went to - if there were a group of 50 mba students invited, more than 35 are from HKUST, while the remaining were from CUHK and HKU.

HKUST is a far better school overall in terms of reputation, student body, and academic endeavour. Hope this helps your decision making process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
I have an interview on the 11th and 25th of this month, any idea what kind of questions i will be asked?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I also got admitted to hku, so I really hope to hear from hkust before Jan. 24th! I was interviewed in early Dec and recently was told to wait 4 more weeks..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dldls wrote:
I also got admitted to hku, so I really hope to hear from hkust before Jan. 24th! I was interviewed in early Dec and recently was told to wait 4 more weeks..

Has anyone heard about their final offer from HKUST yet! I have seen people who have had their interviews, only post that they have been asked to wait for 4 weeks further since the date they were told they would come to know about the final offer.

I don't know why this is happening. The process HKUST is following seems to be very unclear. I also heard cases where students who applied in R2 receive interview invites before R1 candidates. There should be an advantage given to students who apply in R1 in terms of reviewing their applications and letting them know their admit / reject before other round candidates, which doesn't seem to be happening.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi i have my interview at HKUST in the last week of January. Can someone please share their interview expierience. And what type of questions were asked.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
siddharth123 wrote:
Hi i have my interview at HKUST in the last week of January. Can someone please share their interview expierience. And what type of questions were asked.

Please refer to the previous year's thread on interview experience. A lot of questions have been posted.
Director
Director
Send PM
rubicon85 wrote:
dldls wrote:

Has anyone heard about their final offer from HKUST yet! I have seen people who have had their interviews, only post that they have been asked to wait for 4 weeks further since the date they were told they would come to know about the final offer.

I don't know why this is happening. The process HKUST is following seems to be very unclear. I also heard cases where students who applied in R2 receive interview invites before R1 candidates. There should be an advantage given to students who apply in R1 in terms of reviewing their applications and letting them know their admit / reject before other round candidates, which doesn't seem to be happening.

There is no advantage given to R1 students over R2 students. I have clarified this before also so please read previous posts. For quite a few batchmates in our class, who applied in R1, they received invite calls in the R2 rounds. HKUST looks at each application very carefully and takes a decision after the application file has passed through the hands of several committee members.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
rubicon85 wrote:
dldls wrote:

There is no advantage given to R1 students over R2 students. I have clarified this before also so please read previous posts. For quite a few batchmates in our class, who applied in R1, they received invite calls in the R2 rounds. HKUST looks at each application very carefully and takes a decision after the application file has passed through the hands of several committee members.

Thanks Aviroop for answering this query. But the process still seems to be very unclear.
The fact that an applicant applies in R1 means he's had lesser time than further round candidates to put in his application.
Globally, B-schools acknowledge this fact and make sure all R1 applicants are notified about their admit / reject before further round applications are reviewed. This doesn't seem to be the case in HKUST. There have been multiple instances (not only in this year but also previous years) where students from R2 have received interview invites before even R1 candidates have been given an update on their interview status. My only question is what is the incentive to apply in R1 when you are still being compared with both R1 and R2 applicants? Appreciate your response.
Director
Director
Send PM
..I think you have not read my previous posts..i have clearly mentioned that no two rounds are compared...so if you applied in R1 you will only be compared to R1 students.

If you applyin R1, you are selected for the various scholarships that are given by the school. The longer you delay in applying, the lesser your chances of getting a scholarship.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

I just received an interview invitation. It is actually split into two parts. One is a about background and motivation which sounds pretty straightforward. The second part is labelled "potential". Can someone please shed some light on what to expect there?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS, INSEAD
Send PM
Hi Everyone;

I got an interview offer from HKUST. Did any one else get interview call.?

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7802 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Fraz wrote:
Hi Everyone;

I got an interview offer from HKUST. Did any one else get interview call.?

Regards

First of all, congratulation on the invitation.

Did you apply on the 2nd round? When did you submit your application?

Thank you for your answer in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I just got my acceptance e-mail today and I am beyond ecstatic! Best of luck to everyone interviewing and hope to see a lot of you in August!
Director
Director
Send PM
good news blueram.. wishing you all the best