Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 06:18 It is currently 03 May 2024, 06:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: LBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: 760 (Q50 V41) [#permalink]
Congrats on the great score. It looks like Ron's strategy / advice worked well.
Quick question - if you could go through this prep process again, would you have compressed this to 3-4 months?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, I was a bit lax in the middle part of my prep phase. The increased commute was also a factor. If you can stay motivated and don't have any other distractions, it can definitely be done in 3-4 months

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Thanks for your perspective. Congrats again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
manwiththeharmonica wrote:
Reporting a 760 (Q50 V41) - 99 percentile on January 3rd. And I was really close to rescheduling the test that morning! I woke up on the test day to an email from Pearson Vue telling me that a fire drill had been scheduled at the test center that day and that I could reschedule my test for free if I wanted to. The mention of flashing lights and loud noises worried me for a bit. Glad I decided to go ahead with the test. I felt I was ready and waiting would only have hurt my score.

My background - An Indian engineer (non IT) working in the US for the past 7 years.

Study Plan:

The First Week

- Started off 5 months ago when I picked up a random GMAT book from the local library (I think it was Crack the GMAT). I went through it to get familiar with the exam format.

- Downloaded GMAT Prep and straightway used the first test as a diagnostic one. Scored a 690 (Q47 V38) but ran out of time on all section. (WARNING - Make sure you take screenshots of all the questions before you exit the test, there is no way to go back and review them once you have quit, I found out the hard way)

The First Month

- Ordered OG'13, Verbal and Quant Supplements, and the whole set of MGMAT books

- Zoomed through all MGMAT quant books and read through verbal books as well.

- Started knocking out official questions on Quant and Verbal supplements.

- Watched Thursdays with Ron videos on SC

- Took the Diagnostic Paper Test OG'13 - PS and RC (0 Wrong) DS (2 Wrong) SC (4 Wrong) CR (2 Wrong)

- Thought I was on track to take the GMAT after another month of preparation

The Epiphany

I changed my study plan after watching an eye-opening video from the “Thursdays with Ron” series titled - “A new way to study SC.” I delayed my GMAT and changed my approach..

- Reviewed MGMAT SC book, topic by topic, in detail.

- Practised SC questions topicwise from Verbal supplement and gmatclub forum (wanted to save OG questions for the end)

- Followed similar topicwise approach for Quant - solved problems on gmatclub forum

- Watched relevant videos by Ron (I must have seen almost all of them by the end)

The Lull

A month long lull ensued after we moved; my commute increased to 2 hours each way (driving). I studied sporadically focussing too much on the details and less on the larger picture.

The Final Push

By mid november I was itching to get this thing over with.

- Covered CR topicwise - practiced questions from the forum, verbal supplement and watched relevant Ron’s videos.

- For RC I only practised OG problems.

The CATs

A month before the GMAT I started taking practise tests on Sundays. On weekdays I worked on OG problems under timed condition. Saturdays were spent relaxing or revising.

NOTE: All my CATs were timed and included essays and IR.

- Diagnostic GMAT Prep 1 (circa August): 690 (Q47 V38 IR 7)

- MGMAT CAT 1 (Dec 9): 730 (Q49 V41 IR 3) Got 4 questions that I had seen previously on
forums

- MGMAT CAT 2 (Dec 16): 770 (Q50 V46 IR 5) Only 1 familiar question on which I spent over 2
minutes and got it wrong on purpose

This is when I booked the earliest available test date - Jan 3rd 2013

- GMAT Prep 2 (Dec 23): 770 (Q50 V45 IR 8) My last practise test, 11 days before GMAT

The Last Week

- Only practised GMAT Prep and OG questions (Used GMAT Prep PDFs from gmatclub)

- No practise test in the last 11 days before the test

- Minimal studying in the last 3-4 days - only official questions

- No studying on the last day

The Day

Appointment was a 12 PM, I had visited the center earlier. Thankfully, was able to get a few good hours of sleep. Spent the morning solving 8-10 easy quant problems and reading a couple of RC passages to get the brain ready and awake. Had a light breakfast of fruits and reached the center early.

Got a corner booth, put the headphones on - heart pounding, butterflies in stomach etc.

AWA - I had my template ready, which I began typing out even before I read the argument. It was a weak one, I listed out flaws but was a bit off on my timing so had to rush in the end.

IR - I had been nervous about this section, thanks to the brutally hard problems that I saw in MGMAT CATs. OG problems were more realistic. My strategy was to not spend too much time on the hard logical 2-part analysis problems. But in the end, I ended up attempting all the problems and was done with a couple of minutes to spare. Expecting a reasonable score.

Took a break, had a chocolate and went back in.

Quant - The first question itself was a tricky one! One of those where your traditional algebra doesn't work. I was prepared for it and once I noticed that algebraic approach wasn't working, I quickly switched to number plugging. I was constantly ahead on time and although there were a few problems that I could not solve, I did not get hung up on any of those. Overall, I think there must have been at least 3 - 4 answers that I picked without solving the problem. Finished the section comfortably on time. The fire alarms were not too distracting thankfully.

Took another break and knew that the hard part was over. I had always been at ease during the verbal section. I used to finish it early in practise tests, like 15-20 minutes early.

Verbal - I took my own sweet time on all the questions that day, but was still keeping ahead on time. RC and CR were manageable enough, not too convoluted or too dense. SC was a bit tough though, probably seemed so because new topics were being tested on the real test.. By the 20th question, I was exhausted and my head had started pounding. I took off the headphones and stretched a bit in the chair and ploughed forward. Finished the section with 2-3 minutes left.

The satisfying part about the score was that I was above 90%ile in both sections. Party time!

In Conclusion

- Have a strategy for everything - for each section, for each question type, for your timing, for guessing, everything.

- Backup methods and number plugging are extremely important in Quant. For some question types, it was infact my main approach.

- RC and CR - practice official questions to recognize patterns. Focus only on the scope of the question to eliminate irrelevant answer choices.

- Ron's videos are gold not only for study techniques but also for general GMAT strategies.

- IR section is way too hard (at least as of now) on MGMAT CATs. OG questions are more realistic. Use the MGMAT video to develop your own strategy for this section.

- Do not put too much emphasis on practice test scores but use them to identify your weak areas. GMAT will always feel tougher than practise tests because some new topics might be tested. Quant is a bit easier than MGMAT CATs but the questions can be tricky.

- Be comfortable with number properties, rates, sets and averages..

- Most importantly, it is absolutely critical to learn to manage your time, I scored 760-770 in all three CATs that I finished ahead of time. Do not linger on problems if you are stuck or can’t decide between answer choices, trust yourself and pick an answer and move on.

Good luck to everyone and thanks to MGMAT and gmatclub. Hope this post helps some members. Let me know if you have any questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63750 [1]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow, congratulations on the spectacular score. I think it's pretty awesome that you persisted after the "lull" in your prep--a lot of people would drift away from the GMAT at that point. Huge props for the perseverance. Good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Congratulations and i hope everything goes well with your applications

I am currently in my prep and i will start with the "Ron videos" very soon, since i am curious, what was the advice Ron gave that made you change your study approach?

Kind regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Very, very nice score and debrief. I will definitely follow ron's videos after this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
wow...very well done :shock:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shadow88 wrote:

I am currently in my prep and i will start with the "Ron videos" very soon, since i am curious, what was the advice Ron gave that made you change your study approach?

Kind regards

Thanks!
Check out the video if you get time. In short, Ron recommends a topic wise approach in SC, not only for studying but also for practicing questions. You may have to go through same set of questions 10 times, focussing on only one SC topic at at time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Shadow88 wrote:

Kind regards

Thanks!
Check out the video if you get time. In short, Ron recommends a topic wise approach in SC, not only for studying but also for practicing questions. You may have to go through same set of questions 10 times, focussing on only one SC topic at at time.

Thank you for the reply. With topic wise approach in SC, do you mean that i should do OG questions after each chapter?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I also practised using the tags on gmatclub forum.Also, I left some official questions for the end so that I could practice applying all concepts together.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Reporting a 760 (Q50 V41) - 99 percentile on January 3rd. And I was really close to rescheduling the test that morning! I woke up on the test day to an email from Pearson Vue telling me that a fire drill had been scheduled at the test center that day and that I could reschedule my test for free if I wanted to. The mention of flashing lights and loud noises worried me for a bit. Glad I decided to go ahead with the test. I felt I was ready and waiting would only have hurt my score.

My background - An Indian engineer (non IT) working in the US for the past 7 years.

Hey awesome debrief. Couple of Poignant Questions:-

1. Did you go slow/extra careful on your first 8-10 questions in each of Verbal and Quant? Because as per a myth/theory, whether you tip over 700 is decided in the first 8-10 question, since it is CAT?? Your comments?? Or plain simple did you like get all correct in each of the sections??

2. Does the last question get auto submitted when the clock runs out (especially in the Quant section)? This would be really helpful in a scenario where I finish like 15 early on the qaunt section and can then have a CONTIGUOUS 15+8= 23 minutes of break time?

Would really appreciate your erudite answers!!

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hey awesome debrief. Couple of Poignant Questions:-

1. Did you go slow/extra careful on your first 8-10 questions in each of Verbal and Quant? Because as per a myth/theory, whether you tip over 700 is decided in the first 8-10 question, since it is CAT?? Your comments?? Or plain simple did you like get all correct in each of the sections??

Not really. I have always been more concerned about having no time towards the end. I did take my time on the first question (<3 mins though). Alaos, I remember the 4th of 5th question in quant I had to guess. In verbal, I just went with the flow and made it a point not to brood between answer choices too much. I think you are naturally more careful in the initial part of the section. I did not make any special effort to do so.

Sinner1706 wrote:
2. Does the last question get auto submitted when the clock runs out (especially in the Quant section)? This would be really helpful in a scenario where I finish like 15 early on the qaunt section and can then have a CONTIGUOUS 15+8= 23 minutes of break time?

Would really appreciate your erudite answers!!

Thanks

I dont think so. Unless you click "confirm" , the answer will probably not be submitted. And once you do that the section ends. You get a screen asking whether you want to take the optional break. I made sure to click "Yes" only when invigilator is at my desk. Even if it was possible, I do not think invigilator would allow you to utilize the extra time left towards your break. The best you can do is that if you finish a section ahead of time, just select the answer and stay in your seat, stretch etc. and click confirm when there is a minute left. Once you leave your desk, the invigilator logs you out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37352 posts