Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The country of Tarquinia has a much higher rate of traffic accidents [#permalink]
Expert Reply
On which topic this essay is based?

kittle wrote:
Hi, can someone please rate my essay? Below is what I have written (timing myself in 30')

Based on the premises that i) Tarquinia has a higher rate of traffic accidents per person as compared to its neighbors and that ii) in majority cases one or more drivers have been found at fault in the courts, the author suggests certain measures to eliminate the traffic accidents in Tarquinia. These measures include: i) removing drive-side seatbelts, airbags and other safety measures that protect the driver and ii) installing new cars with a spike on the steering column pointed at the driver’s heart. The author concludes that installation of this death spike will lead to reduction of accidents in Tarquinia.
The author assumes a correlation between higher rate of accidents per person with the total number of accidents. It is possible that Tarquinia has lower number of accidents compared to its neighbors. There could be a possibility that due to low population, Tarquinia has a higher number of accidents per person viz-a-viz its neighbors. Hence what would be useful to evaluate the reasoning in the argument and to get a clearer sense of the situation is the total number of accidents that happen in Tarquinia versus the neighbors.

The author is also assuming that the already provided measures such as drive-side seatbelts, airbags, etc. are not preventing any impending accidents that could happen more likely in the absence of these measures. That is, the author is assuming that the absence of these measures would do less harm that it is doing now and hence believes removing these safety measures with a death spike would do help more in preventing the number of accidents / accident rate per person.

Hence what would be useful to evaluate the argument would be to know if presence of these existing safety measures would prevent more accidents than when they will get removed to install a death spike.

The author also assumes that installing the death spike would instill fears in the drivers to drive with cognizance and not recklessly. The author is assuming that presently the drivers don’t have any obligation or fear of death to make them drive properly. Hence author feels that installing the death spike will motivate the drivers to drive safely.

The argument could be weakened in a scenario where the drivers found at faults in the court have an inherent nature to drive recklessly and are responsible for majority number of accidents in Tarquinia and furthermore, would not get affected by the installation of the death spike.

The argument could be strengthened if there is some evidence to prove that drivers at fault are actually worried about their own lives and installation a death spike will make them more careful in driving and prevent any reckless driving.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: The country of Tarquinia has a much higher rate of traffic accidents [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
On which topic this essay is based?

kittle wrote:
Hi, can someone please rate my essay? Below is what I have written (timing myself in 30')

Based on the premises that i) Tarquinia has a higher rate of traffic accidents per person as compared to its neighbors and that ii) in majority cases one or more drivers have been found at fault in the courts, the author suggests certain measures to eliminate the traffic accidents in Tarquinia. These measures include: i) removing drive-side seatbelts, airbags and other safety measures that protect the driver and ii) installing new cars with a spike on the steering column pointed at the driver’s heart. The author concludes that installation of this death spike will lead to reduction of accidents in Tarquinia.
The author assumes a correlation between higher rate of accidents per person with the total number of accidents. It is possible that Tarquinia has lower number of accidents compared to its neighbors. There could be a possibility that due to low population, Tarquinia has a higher number of accidents per person viz-a-viz its neighbors. Hence what would be useful to evaluate the reasoning in the argument and to get a clearer sense of the situation is the total number of accidents that happen in Tarquinia versus the neighbors.

The author is also assuming that the already provided measures such as drive-side seatbelts, airbags, etc. are not preventing any impending accidents that could happen more likely in the absence of these measures. That is, the author is assuming that the absence of these measures would do less harm that it is doing now and hence believes removing these safety measures with a death spike would do help more in preventing the number of accidents / accident rate per person.

Hence what would be useful to evaluate the argument would be to know if presence of these existing safety measures would prevent more accidents than when they will get removed to install a death spike.

The author also assumes that installing the death spike would instill fears in the drivers to drive with cognizance and not recklessly. The author is assuming that presently the drivers don’t have any obligation or fear of death to make them drive properly. Hence author feels that installing the death spike will motivate the drivers to drive safely.

The argument could be weakened in a scenario where the drivers found at faults in the court have an inherent nature to drive recklessly and are responsible for majority number of accidents in Tarquinia and furthermore, would not get affected by the installation of the death spike.

The argument could be strengthened if there is some evidence to prove that drivers at fault are actually worried about their own lives and installation a death spike will make them more careful in driving and prevent any reckless driving.

PROMPT: The country of Tarquinia has a much higher rate of traffic accidents per person than its neighbors, and in the vast majority of cases one or more drivers is found to be at fault in the courts. Therefore, Tarquinia should abolish driver-side seatbelts, airbags, and other safety measures that protect the driver, while new cars should be installed with a spike on the steering column pointed at the driver's heart. These measures will eliminate traffic accidents in Tarquinia by motivating drivers to drive safely.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AWA Score: 4 out of 6!

Coherence and connectivity: 4.5/5
This rating corresponds to the flow of ideas and expressions from one paragraph to another. The effective use of connectives and coherence of assertive language in arguing for/against the argument is analyzed. This is deemed as one of the most important parameters.

Paragraph structure and formation: 3/5 [Needs attention]
The structure and division of the attempt into appropriate paragraphs are evaluated. To score well on this parameter, it is important to organize the attempt into paragraphs. Preferable to follow the convention of leaving a line blank at the end of each paragraph, to make the software aware of the structure of the essay.

Vocabulary and word expression: 2.5/5 [Needs attention]
This parameter rates the submitted essay on the range of relevant vocabulary possessed by the candidate basis the word and expression usage. There are no extra- points for bombastic word usage. Simple is the best form of suave!

Good Luck

kittle wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
AWA Score: 4 out of 6!

Coherence and connectivity: 4.5/5
This rating corresponds to the flow of ideas and expressions from one paragraph to another. The effective use of connectives and coherence of assertive language in arguing for/against the argument is analyzed. This is deemed as one of the most important parameters.

Paragraph structure and formation: 3/5 [Needs attention]
The structure and division of the attempt into appropriate paragraphs are evaluated. To score well on this parameter, it is important to organize the attempt into paragraphs. Preferable to follow the convention of leaving a line blank at the end of each paragraph, to make the software aware of the structure of the essay.

Vocabulary and word expression: 2.5/5 [Needs attention]
This parameter rates the submitted essay on the range of relevant vocabulary possessed by the candidate basis the word and expression usage. There are no extra- points for bombastic word usage. Simple is the best form of suave!

Good Luck

kittle wrote:

Thanks a lot Sajjad! I will try to improve this. I have written another essay and would love to know your views on that. Have replied to the relevant post on that. Thanks again for contributing to the community and helping me out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts