Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:17 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Question about Indian IT and white male IT candidates [#permalink]
highwyre237 wrote:
Kjar wrote:
I think that every applicant is in some way different and if the selection process is properly organized, there is no "groups" as you call them. It's easy to hide every individual person between a couple of words like "Indian IT" or "Silicon Valley startup guy" or "big 4 accountant from China", but I wouldn't want to be accepted to any kind of the program, which selects students this way.

I think that "IT" is a stronger differentiating factor than "Indian" if you'd ask for my opinion (especially if you are an Indian who lived all your life in Wisconsin). But it actually depends on the context. I don't think that seeing "Indian" and "IT" in combination is enough to reject the application, but the lack of something that differentiates you from other candidates actually is.

Agreed to an extent, BUT, some schools have different application managers for different regions of the world (someone who is more familiar with the corporate structure and business culture in Asia will review apps coming from asia). So it is possible that US IT will not by clumped into Indian IT. Personally, I fall into white US IT, but... I didn't sell myself at a simple IT guy, I'm far from it. IT or not, Indian or not, you have to tie your experiences into a story that correlates with you goals, depicts who you are as a person, and explains how you fit within a schools culture and mission.

Thank you for both for your responses.

I asked this question because I, like highwyre237, am a white male IT guy, but not a engineer/developer only type (more like an analyst). As I prepare myself for the upcoming fall application cycle, I only grew more and more concerned that I'd have to different myself from all IT applicants, not just those in the same demographic.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you: you must have something that differentiates yourself from your competitors; I just had no idea how large of a group my competition was.

Again, thank you for your time and helpful thoughts; It was greatly appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question about Indian IT and white male IT candidates [#permalink]