Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

McCombs ($) vs Darden

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: Darden vs McCombs ($) - Help ! [#permalink]
D'oh -- I totally overlooked "MC" in your original post!!! Maybe I should practice my reading skills before b-school this fall.

Have you contacted both schools to see *exact* placement stats for top MC firms (McK, Bain, BCG, Booz & Co, et al)? Might be helpful to match those #s against the class sizes and total # of folks actually entering MC (e.g., what % of all consultants receive offers to top firms?). I have a feeling Darden will win in this case. And if that's so, I'm not sure the McCombs $$ should be a factor, given the ridiculous salaries top MC firms pay. Obviously none of this guarantees you a job there, and you ought to consider the possibility/probability of landing in a less-prestigious (and perhaps lower-paying) firm, but...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
oldmonk wrote:
Hi Parklane, Thanks for those inputs. My thoughts are pretty similar too - about lapping up every opportunity (and $) there is along the way.
I'm just concerned that in a couple of years when I'm vying for an MC job at McCombs I should never regret not having taken up the better ranked school with more offers ! Tech = no-brainer here, but my personal preference goes MC first , Tech next.

Getting into MC isn’t anything special. I do not think McCombs will prevent you from doing that. For MC, the difference between McCombs and Darden is the CHANCE at the upper echelon of MC jobs. This is a question you have to ask yourself. Is the higher CHANCE of getting into top MC at Darden worth the trade off of $ and the better chance at tech jobs in McCombs?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ParkLane wrote:
Obviously none of this guarantees you a job there, and you ought to consider the possibility/probability of landing in a less-prestigious (and perhaps lower-paying) firm, but...

The less-prestigious firms pay more than the top tier firms to attract talent. The standard starting salary at M/B/B is $125K in the US. Deloitte pays $140K plus cover your SY tuition if you intern with them, or your entire MBA tuition if you are previously Deloitte consultant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@asimov : You nailed it, I think I have the answer to the trade-off question though I'll wait a bit more to see the results of this poll. Since you're a Class of 2012, you'll have an idea to this question too - does brand name of school matter AFTER landing the first gig at MC ? Till when will the 'slight' advantage of a higher ranked school exist and open doors for the career ?

Thanks !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
oldmonk wrote:
@asimov : You nailed it, I think I have the answer to the trade-off question though I'll wait a bit more to see the results of this poll. Since you're a Class of 2012, you'll have an idea to this question too - does brand name of school matter AFTER landing the first gig at MC ? Till when will the 'slight' advantage of a higher ranked school exist and open doors for the career ?

Thanks !

I don't work in consulting. A sense I get from my classmates in consulting is that the school means absolutely nothing in your performance evaluation. Could there be possible bias from your manager or the partner who happens to be alum of your school? Maybe. However, your career path after you are in the company is mostly dependent upon your performance. Your exit options after MC depend on the industry expertise and connections you have built at the MC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
A few years down the road where you went to b school will matter very little. It will be much more about your experience and network.

In your case I'd say mccombs. McCombs places very well with MC. All of the major firms recruit there, the only difference might be that some firms recruit at McCombs specifically for their texas offices, but it sounds like you'd be interested in living there anyway.

The scholarship is a good deal. Darden already has higher tuition.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you TonyMontana896. I pretty much see where this is heading, but any moots for Darden?

Please poll in a few more votes ! Thanks a ton.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I voted for McCombs because of:

1) Your price-sensitivity
2) Your proclivity for living in TX
3) Your openness/desire to do tech

While consulting recruiting at the level of MBB doesn't seem as strong at McCombs, you also don't seem married to the idea of doing consulting, nor do you seem fixated on working at MBB. You'll be able to land a job at Deloitte (plus you'll probably have a decent shot at getting a Texas office of MBB).

Don't overthink this one! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts