Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4050 [63]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [14]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [12]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619816 [2]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Re: There are three different hoses used to fill a pool: hose [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
emmak wrote:
There are three different hoses used to fill a pool: hose x, hose y, and hose z. Hose x can fill the pool in a days, hose y in b days, and hose z in c days, where a > b > c. When all three hoses are used together to fill a pool, it takes d days to fill the pool. Which of the following must be true?
I. d<c
II. d>b
III. c/3<d<a/3

A) I only
B) III only
C) I and III only
D) II only
E) I, II and III

"Stolen" question from GMAT Prep:
Quote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where c<h. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t < h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. I and III

Discussed here: in-a-certain-bathtub-both-the-cold-water-and-the-hot-water-127878.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 490 Q37 V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Bookmarks
pqhai wrote:
Name T = full pool
X fills a pool in a days ==> 1 day X fills: T/a
Y fills a pool in b days ==> 1 day Y fills: T/b
Z fills a pool in c days ==> 1 day Z fills: T/c

1 day (X+Y+Z) together fill: T(1/a + 1/b + 1/c)
d days (X+Y+Z) together fill: T

==> d = Tx1 / T(1/a+1/b+1/c) = abc/(ab+bc+ca)
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca)

Statement 1: d < c ==> Correct because three hoses together fill faster than one hose does

Statement 2: d > b ==> Wrong because d may be less than or greater than b. Please note that the question is MUST BE TRUE.

Statement 3: c/3 < d < a/3 ==> Correct

* Because (ab+bc+ca) < 3ab. [Please note that a > b > c]
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca) > abc/3ab ==> d > c/3

* Because (ab+bc+ca) > 3bc [ab > bc; bc = bc; ac > bc ==> ab+bc+ca > 3bc]
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca) < abc/3bc ==> d < a/3

Hence, C is correct.

Thanks for the explanation, however, I don't understand how you get this inequality: \((ab+bc+ca) < 3ab\)

I tried to solve it but was unsuccesful :(

Here is where I got stuck:

\(\frac{c}{3} < d = \frac{abc}{ab+ac+cb}\)
\(c^2b + abc + ac^2 < 3 abc\)
\(c (b+a) < 2ab\) ???
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
szDave wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Name T = full pool
X fills a pool in a days ==> 1 day X fills: T/a
Y fills a pool in b days ==> 1 day Y fills: T/b
Z fills a pool in c days ==> 1 day Z fills: T/c

1 day (X+Y+Z) together fill: T(1/a + 1/b + 1/c)
d days (X+Y+Z) together fill: T

==> d = Tx1 / T(1/a+1/b+1/c) = abc/(ab+bc+ca)
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca)

Statement 1: d < c ==> Correct because three hoses together fill faster than one hose does

Statement 2: d > b ==> Wrong because d may be less than or greater than b. Please note that the question is MUST BE TRUE.

Statement 3: c/3 < d < a/3 ==> Correct

* Because (ab+bc+ca) < 3ab. [Please note that a > b > c]
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca) > abc/3ab ==> d > c/3

* Because (ab+bc+ca) > 3bc [ab > bc; bc = bc; ac > bc ==> ab+bc+ca > 3bc]
==> d = abc/(ab+bc+ca) < abc/3bc ==> d < a/3

Hence, C is correct.

Thanks for the explanation, however, I don't understand how you get this inequality: \((ab+bc+ca) < 3ab\)

I tried to solve it but was unsuccesful :(

Here is where I got stuck:

\(\frac{c}{3} < d = \frac{abc}{ab+ac+cb}\)
\(c^2b + abc + ac^2 < 3 abc\)
\(c (b+a) < 2ab\) ???

Hi szDave
Because a > b > c
So:
(1) ab = ab
(2) ab > bc (because a > c ==> a*b > c*b)
(3) ab > ca (because b > c ==> b*a > c*a)

(1) + (2) + (3) = 3ab > ab + bc + ca
This is the key for this question.

Hope it helps.

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Kellog, Stern, Stanford, Booth,HBS, Wharton
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
There are three different hoses used to fill a pool: hose x, hose y, and hose z. Hose x can fill the pool in a days, hose y in b days, and hose z in c days, where a > b > c. When all three hoses are used together to fill a pool, it takes d days to fill the pool. Which of the following must be true?
I. d<c
II. d>b
III. c/3<d<a/3

A) I only
B) III only
C) I and III only
D) II only
E) I, II and III

I used a conceptual PLUS VIC ( variables in choices MGMAT) approach.

I. d<c - We KNOW this is True because 3 hoses working together MUST BE faster than one hose by itself! B&D out!!
II. d>b - This is conceptual as well because we can think of many instances where combining 3 hoses/machines etc. would be faster than ANY individual machine, that's kinda the benefit of combining your rates to increase efficiency so....D & E are out!!

Now we have a 50/50 chance between A & C! better than 20% eh?

III. c/3<d<a/3 - With this option I knew I could try it algebraically but it's very easy to get tangled up in "alphabet soup" (for me), so I went with VIC! **Plus the thing about MUST BE TRUE options is that all you have to do is find 1 option that is to the contrary and you are good to go!** I plugged in 10, 8, and 6, but you can plug in any values and you will see that the principal holds.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2393 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bookmarks
Stolen question from GMAT Prep again. Prep companies need to start getting more creative

Express solution

Statement 1 is correct because the three hoses together fill faster than one hose does ALWAYS.

Now, the second statement is NOT always true because 'd' may be less than or greater than 'b', it depends on the values of 'a' and 'c'.

Third condition is ALWAYS true, 3 times the average must always be between the extremes.

Therefore C is correct

Hope this helps
Cheers
J :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
IvanW wrote:
Quote:
I. d<c
II. d>b
III. c/3<d<a/3

A) I only
B) III only
C) I and III only
D) II only
E) I, II and III

I. d<c - We KNOW this is True because 3 hoses working together MUST BE faster than one hose by itself! B&D out!!
II. d>b - This is conceptual as well because we can think of many instances where combining 3 hoses/machines etc. would be faster than ANY individual machine, that's kinda the benefit of combining your rates to increase efficiency so....D & E are out!!

III. c/3<d<a/3 - With this option I knew I could try it algebraically but it's very easy to get tangled up in "alphabet soup" (for me), so I went with VIC! **Plus the thing about MUST BE TRUE options is that all you have to do is find 1 option that is to the contrary and you are good to go!** I plugged in 10, 8, and 6, but you can plug in any values and you will see that the principal holds.

Hi there,
I´m sorry but I don`t quite understand the III statement.

- In the question stem we are given that: d < c < b < a
- In III statement we are given that c/3 < d < a/3. Therefore, c < 3d < a

How is it that when you plugged in d = 6, c = 8, and a = 10, the principle held true?

Can you please show me where I am worng?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
emmak wrote:
I. d<c
II. d>b
III. c/3<d<a/3

A) I only
B) III only
C) I and III only
D) II only
E) I, II and III

all together work faster than each individually, thus I is always true, and we can eliminate B and D.
II - same thing as said before, but d can never be greater than individual rate. thus, II is not correct, and we can eliminate E.
III - I used some testing:
a=4, b=2, c=1.
1/4+1/2+1/1 = 1+2+4/4 = 7/4 or d=4/7
c/3 = 1/3
d=4/7
a/3 = 4/3

c/3 < d < a/3
true.
thus, we can eliminate A and select C.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
minwoswoh wrote:
IvanW wrote:
Quote:
I. d<c
II. d>b
III. c/3<d<a/3

A) I only
B) III only
C) I and III only
D) II only
E) I, II and III

Hi there,
I´m sorry but I don`t quite understand the III statement.

- In the question stem we are given that: d < c < b < a
- In III statement we are given that c/3 < d < a/3. Therefore, c < 3d < a

How is it that when you plugged in d = 6, c = 8, and a = 10, the principle held true?

Can you please show me where I am worng?

I don't think you quite understand the concept...you can plug in a, b, and C. D is deducted from a,b,and C. you cannot just plug in value for D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Hello friends, my 2 cents
a>b>c>d => 3>2>1>d
abc/(ab+bc+ca) = 6/(6+2+3) = 6/11 ~ 0.6 ~> 3>2>1>0.6
(iii) c/3 = 1/3 = 0.33 & a/3 = 3/3 = 1 => 0.33 < 0.6 < 1 => c/3 < d < a/3
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep