Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [33]
Given Kudos: 27
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3094 [3]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vtran wrote:
ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that the Midwest sales office has had a difficult quarter, and our office will not lead the company in sales this quarter as we usually do.

ACME Executive: Fortunately, the South sales office has had a strong performance this quarter. They usually account for around 10% of company sales, but that figure has improved to 25% for this quarter.

One flaw in the ACME Executive’s response is that it:

(A) does not address the reasons why the ACME Midwest Sales Office had a bad quarter.
The response nowhere needs to address this matter in the given context.

(B) neglects the possibility that overall sales have increased dramatically.
The response is only talking about the performance/sales of the South sales office.The above point doesn't interfere with that.

(C) assumes an increase in sales percentage resulted from increased performance.

The response is neglecting the fact that maybe the net company sales had reduced owing to bad performances from other sales offices.
Say, initially, the net company sales was 100 and the south sales office share was 10. Now, if due to bad performances across, the net company sales decreased to say 20, and the south sales office share was 5, then actually this relative increase in percentage wouldn't have resulted in an increased performance.

(D) uses percentage data when he should be using absolute number data.

As both the percentages are related to the same office, the percentage data is correct, for a relative comparison.[Note, that extrapolating this increase in percentage to increased performance is not correct, as discussed above]

(E) neglects to consider other sales offices.
This is not required for the given response.He was only talking about the share and performance of the South sales office.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
IMO the answer should be D.

I see the argument mentions about improved performance and moves to sales increase from 10% to 25% - but the executive is missing 25% of what... As Mau5 clearly illustrates % doesn't make sense when evaluating sales figures..

The executive should be saying south office last year contributed $10M and this quarter performance leads to its yearly contribution to $25M when west office representative says that they might not be single largest contributor..

For e.g. west contributed $50M to last year total sales of $100M, which is split evenly as $12.5M per quarter might only provide $6.5M this year same quarter. To offset this the south could have provided $6.5M an increase from $2.5M from last year..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
nt2010 wrote:

I see the argument mentions about improved performance and moves to sales increase from 10% to 25% - but the executive is missing 25% of what... As Mau5 clearly illustrates % doesn't make sense when evaluating sales figures..

The executive should be saying south office last year contributed $10M and this quarter performance leads to its yearly contribution to $25M when west office representative says that they might not be single largest contributor..

For e.g. west contributed $50M to last year total sales of $100M, which is split evenly as $12.5M per quarter might only provide $6.5M this year same quarter. To offset this the south could have provided $6.5M an increase from $2.5M from last year..

Hi nt2010

I don't think D is correct.

The stimulus clearly says: They usually account for around 10% of company sales, but that figure has improved to 25% for this quarter.
"That figure - 25%" refers to percentage of South sales/ company sales.

D says: uses percentage data when he should be using absolute number data. <== This is a flaw of the Executive?

The executive used % to conclude about performance. His reasoning is correct if total sales of company increases ==> improve % = improve in performance (sales).
Thus, we cannot say D is a flaw of the executive's reasoning.

Regards.

Originally posted by pqhai on 03 Jul 2013, 00:46.
Last edited by pqhai on 03 Jul 2013, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3094 [3]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
nt2010 wrote:

The conclusion in the response by the ACME Executive is "the South sales office has had a strong performance this quarter." Using percentage data is not wrong,it is the conclusion which the executive has arrived at from that percentage data,which is at fault. Consider a basic statement like this :

Since our share of total company sales has increased from 10% to 25%, therefore our contribution to the company's total sales has increased. Here, the usage of percentage data is correct, and the conclusion following from that data is also correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
The answer should be C
C) assumes an increase in sales percentage resulted from increased performance

increase in sales percentage can resulted from decreased numbers of other sales offices
For example:
Previous quarter: Midwest office had $90M (90%), South office $10M (10%)
Current quarter: Midwest reduced to $30M (75%), South stay the same $10M (25%)

As a result proportion of sales of the South office increased from 10% to 25%, but absolute number is the same
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
C.

If overall sales of the company decreases and the sales of a particular branch remains constant, then the percentage contribution of that branch to the total sales will definitely increase.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The key flaw is that the executive quotes an increase in a proportion, when the actual reason for that increase could merely be the decline in Midwests' performance.

Hypothetically say the South office performed the same, say $25 in sales, and the Midwest accounted for $125 in sales. This means South accounts for 20%.
Now lets say MW sales decline to $100, but South stays the same $25. South now makes up 25%... this doesn't mean South performed any better, it merely occupies a larger proportion of the sales total, which declined.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
In my opinion, there are multiple flaws in ACME executive.
1. Sales manager is talking about Midwest office, but executive is discussing South office.
2. Executive is believing on % increase but without providing the basis, % doesn't tell clear picture of growth or loss.
3. Executive is reasoning increased % in sales for good performance of South office. It might be possible that sales of Midwest shifted to South office.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts