Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 10:02 It is currently 23 May 2024, 10:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Jamon wrote:
Well, except my sources are very reliable. We shall see !!

Anyway, my main point was, no- the optional essay is not required and MIT is a "get to the point" kind of school. They aren't fluffy and care about your feelings or personality the way Stanford or Kellogg does
Jamon, we have to agree with missxmelon on this - the MIT adcom has stated publicly (see this video by the adcom https://mitsloanadmissions.com/2013/09/2 ... nal-essay/ ) and in their info sessions over the past year that a) they want to get a fuller picture of applicants, including non-professional stuff like hobbies and interests, and b) that while you're right, the MIT Optional Info isn't "required", the adcom strongly encourages that applicants take advantage of it.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you are a dime a dozen kind of candidate, then yes I agree. The optional essay is a great way to "differentiate" yourself. But if your essay is strong and you have crafted essays that convey both your personality and goals, then I strongly disagree that the optional essay should be put to use. You aren't going to get accepted because you make some PPT about your basket weaving that you do while visiting nursing home on weekends.

Thanks for the input essay snark. I do see the benefits of an optional essay. But I also faile to see your admission chances increasing by trying to impress them with some useless (interesting, nevertheless) hobby that you enjoy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Submitted.

Like many others, GPA on 4.00 scale wasn't showing up on the PDF proof.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Jamon wrote:
If you are a dime a dozen kind of candidate, then yes I agree. The optional essay is a great way to "differentiate" yourself. But if your essay is strong and you have crafted essays that convey both your personality and goals, then I strongly disagree that the optional essay should be put to use. You aren't going to get accepted because you make some PPT about your basket weaving that you do while visiting nursing home on weekends.

Thanks for the input essay snark. I do see the benefits of an optional essay. But I also faile to see your admission chances increasing by trying to impress them with some useless (interesting, nevertheless) hobby that you enjoy.
OMG we so have to disagree with this -- if you are doing basket weaving during your nursing home visits, we TOTALLY hope you'll tell the adcom about it - THAT would be seriously unique!!!!!!!!!!

:P
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Jamon wrote:

I don't even...

Yes, you can be accepted because you differentiated yourself through the optional essay.

Yes, you can increase your admission chances by properly conveying a hobby you enjoy.

Obviously, it is not a guarantee.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Ward, this goes to show we need more of you here. :-(. I have already submitted my application without the additional transcripts. I mentioned it in the optional essay. Hopefully the admissions committee take my word for it.
Deacow. If you have took my word and not submitted the additional transcript I am so sorry for misleading.
Ward2012 wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
deacoW wrote:
I built an alternative transcript, but am not sure where on the application to reflect it. In the education section it gives you extra space for other Degrees earned, so I'm not sure if that is an appropriate place to put it. I've uploaded the transcript but I'm not sure what else to do.

Any advice?

Thanks

Deacow, I don't think you can do that. The instructions clearly mention that you should upload only transcripts that contribute towards a degree. I would mention about the alternate transcript and the grades in the optional essay and leave it there.

I just noticed this post. Actually this isn't right. I agree that the instructions on the application form state that only work counting towards a degree should be listed. But I emailed the Sloan Admissions office, and they told me to list any extra courses I took in the application form and upload my transcripts.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Ward, this goes to show we need more of you here. :-(. I have already submitted my application without the additional transcripts. I mentioned it in the optional essay. Hopefully the admissions committee take my word for it.
Deacow. If you have took my word and not submitted the additional transcript I am so sorry for misleading.
Ward2012 wrote:
randomwalk wrote:

Deacow, I don't think you can do that. The instructions clearly mention that you should upload only transcripts that contribute towards a degree. I would mention about the alternate transcript and the grades in the optional essay and leave it there.

I just noticed this post. Actually this isn't right. I agree that the instructions on the application form state that only work counting towards a degree should be listed. But I emailed the Sloan Admissions office, and they told me to list any extra courses I took in the application form and upload my transcripts.

Posted from my mobile device

And I'm very sorry for not noticing this post before. You may want to email the Admissions office to see if you can add your transcripts to your file (it's kind of MIT's fault for being unclear.) I've interacted with the Admissions office at Sloan quite a bit because I was waitlisted last year. I found that they are very friendly, and will help you if they can.

Of course, it would be best if the instructions on the form itself were a little more clear. I can see why there was confusion. I had the same question, which is why I asked the Office.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Submitted. First submission this year!

And I did fill in the optional essay, talking about a hobby I have had for the last 8 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
And I'm very sorry for not noticing this post before. You may want to email the Admissions office to see if you can add your transcripts to your file (it's kind of MIT's fault for being unclear.) I've interacted with the Admissions office at Sloan quite a bit because I was waitlisted last year. I found that they are very friendly, and will help you if they can.

Of course, it would be best if the instructions on the form itself were a little more clear. I can see why there was confusion. I had the same question, which is why I asked the Office.

Ward, you are extremely modest. I wish you all the best with your application.
I have dropped the adcom an email and will repost here if they would let me submit the additional transcripts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
By the way, those of whom applying, the MIT adcom is ok with giving a little bit of leeway, like a few days, for recommenders to submit their letters. One of my recommenders submitted 3 hours after the deadline. They are fine with that. Just had ward mentioned, MIT adcom is really nice and flexible. Check with them directly for extenuating circumstances. They are really warm people.

Originally posted by randomwalk on 24 Sep 2013, 20:46.
Last edited by randomwalk on 24 Sep 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
By the way, those whom applying, the MIT adcom is ok with giving a little bit of leeway, like a few days, for recommenders to submit their letters. One of my recommenders submitted 3 hours after the deadline. They are fine with that. Just had ward mentioned, MIT adcom is really nice and flexible. Check with them directly for extenuating circumstances. They are really warm people.

Great to know. Thanks for the info, randomwalk ! !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
For what it's worth, last year I did submit an optional essay and it was about a personal topic.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the topic of that essay was specifically brought up in my interview, too.
Director
Director
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:

Ward, you are extremely modest. I wish you all the best with your application.
I have dropped the adcom an email and will repost here if they would let me submit the additional transcripts.

Thanks. I guess, lesson learned: when in doubt, ask the source (i.e., Admissions Office.)
Director
Director
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
Jamon wrote:

I don't even...

Yes, you can be accepted because you differentiated yourself through the optional essay.

Yes, you can increase your admission chances by properly conveying a hobby you enjoy.

Obviously, it is not a guarantee.

To be diplomatic, I think both sides of this debate about the optional essay are coming at the optional essay from two different perspectives. One side is saying, you don't need it if your other essays are good. Saying you do some hobby is not going to help.

The other side is saying, yes, differentiating yourself will absolutely help.

To me, I think the real point is that that if you are going to talk something that differentiates yourself whether it's a hobby, a philosophy or whatever it is, you have to convey *why* you are telling the Admissions Committee about the thing that differentiates you. In other words, what does your hobby or whatever the thing is say about you? creative? overcoming adversity? leadership? good with people? quick learner? entrepreneurial compassion? etc.

Now if you do something really truly off the wall that no one else does or something really impressive (like you started $10M business), then the activity itself may be enough. But so many people say things like "i love to travel" or "i love to cook" or "i love basketball" and that's great and it certainly offers more of your personality to the admissions committee. However, what that activity means to you is the real thing that differentiates you, and if you don't tell the AdCom, you may leave them wondering "why is this person telling me this?"
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
To be diplomatic, I think both sides of this debate about the optional essay are coming at the optional essay from two different perspectives. One side is saying, you don't need it if your other essays are good. Saying you do some hobby is not going to help.

To me, I think the real point is that that if you are going to talk something that differentiates yourself whether it's a hobby, a philosophy or whatever it is, you have to convey *why* you are telling the Admissions Committee about the thing that differentiates you. In other words, what does your hobby or whatever the thing is say about you? creative? overcoming adversity? leadership? good with people? quick learner? entrepreneurial compassion? etc.

Now if you do something really truly off the wall that no one else does or something really impressive (like you started $10M business), then the activity itself may be enough. But so many people say things like "i love to travel" or "i love to cook" or "i love basketball" and that's great and it certainly offers more of your personality to the admissions committee. However, what that activity means to you is the real thing that differentiates you, and if you don't tell the AdCom, you may leave them wondering "why is this person telling me this?"

Yes, that's true. That's why I didn't say that "differentiating yourself will absolutely help." I said that it can help. I also specifically said that "properly conveying" a hobby can increase admission chances (vs. instances you mentioned in your post). And while that may be where Jamon was coming from, I took issue with his absolute statements, which were misleading.
Director
Director
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:

Yes, that's true. That's why I didn't say that "differentiating yourself will absolutely help." I said that it can help. I also specifically said that "properly conveying" a hobby can increase admission chances (vs. instances you mentioned in your post). And while that may be where Jamon was coming from, I took issue with his absolute statements, which were misleading.

missxmelon--i was not referring to you specifically. I was talking about the corpus of comments from everyone who has commented.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:

missxmelon--i was not referring to you specifically. I was talking about the corpus of comments from everyone who has commented.

Sorry - I assumed you were referring to me because you quoted my previous post. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts