Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink]
I wouldn't apply to HBS with a 580 GMAT and I don't know who would. One has ample opportunity to improve the GMAT score and bring it up to at least a 650, 670 - a little more with in the realm of possibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I approached two of my recommenders a while ago to ask them if they would be willing to provide a letter for my application and they replied positively but didn't give me much of an idea of what they want or need from me. Some people say they were asked to write an outline of a letter with details they could use. Others have said you should just provide them with a resume. Any suggestions for the best way to go about getting the most from a recommender, or do they already know what to do?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
merimark9 wrote:
I approached two of my recommenders a while ago to ask them if they would be willing to provide a letter for my application and they replied positively but didn't give me much of an idea of what they want or need from me. Some people say they were asked to write an outline of a letter with details they could use. Others have said you should just provide them with a resume. Any suggestions for the best way to go about getting the most from a recommender, or do they already know what to do?

You can provide them with a 1-2 page document that briefly outlines your achievements and the stories behind them. Something like the " time when I did ....XYZ" and a short story following it.

Eventually your recommenders will use the format asked by the b-school: these could be a set of 5-7 questions, or a free flowing recommendation. These pointers will help in both cases.

Don't assume that your recommenders know what to do - I am sure you will not want to take that chance.

And do get on this process well before submission date- you don't want to be in a lurch until the end, wondering whether your recommenders will do do the needful.

Namita.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, Namita. I appreciate your response and take it to mean I should provide my recommenders with details about my role in projects and/or undertakings I've been involved in and the success that ensued, personal or collaborative - give them some background and information that they can tie in to what I hope they will say about my being top MBA material. Other than what they already know.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
merimark9 wrote:

You got that bang on!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just want to wish everyone who's applying to Harvard good luck. Let's hear some of those amazing acceptance stories when the time comes - they give us all hope.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ditto. Let the games begin!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whew! I got to my recommenders with additional information just in time and they have done their job. This was the last step for me so I'm ready to go. Appreciate the help from Namita in this forum.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Your applications are in but it's not over. With any luck you'll get an interview and you have to do some real preparation for that. It's an important part of the app process so try to be ready. Good luck to us all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I hear that Kellogg is doing a video interview, or will do one if you prefer (and that next year it will be mandatory). I am applying to Kellogg in Round 2. I feel like I have to search out someone who will have gone through this before I make up my mind, though I don't see that it would be a problem. It sounds like it would be the same as if it were in person.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It might be easier because you would be at home or in an environment that's comfortable for you. Personally I don't know anyone who's done a video interview yet but we'll probably be hearing about it online very soon.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see there are some examples on YouTube and a link to some hilarious ones, though I don't believe they really got sent in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whoa. I lost my post. I was saying that I won't be applying to Harvard with my GMAT of 640 because I don't think I can improve on my 40 Quant score. I think I have a great application, solid resume, good extracurricular activity and hopefully excellent recommendations but I'm feeling sub-par on the GMAT. I'm white, female and 27 years old. I am applying to Sloan and Wharton, and others, and will hope for the best but I have my doubts. I know I'm smart and what my strengths are and what I want to achieve with an MBA - I just don't think I'm OUTSTANDING enough. I must say, these posts are confusing in that respect.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A GMAT of 640 is on the low side for the top schools. I would seriously consider getting a math tutor who specializes in GMAT preparation and trying one more time because, unfortunately, this will almost certainly hold you back. We all know how difficult it is and how much time has to go toward working to overcome a mental block in certain Quant categories. It can be done, as many determined people will tell you. You want to be close to 700 but even a 670 will improve your chances.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've done two GMATS with little improvement. It's such a big deal. I'm worried that even if I can improve my Quant score something else will drop off. I might take your advice and thanks for it. I'm applying for 2015 so I still have time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have to agree with heavyduty above. Personally I don't know anyone who's gotten in to HBS or any of the other top five with a 640 GMAT. If you want them to look at you, you have to be close to a 700. Not to be discouraging but that's the truth. Otherwise you should start thinking about other schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I can't face doing the GMAT again. I have a lot of faith in the rest of my app so I'm going to go ahead with my wish list - but maybe not Harvard.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6