Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [20]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [1]
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the 1860s, the German philologist Lazarus Geiger proposed that the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I agree that it is tough, only because, as I mentioned, it requires you to look back at many locations/details. But In this it resembles EXCEPT questions (when all of the answer choices respond to the question, except one). In EXCEPT questions, similarly, you need to look for each point mentioned and verify its relevance.

However, once you figure out the trick to the current question, it isn't that tough.

What was the source for this question? It may be an 'over-the-top' attempt to emulate a GMAT question. OG 13 should be a reliable guide for the difficulty level to expect on the test. I don't think that these kind of trick questions are all that common on the test.

honchos wrote:
IlanaEconomistGMAT wrote:
honchos wrote:
OA is B, But I have doubt why this is correct, does some one Know how to use elimination in RC to get rid of wrong choices.
B
On the scale of 10 where will you rate this question, I believe this question is quite tough, I have little difficulty in solving in OG13 edition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the 1860s, the German philologist Lazarus Geiger proposed that the [#permalink]
Kudos
IlanaEconomistGMAT wrote:
honchos wrote:
OA is B, But I have doubt why this is correct, does some one Know how to use elimination in RC to get rid of wrong choices.

This question is what we call an Application Question in the Economist GMAT Tutor course. In other words, you aren't looking at something stated in so many words by the author of the passage, but you are culling and integrating information from all over the passage, to answer a question about something that is related to the passage, either directly or indirectly. You need to apply your understanding of the passage in order to answer it.

So this question is asking you which view is compatible with the idea that the color names follow a fixed pattern. The way to proceed is to quickly look back at the names of all the thinkers mentioned in each answer choice and try to determine whether their view supports the idea that naming of colors is "fixed" or "not-fixed". For this, you need to pay attention to words and phrase that might be synonyms or antonyms of "fixed". We must eliminate views that support the ideas of a "non-fixed" pattern.

Answer choice A is incorrect because the empiricists regard color labels as "arbitrary" - the opposite of "fixed" - eliminate
B - save this one because the "innately determined' corresponds more or less to "fixed".
C - the Loreto school is also not about an "inevitably distinct block..."; "inevitable" = "fixed, therefore "not inevitable" = "not fixed" - eliminate
D - since "nativists" include Berlin and Kay - those who disagree with them don't believe in the fixity of color names - eliminate
E - culturalist are identified with Loreto. If we eliminate C, we must also eliminate E.

As you can say, this question is tricky because the 5 answer choices represent only 3 views. Once you notice this, the elimination process occurs very quickly. When you have identified one pair of thinkers with one view you have already eliminated 2 answer choices. When you have identified a second pair of thinkers with another view - presto, there go two more answer choices, leaving you with one.

Remember that Application questions can often be more time consuming than other questions. Why? Because they require you to look at different locations in the passage and at a lot of detail. More commonly, RC questions require you to identify one location where the answer should be found, but here you have to look around a bit more.

Magoosh was the source, I am quite comfortable with OG13 level.

Ca you please also look at this question-
guillotined-on-highly-questionable-charges-at-the-height-of-161885.html#p1280797
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I chose B because even before the article starts explaining all the different views of each thinker we are told that Berlin and Kay’s hypothesis has since fallen in and out of favour, and certainly there are exceptions to the scheme they proposed. But the fundamental color hierarchy, at least in the early stages (black/white, red, yellow/green, blue) remains generally accepted.

Berlin and Kay are part of the nativist view, and their view is generally accepted along with some exceptions. So each view is built upon their initial thought on how colors are named. Therefore, answer choice B seems the most logical here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
abhishek31 wrote:
hi, what is the OA of question 2?

According to me correct answer is E
“Empiricists,” in contrast, argue that we don’t need this innate programming, just the capacity to learn the conventional (but arbitrary) labels for things we can perceive.
It can be inferred from this part of the passage
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33014 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

Main idea

Para 1: In para 1 the topic "Color subdivision" is introduced its background and history is discussed.

Para 2: Para 2 further describes the details about the topic by giving Berlin and Kay’s hypothesis.

Para 3: Para 3 presents a twist to the main idea it provides two competing thoughts about the topic at hand, discussed each with its ideology.

Para 4: Concludes that the conclusion is something different from both of these thoughts and it is a third different possibility.

1. The idea that the order in which humans name colors follows a fixed pattern is most consistent with which of the following?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

This question covers almost whole of the passage by paragraph wise.

A. Option A is totally opposite and can be found in second paragraph in the lines

“Empiricists,” in contrast, argue that we don’t need this innate programming, just the capacity to learn the conventional (but arbitrary) labels for things we can perceive.

B. This is the correct answer it can also be found in the second paragraph in the following lines

“Nativists,” who include Berlin and Kay argue that the way in which we attach words to concepts is innately determined by how we perceive the world.

C. Just read the third line of last paragraph and it make it incorrect answer. The conclusion is that it is a third possibility.

In both cases, the categories of things to name are deemed “obvious”: language just labels them. But the conclusions of Loreto and colleagues fit with a third possibility:

D. Completely out of the way. Incorrect

E. culturist view supports the conclusion which is different from both of the contrasting views presented in second paragraph. so it is Incorrect

Answer: B

2. The passage implies that the empiricists believe that the way humans go about ordering color is arbitrary because

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

A. the range of colors that humans can perceive is circumscribed by their physiology
Nothing is mentioned as such so it is Incorrect

B. some cultures describe colors along the spectrum that most other cultures fail to name
This text is available in the passage but it is not the answer so it is Incorrect.

C. there are certain cultures that do not strictly adhere to fundamental color hierarchy
It presents an idea out of the context: Incorrect

D. without an innate capacity to learn the ordering of colors, humans would be unable to identify a vast majority of colors
humans would be unable to identify a vast majority of colors - This line make it incorrect as there is nothing such indicated in the passage.

E. humans do not have a biological predisposition towards any specific color but simply the ability to describe different colors.
This one is correct and can be verified in third paragraph via following lines

Answer: E

Hope it helps
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts