Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:33 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Strategy Confirmation - Sentence Correction - eGMAT or MGMAT [#permalink]
Regardless of the prep-company you use for Sentence correction the idea is the same. You need to develop enough knowledge to be able to identify the errors easily and then have a logical approach to find the errors in an efficient manner. Most students are not systematic in their approach and end up doing extra work or overlooking easy answers. Each main error type has specific words that indicate the error could be present and you need to learn to look for those instead of re-reading each answer choice as a new item. When you find an error type you need to find the other parts of the sentence that will help determine the correct answer. For example, if you find a subject/verb error and the verb is underlined, you need to look in the sentence for the subject - eliminating all of the other pieces of the sentence, so that you are only considering a small portion of the sentence when making your decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 11-28-2013
Send PM
Hey,

Which one did you finally take and what is your review about the same. I am also confused between e-GMAT and GMAT pill.

Cheers,
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
It sounds like you are pretty far down the road in terms of understanding the concepts. I can't speak to any other prep materials, but I can say that you will get additional value out of the MGMAT advanced chapters, Ron's lectures, and the forum, but your first priority should be to focus on your process. I honestly think you can get your biggest returns from doing thorough reviews of your practice problems and completing focused study on your areas of weakness.

You must review every problem you do in depth. Did you understand why certain answer choices should be eliminated? (I like what Kad said "Reason such as ambiguous or vague are bad reasons to eliminate SC but still many student rely only on this.") As you work on problems, do you spot errors in the original? Do you recognize the categorical problems within the splits? Are you having problems with specific areas? If you are still working by "feel" or "using your ear" as you do SC, you cannot progress. You must start identify the issues being tested so you can make proper eliminations. If you are struggling to identify the types of errors, practice categorizing the problems you see in the answer choices. For example, "I can eliminate A&C because of S/V agreement, and E is a parallelism problem, and B shifts the meaning incorrectly, so I choose D." Then, after you work the problem, look to the explanation to see if you were correct in your analysis. Look to see if there were errors you didn't see. Once you get good at recognizing errors by type, you will be successful at SC.

As you go through the process and you find that you are weak in a specific area, do some focused study in that area. Pull out the MGMAT topics on that subject. Review questions from the forum that have the same type. Look in the MGMAT book for OG problems that are focused on that area and work those specific problems so you get repeated exposure and practice in that area.

SC is a journey, but you have to be systematic about it. Also, a word of caution - being systematic doesn't mean you are only focused on grammar. You need to be systematic on how you address meaning as well. Meaning may seem like it's more based on feel, but it's not. You just need a slightly different process to make sure the sentence is logical and modifiers are properly placed.

Hope this helps...

KW
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Vaibhavnov wrote:
Hey,

Which one did you finally take and what is your review about the same. I am also confused between e-GMAT and GMAT pill.

Cheers,

Hi Vaibhav,

Have a look at this thread 680-v28-to-740-v40-in-30-days-nailed-verbal-157924.html

I have posted my experience of using eGMAT there and my performance henceforth.

Let me know if in case you have additional questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts