Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 16:26 It is currently 01 May 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2978 [6]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Re: EnergyMill Company Advertisement: An Environmental Impact Coalition [#permalink]
Kudos
avohden wrote:
EnergyMill Company Advertisement:

An Environmental Impact Coalition report shows that wind power produces
the fewest pollutants among all green energy alternatives. This shows that
EnergyMill wind turbines are the best choice for powering new developments
in rural areas.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in
the advertisement?

OA and Explanation to follow ...

(A) An earlier Environmental Impact Coalition report showed that solar power
produces fewer pollutants than does wind power.
Poweting new developments is our goal. Yes solar power produces fewer pollutants but that does not imply that its the best option
(B) In the last five years, the government has invested more in wind power
than in any other form of green energy.
Looks out of scope
(C) The dispersion of homes in rural areas makes wind power several times
more expensive that conventional energy sources.
This appears to be correct. Since the houses are sparsely populated, the cost of wind power increases and hence it weakens the conclusion
(D) The difference between the number of pollutants generated by wind power
and conventional power sources is quite pronounced.
Looks out of scope
(E) The Environmental Impact Coalition issues reports only once a year.
Looks out of scope
Source: GMAT Hacks - 010813
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: EnergyMill Company Advertisement: An Environmental Impact Coalition [#permalink]
ankur1901 wrote:
avohden wrote:
EnergyMill Company Advertisement:

An Environmental Impact Coalition report shows that wind power produces
the fewest pollutants among all green energy alternatives. This shows that
EnergyMill wind turbines are the best choice for powering new developments
in rural areas.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in
the advertisement?

OA and Explanation to follow ...

(A) An earlier Environmental Impact Coalition report showed that solar power
produces fewer pollutants than does wind power.
Poweting new developments is our goal. Yes solar power produces fewer pollutants but that does not imply that its the best option
(B) In the last five years, the government has invested more in wind power
than in any other form of green energy.
Looks out of scope
(C) The dispersion of homes in rural areas makes wind power several times
more expensive that conventional energy sources.
This appears to be correct. Since the houses are sparsely populated, the cost of wind power increases and hence it weakens the conclusion
(D) The difference between the number of pollutants generated by wind power
and conventional power sources is quite pronounced.
Looks out of scope
Looks out of scope
Source: GMAT Hacks - 010813

How can this be?
Nowhere is there any focus on money.
The only thing that is used to estimate if energy is good or bad is the amount of pollutants.
I think it's A.
Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is a poorly written question -- I too, thought the answer was A because it makes the premise of the argument incorrect. Like others before have stated, if the argument stated that wind power was the best choice for rural areas because it was cheaper, than C would be the best answer.

Upon further research, I found the original question, which includes an explanation for the answers A and C:

Quote:
This is a weaken question. The shift from the first sentence to the second makes the assumption clear. The argument relies on the underlying claim that, because wind power produces the fewest pollutants, it is the best choice. More probably, there are other considerations. The correct choice will likely point out some other consideration that may outweigh the level of pollutants.

Sure, there are other considerations, but we don't know what other considerations would make something better or worse; therefore, we cannot use other considerations to weaken our argument. For all we know, a higher cost could make something better (in terms of quality, for example -- but we would be making an assumption here, too).

Quote:
(A) A reference to an earlier (or different) report is almost always wrong; we have no way of comparing the validity of the two reports. Anyway, it doesn't address the assumption.

It's a huge assumption to think that an earlier report would almost always be wrong just because it came before the argument's report. And it's not true that we don't know the validity of the two reports; we must conclude that the report in Answer A is just as valid, if not more, than the report from the argument because the question says "if true".

Quote:
(C) This is correct. This is a strong reason why wind power may not be the best choice for new rural areas.

And again, for C, wouldn't we be making an assumption to say that wind power is not the best choice just because it is more expensive? There are plenty of things that are more expensive, but "better". Usually, when we say something is better, we have certain criteria -- in this case, our criteria for "better" is the amount of pollutants it produces. Based solely on this information, and if we know that solar power produces less pollutants than wind power, then we can conclude that solar power is actually the best option.

Of course, maybe I just have a bias against the question now because I got it wrong :wink:

EDIT: after thinking about it, making the premise not true is not the most effective way to weaken an argument. Attacking assumptions in the argument is the better strategy, but again, this question is badly worded. It perhaps might be better written as such:

An Environmental Impact Coalition report shows that wind power produces the fewest pollutants among all green energy alternatives. Since rural areas cannot afford most conventional energy alternatives, EnergyMill wind turbines are the best choice for powering new developments in rural areas.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) An earlier Environmental Impact Coalition report showed that solar power produces fewer pollutants than does wind power.
(B) In the last five years, the government has invested more in wind power than in any other form of green energy.
(C) The dispersion of homes in rural areas makes wind power several times more expensive that conventional energy sources.
(D) The difference between the number of pollutants generated by wind power and conventional power sources is quite pronounced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
It is clearly A ... since solar power produces fewer pollutants ... it is the best option not wind power...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2978 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM