Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-05-2015
GPA: 3.88
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: If a, b, c, and d are all positive integers, is c divisible by a/d? [#permalink]
For me it is C.

Using the first statement to define an equation: CB/A=k

Using the second statement to say that you can factorize by D.

With the both answers you can definitely answer to the question.

Can we have OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: If a, b, c, and d are all positive integers, is c divisible by a/d? [#permalink]
I'm going with E.

Based on part I, we know that a/d is an integer. THat means that d/a might be an integer, or it might not (if it's an integer, it would have to be 1, if d=a).

Based on part II, we know that C/A is an integer.. so to prove that DC/A is an integer, we would need proof, one way or the other, that D/A is an integer. Unfortunately, we can't make that distinction either positively or negatively for reasons discussed in the previous paragraph.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Firstly, I thought E

given a,b,c,d are positive integers. Is c divisible by a/d implies \(\frac{c}{a/d}=\frac{cd}{a}=int\)

(1) b * c is divisible by a
Factor 'a' can be present in 'b' or in 'c'..... We cannot exactly say if 'c' has factor 'a' to make \(\frac{cd}{a}\) integer because 'b' can also have a factor 'a' or both 'b', 'c' can have a factor of 'a'- Not Sufficient

(2) GCF (a,b) = d
GCF of a,b is d in the sense..... both 'a' and 'b' will have a common factor 'd'.... but you do not know exactly what is 'a'... 'a' can just be 'd' or '2d' or '3d' or 'nd' in which case \(\frac{cd}{a}\) has a remaining factor from 'a' (except 'a'='d' case all other cases have factors such as 2,3, or n) in the denominator..... For \(\frac{cd}{a}\) to be an integer the remaining factor of 'a' should also be present in 'c'. Not sufficient.

(1) + (2)
there are still possible cases of both things to happen...
My working was as below.
GCF (a,b) = d. In other words we can write as \(a=Ad\) and \(b=Bd\) where (A, B) should be (even, odd) or (odd, even) or (prime numbers).
From 1, \(c=integer*a/b\) implies \(c = integer*A/B\)

Now consider \(\frac{cd}{a}\). substituting values \(\frac{cd}{a}\)= \(integer*A/B *d/Ad\) = \(integer/B\). Since there are no restrictions with Integer and B, I went with E.... that fraction can be an integer or a non-integer.
But I am not able to create examples for showing \(\frac{cd}{a}\) is not integer are yielding contradictory values.... Answer may be C.... Can someone decode the logic from where I left off. Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mniyer wrote:
If a,b,c, and d are all positive integers, is c divisible by a/d?

(2) GCF (a,b) = d

I'm not sure about the answer and I don't know the source. Appreciate posts with explanation.

You can also think logically without getting into a ton of variables.

Using both together:

GCF (a,b) = d means a and b both have d as a factor and nothing else common e.g. a = 2d, b = 3d etc
b*c is divisible by a. b and a have only d common so the leftover factors of a must be in c. That is, the 2 of a must be a factor of c so that b*c is divisible by a.

Question is whether c is divisible by a/d. a already has d as a factor and another factor (2 in our example). We have already established above that the leftover factor must be a factor of c i.e. 2 must be in c. Hence c is divisible by a/d (a/d is 2 in our example).

Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Thank you for stopping by. I was the person who pm'd you. I messed it up above with too many variables. Your solution is now clear. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mniyer wrote:

(2) GCF (a,b) = d

I'm not sure about the answer and I don't know the source. Appreciate posts with explanation.

You can also think logically without getting into a ton of variables.

Using both together:

GCF (a,b) = d means a and b both have d as a factor and nothing else common e.g. a = 2d, b = 3d etc
b*c is divisible by a. b and a have only d common so the leftover factors of a must be in c. That is, the 2 of a must be a factor of c so that b*c is divisible by a.

Question is whether c is divisible by a/d. a already has d as a factor and another factor (2 in our example). We have already established above that the leftover factor must be a factor of c i.e. 2 must be in c. Hence c is divisible by a/d (a/d is 2 in our example).

Answer (C)

Is this wrong ?
Ler b= 2 c= 3 a= 2

Then b*c is divisible by a
and GCD (a,b)= 2 hence d = 2

a/d = 2/2= 1
c= 3
Is 1 divisible by 3 ? No

Let b= 2 c= 3 a= 3
and GCD (a,b)= 1= d

a/d= 3/1 = 3 ,
C= 3
Is 3 divisible by 3? yes

How come I am getting E?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
qlx wrote:

Is this wrong ?
Ler b= 2 c= 3 a= 2

and GCD (a,b)= 2 hence d = 2

a/d = 2/2= 1
c= 3
Is 1 divisible by 3 ? No

Let b= 2 c= 3 a= 3
and GCD (a,b)= 1= d

a/d= 3/1 = 3 ,
C= 3
Is 3 divisible by 3? yes

How come I am getting E?

I recommend you to read the question stem once again. It says "is c divisible by a/d?" but in your first case of number plugging you tried the other way i.e. is a/d divisible by c? In your example, the statement should be is 3 divisible by 1? Yes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
If a, b, c, and d are all positive integers, is c divisible by a/d? [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mniyer wrote:

(2) GCF (a,b) = d

Responding to a pm:

Question: Is c divisible by a/d?

b*c = a*m (m is an integer)
Doesn't tell us anything about d. We could give d any value to get yes or no as answers. Not sufficient alone.

(2) GCF (a,b) = d
a = d*p
b = d*q (p and q are co-prime integers i.e. they have no common factor except 1)
This doesn't tell us anything about c. We could give c any value to get yes or no as answers. Not sufficient alone.

Now the answer will be either (C) or (E).
Using both statements together, let's get everything in terms of d for comparison.

a = d*p
b = d*q
c = a*m/b = dpm/dq = pm/q
Now, since p and q have no common factors but c is an integer, m must be a multiple of q. Therefore, c = p*(Some integer) ........ (I)

Question: Is c divisible by a/d?
a/d = d*p/d = p
Question: Is c divisible by p?
From (I) above, we know that c is a multiple of p and hence is divisible by p. So 'YES, c is divisible by a/d.'

Answer (C)

Hi there!
From statement 2
Why p and q are coprime integers?
GMAT Club Bot
If a, b, c, and d are all positive integers, is c divisible by a/d? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts