Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [25]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: IIM-L '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Debrief and how not to approach it:760 - Q50, V42 [#permalink]
GMAT Prep 1: 730
MGMAT 1 : 700 - V46, Q38
MGMAT 2 : 690 - V46, Q37
MGMAT 3 : 680 - V45, Q37
GMAT Prep 1 : 750 V41, Q49
MGMAT 4: 680 - V 45, Q37
GMAT Prep 2 : 760 V42, Q50
MGMAT 5 - 730 - V51, Q38
MGMAT 6 - 700 - V48, Q37

GMAT: 760 V42, Q50.

Congrats fr ur score!! please recheck ur score ...in ur MGMAT 1:did u get 46 in verbal or in quant?? I am finding MGMAT Quant way too tough as well.. it kills my confidence everytime I take it :( I have been consistently scoring 45 in MGMAT quant :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
soneesingh wrote:
MGMAT 5 - 730 - V51, Q38
MGMAT 6 - 700 - V48, Q37

Congrats fr ur score!! please recheck ur score ...in ur MGMAT 1:did u get 46 in verbal or in quant?? I am finding MGMAT Quant way too tough as well.. it kills my confidence everytime I take it :( I have been consistently scoring 45 in MGMAT quant :(

Thank you.

I guess post test fatigue disorder is affecting me; I have updated my correct MGMAT scores. V and Q had to be interchanged.

Q45 is not bad, you should be able to get a min Q49 on the real thing. It is true that MGMAT Quant is quite tough but I did somehow manage to score a MGMAT Q51 and it really boosted my confidence. So much so that I partied that night. lol

if I can do it I am sure anyone else can do it too. Here is how I did it:

How much time do you have before you take your GMAT? If you have 2 months or so, I would say go through every MGMAT guide if you haven't already. Go through the GMAT CLUB Quant PDF. Cover all the basic content that there is to GMAT Quant. No compromises when it comes to covering you basics!

You will need to memorize certain things like area of an equilateral triangle is (\sqrt{3}/4)S2. You could have derived it but it really helps on having things handy to cut down on time. Another example is: For a set of consecutive integers, if the number of integers is even the median and mean are both non integers and equal to the average of n/2th and n/2th +1 term. You could probably derive this in exam but it saves you 30-60 seconds if you already have such things on your tips.

By the time you've gone through the two sources mentioned above you should have a set of notes with you that you can go through in 30 minutes- 45 minutes whenever you want to. Start going through them every day till you can fall back on them even while half asleep. Once you've prepared the notes start taking GMAT Club tests and start going through your mistakes.

Analyze and determine:

1. In Which topics and if you need more knowledge of content and basics.
2. Any timing bottlenecks or scope for shortcuts like formulae you could identify.
3. There will be 10 percent of questions that will be almost impossible within the time constraints, forget them.
4. Make sure you're not repeating similar mistakes or many mistakes in the same topic.
5. Add to your notes if there is any scope to do so.

After the analysis address point 1, 2 and 4. Do whatever you need to do to make amends in the next 3-4 days. Repeat. You should be on Rinse Repeat Rinse mode and I am sure within a month you will see some serious gains ;)

Don't get into the tough stuff till your basics are clear. You're just going to waste questions taking mocks if you're taking them when you're not ready. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Thanks for the reply!! Now that you have taken the test and scored wonderfully u don't need to be grammatically and meaningfully correct(see I have to still check for parallelism :| ).. but u can give ur mind some break..

I am planning to take GMAT in first-second week of January. In MGMAT test until 28th QUEST I get 98 percentile after that I crash to 68th percentile. You are right, I mess up my time and need to by heart some formula to save time.
Gmat club book is awesome. I have started referring to it . I have not done MGMAT guides, I guess Gmat club book covers all the topic pretty well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
well congrats for your remarkable score, you have really done a good job.
as i am getting problems in solving RCs questions..i rarely get 3 or 4 questions right out from 14 questions..this area is the big obstacle for me to get above 650..please help me out..!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
abhimandu1 wrote:
well congrats for your remarkable score, you have really done a good job.
as i am getting problems in solving RCs questions..i rarely get 3 or 4 questions right out from 14 questions..this area is the big obstacle for me to get above 650..please help me out..!!

Thanks!

I've added a section - "RC Strategy" in the main post; it might give you some ideas on where to start with improvements in RC.

Keep one thing in mind - If it is your weak area, you will not turn it into a strong area over night. Be patient and remember RC is the game changer for YOU in GMAT so it is expected that it rips you apart every time you aspire to do well on the GMAT. Be kind to yourself and keep working on your strategy till you master it. Don't get lost in the specifics of the passage, learn stuff from it that will help you in the next RC passage you face.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
soneesingh wrote:
Thanks for the reply!! Now that you have taken the test and scored wonderfully u don't need to be grammatically and meaningfully correct(see I have to still check for parallelism :| ).. but u can give ur mind some break..

I am planning to take GMAT in first-second week of January. In MGMAT test until 28th QUEST I get 98 percentile after that I crash to 68th percentile. You are right, I mess up my time and need to by heart some formula to save time.
Gmat club book is awesome. I have started referring to it . I have not done MGMAT guides, I guess Gmat club book covers all the topic pretty well.

One thing that GMAT verbal does is that it makes you super conscious of your grammar! I am suffering from the after effects.

If you are scoring in the 98th percentile by question 28 on MGMAT you are doing great! You might have some timing issues which make your score drop in the end. Make sure you are not spending more than 4 minutes on more than 1-2 questions. In one of the tests I was at 98 percentile by question 35, got the 36th and 37th wrong and my score was down to 79 percentile and Q48. Don't get too overwhelmed by the percentiles on mocks. You should use MGMAT and other mocks to learn how to move on from a question. You can't afford to spend more than 4:30 minutes on a question, no matter what.

If I were you I'd go all in for the GMAT CLUB quant test subscription. The questions are hard but unlike MGMAT's, they are not time consuming because they don't have lots of details in them. Those questions are genuinely hard and they helped me out a lot in ironing out issues with my timing. I memorized important shortcuts and cut down on timing issues test by test.

All the best to you. If a week before the exam something tells you that you have room for improvement, I'd say don't hesitate to postpone.
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
This was so informative! I really liked how you spent time discussing what NOT to do.

I also thought that this tip was really helpful:

Time yourself: I can confidently claim that over 95% of the questions that I ever did, even in practice or after learning a new concept, were done under strictly timed conditions. This made sure that while learning new things I always gave timing a good consideration before adopting a strategy. I instantly knew what would work and what wouldn't in terms of solving a problem within the time limits.

I think we sometimes forget how the GMAT not only tests your academic knowledge, but also tests your exam-taking abilities as well. Timing is key!

Regards,

Elizabeth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
soneesingh wrote:
MGMAT 5 - 730 - V51, Q38
MGMAT 6 - 700 - V48, Q37

I had to stop doing MGMAT CATs because they were destroying my confidence. I did better on the actual exam in Quant than I did on any of the MGMAT practice exams. That isn't to say you shouldn't keep pushing hard, but I think you will probably do better on the actual test if that is how you are doing on the practice tests.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
This was so informative! I really liked how you spent time discussing what NOT to do.

I also thought that this tip was really helpful:

Time yourself: I can confidently claim that over 95% of the questions that I ever did, even in practice or after learning a new concept, were done under strictly timed conditions. This made sure that while learning new things I always gave timing a good consideration before adopting a strategy. I instantly knew what would work and what wouldn't in terms of solving a problem within the time limits.

I think we sometimes forget how the GMAT not only tests your academic knowledge, but also tests your exam-taking abilities as well. Timing is key!

Regards,

Elizabeth

I think if timing constraints were removed, the list of people with over 99 percentile on the GMAT could very well change! In practise we need to perfect every single caveat that GMAT throws at us if we are aiming at a high score.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts