Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 04:27 It is currently 08 May 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30864 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: My 3rd GMAT: DISAPPOINTED ! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation AasaanHai.

Dear saifa08,

Firstly let me say that despite what your actual GMAT scores are, your GMAT Prep scores indicate that you do have the potential to cross the 600 mark.

However, your performance on the actual GMAT could have been affected by one or more of the following reasons.
a. You might know the concepts tested on the GMAT, but you might be lacking the application skills of those concepts.
b. You might not be having a systematic approach to solve the questions.
c. Your performance might have been affected under the exam pressure. (This again is because of a lack of systematic approach)

I would say that it’s time for you to take a brief pause, look back and think about why the process adopted by you hasn’t worked because 7 weeks of focused preparation must result in improvement.

Appropriate planning and diligent execution are quite important for anyone to succeed on the GMAT. The first thing you need to do is to properly assess your strengths and weaknesses, especially in the verbal section since that is where you seem to be facing trouble. (You can take the SC, CR and RC diagnostic tests which are a part of e-GMAT’s free trial).
Then you need to work on your weaknesses and also bolster your strengths at the same time.

I suggest you take an online course which helps you do the same. You can try our course for free (We offer about 20% of our course contents for free). See if it suits your needs.

Let me mention that we get a number of people who are in your shoes. What you are trying to accomplish is very doable and has been accomplished by numerous non-natives.

Click here to read the success story of Ayesha who improved from V20 to V34 in 15 days.
Similarly, here is the success story of Sandeep who improved from V21 to V41.

Once again, it is important that you stay positive and do not get bogged down. Remember that the things required for GMAT preparation are positive outlook, strategic planning, and diligent implementation.

Feel free to write to me in case of further queries.

Regards,
Krishna
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your advice Krishna .

I agree that my weaknesses are a combination of the three points, I think it's mainly point C where I really feel the pressure on the last section of the exam (Verbal).

I was getting better in SC section but somehow did not consistently follow my technique to answer the questions. Also my CR score was between 70 - 80% correct during practices but this ends up to be 50 -60% during exams!! My RC not so bad taking into account over all performance on the verbal.

Now I am trying to stay positive and will book my exam after a month, this time I will focus more on verbal by consistently following a specific technique to solve each equations on the SC, CR and RC. I will check my options for online courses as I am in full time work and will not be able to attend a classes.

I have booked 2 weeks off from work to have more time to study before the exam.

Do you think one month including 2 week full time will be enough to master a strategy to tackle the Verbal section and maybe improve the Quants above 45?

Thanks

egmat wrote:
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation AasaanHai.

Dear saifa08,

Firstly let me say that despite what your actual GMAT scores are, your GMAT Prep scores indicate that you do have the potential to cross the 600 mark.

However, your performance on the actual GMAT could have been affected by one or more of the following reasons.
a. You might know the concepts tested on the GMAT, but you might be lacking the application skills of those concepts.
b. You might not be having a systematic approach to solve the questions.
c. Your performance might have been affected under the exam pressure. (This again is because of a lack of systematic approach)

I would say that it’s time for you to take a brief pause, look back and think about why the process adopted by you hasn’t worked because 7 weeks of focused preparation must result in improvement.

Appropriate planning and diligent execution are quite important for anyone to succeed on the GMAT. The first thing you need to do is to properly assess your strengths and weaknesses, especially in the verbal section since that is where you seem to be facing trouble. (You can take the SC, CR and RC diagnostic tests which are a part of e-GMAT’s free trial).
Then you need to work on your weaknesses and also bolster your strengths at the same time.

I suggest you take an online course which helps you do the same. You can try our course for free (We offer about 20% of our course contents for free). See if it suits your needs.

Let me mention that we get a number of people who are in your shoes. What you are trying to accomplish is very doable and has been accomplished by numerous non-natives.

Click here to read the success story of Ayesha who improved from V20 to V34 in 15 days.
Similarly, here is the success story of Sandeep who improved from V21 to V41.

Once again, it is important that you stay positive and do not get bogged down. Remember that the things required for GMAT preparation are positive outlook, strategic planning, and diligent implementation.

Feel free to write to me in case of further queries.

Regards,
Krishna
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3165 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
saifa08 wrote:
Hi all,

I am an engineer and english isn't my first language so I am ok on the Quant but not so well on the verbal as you would expect.

I have been preparing for full time for 7 weeks since October 2013, then I was back in january doing 2 hours every day during weekdays and a least 15 hours in the weekends.

I took my 3rd GMAT today and have scored a miserable 500 (Q 42, V19) . My last GMAT two exams were 450 in July and 530 in August 2013.

My last 4 mocks using GMAT prep package 1 (reset) and 2 were 600, 530, 600, 620. I have done MGMAT exams 18 times since July so I guess there results are not as good indicators as GMAT prep exams results.

I am using MGMAT for Quants and Verbal, OQ13, OQ reviews for Quant and Verbal, CR Bible, GMATprepnow videos and MGMAT for SC.

I am doing something wrong in the exam day that really brings my verbal score down below 20! I have to retake it again in a month as I already have a conditional offer to start this sep.

I would appreciate your advice and recommendations to achieve at least 650 in my next take.

Hi there,

I understand the scores debacle. However, the point I don't understand is why candidates give GMAT in a rush. I mean to say three attempts.

I gave my first GMAT in Mar-2013 and scored abysmal 630, and till now I haven't registered for another GMAT. It is because I need to be confident about my score in the mocks and they should be consistent enough too.

If you are disappointed please read below thread:

journey-from-560-to-740-over-4-tough-years-never-give-up-167606.html

Rgds,
TGC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi TGC,

Thanks for your input.

I am in rush because I have an offer already for FTMBA since last July and wanted to be done with the GMAT asap. I did spend a good time in preparation and I know many went through the same bath and did not achieve the required score in the first few tests.

Now my exam is in few weeks and I'm hopeful this time I will beat the GMAT.

Thanks

TGC wrote:
saifa08 wrote:
Hi all,

I am an engineer and english isn't my first language so I am ok on the Quant but not so well on the verbal as you would expect.

I have been preparing for full time for 7 weeks since October 2013, then I was back in january doing 2 hours every day during weekdays and a least 15 hours in the weekends.

I took my 3rd GMAT today and have scored a miserable 500 (Q 42, V19) . My last GMAT two exams were 450 in July and 530 in August 2013.

My last 4 mocks using GMAT prep package 1 (reset) and 2 were 600, 530, 600, 620. I have done MGMAT exams 18 times since July so I guess there results are not as good indicators as GMAT prep exams results.

I am using MGMAT for Quants and Verbal, OQ13, OQ reviews for Quant and Verbal, CR Bible, GMATprepnow videos and MGMAT for SC.

I am doing something wrong in the exam day that really brings my verbal score down below 20! I have to retake it again in a month as I already have a conditional offer to start this sep.

I would appreciate your advice and recommendations to achieve at least 650 in my next take.

Hi there,

I understand the scores debacle. However, the point I don't understand is why candidates give GMAT in a rush. I mean to say three attempts.

I gave my first GMAT in Mar-2013 and scored abysmal 630, and till now I haven't registered for another GMAT. It is because I need to be confident about my score in the mocks and they should be consistent enough too.

If you are disappointed please read below thread:

journey-from-560-to-740-over-4-tough-years-never-give-up-167606.html

Rgds,
TGC!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts