Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [18]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climat [#permalink]
It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climate of Mars inhabitable. It might be several centuries before people could live there, even with breathing apparatuses, but some of the world’s great temples and cathedrals took centuries to build. Research efforts now are justified if there is even a chance of making another planet inhabitable. Besides, the intellectual exercise of understanding how the Martian atmosphere might be changed could help in understanding atmospheric changes inadvertently triggered by human activity on Earth.

The main point of the argument is that
A. It is probably technologically possible for humankind to alter the climate of Mars. OFS. Scope: human technology, make the climate of Mars inhabitable
B. It would take several centuries to make Mars even marginally inhabitable. OFS: Passage doesn't mention about the extent marginally or majorily
C. Making Mars inhabitable is an effort comparable to building a great temple or cathedral.No comparison
D. Research efforts aimed at discovering how to change the climate of Mars are justified. Correct . in scope
E. Efforts to change the climate of Mars could facilitate understanding of the Earth’s climate. OFS. Passage states :understanding atmospheric changes inadvertently triggered by human activity on Earth.

My 2nd attempt with PoE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Re: It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climat [#permalink]
hello
as my weakest subject is critical reasoning i want your precious advice
in option number 1 it is given that to "alter the atmosphere" which can be compared with the 1st line of the passage "that to MAKE the climate inhabitable" so we can compare "make" with "alter"
in option number 2nd it is "to make marginally inhabitable" which can be compared with the second line of the stimulus which says "even with water apparatuses" so i think it can be compared with "even marginally inhabitable"
in option number d it is not supported by any premise so how can it be the answer as i think it is necessary to be supported by any premise
thank you
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climat [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I received a PM about this CR.

To confirm the identify of the conclusion, apply the WHY TEST:
1. State the apparent conclusion.
2. Ask WHY the apparent conclusion is true.
3. The rest of the argument should provide an answer.

TGC wrote:
It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climate of Mars inhabitable. It might be several centuries before people could live there, even with breathing apparatuses, but some of the world’s great temples and cathedrals took centuries to build. Research efforts now are justified if there is even a chance of making another planet inhabitable. Besides, the intellectual exercise of understanding how the Martian atmosphere might be changed could help in understanding atmospheric changes inadvertently triggered by human activity on Earth.

A. It is probably technologically possible for humankind to alter the climate of Mars.

B. It would take several centuries to make Mars even marginally inhabitable.

C. Making Mars inhabitable is an effort comparable to building a great temple or cathedral.

D. Research efforts aimed at discovering how to change the climate of Mars are justified.

E. Efforts to change the climate of Mars could facilitate understanding of the Earth’s climate.

The apparent conclusion is the statement in green:
Research is now justified.

WHY are we justified in researching ways to make the climate of Mars habitable?
The rest of the argument -- highlighted above in blue -- explains why research is justified.
It is probably within the reach of human technology to make the climate of Mars inhabitable.
Although it might be several centuries before people could live there, some of the world’s great temples and cathedrals took centuries to build, so there is a chance of making another planet inhabitable.
Moreover, the intellectual exercise of understanding how the Martian atmosphere might be changed could help in understanding atmospheric changes inadvertently triggered by human activity on Earth.

All of the statements in blue justify the research.
The statement in green passes the WHY test and thus is the conclusion.
Only D paraphrases the statement in green:
Research efforts aimed at discovering how to change the climate of Mars are justified.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64929 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TGC wrote:

A. It is probably technologically possible for humankind to alter the climate of Mars.

B. It would take several centuries to make Mars even marginally inhabitable.

C. Making Mars inhabitable is an effort comparable to building a great temple or cathedral.

D. Research efforts aimed at discovering how to change the climate of Mars are justified.

E. Efforts to change the climate of Mars could facilitate understanding of the Earth’s climate.

Quote:

in option number 1 it is given that to "alter the atmosphere" which can be compared with the 1st line of the passage "that to MAKE the climate inhabitable" so we can compare "make" with "alter"
in option number 2nd it is "to make marginally inhabitable" which can be compared with the second line of the stimulus which says "even with water apparatuses" so i think it can be compared with "even marginally inhabitable"
in option number d it is not supported by any premise so how can it be the answer as i think it is necessary to be supported by any premise

The 'main point' of the argument is the author's opinion. It is the reason the author writes the argument.
So what was it that the author wanted to say here:

He is saying that human tech is probably sufficient. That it will take a lot of time but so does every great effort. The intellectual exercise involved could help in understanding Earth's climate.
So he is basically enumerating why research in making Mars inhabitable is justified.

(D) is your answer.
You may have support for some other options too but they are premises supporting the conclusion. They are not why the author wrote the argument. The main point of the argument is the conclusion. It is not a fact but the author's opinion. "The efforts are justified" is an opinion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts