Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Mission Admission: What about European B-Schools? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: What about European B-Schools?
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

This week, we consider another option for candidates looking to broaden their business school choices for next year: European MBA programs.

Although many candidates who are competing for places at the top U.S. business schools are well aware of the strengths of the MBA programs at INSEAD and the London Business School, even more options are available beyond these two, including IESE, ESADE, Oxford (Said) and Cambridge (Judge). These four schools in particular have been aggressively playing “catch up” with their better-known brethren by raising funds and dedicating them to scholarships and to enhancing their global brands. Those who know their business schools also know that IMD offers a boutique MBA program with remarkable international diversity, very highly regarded academics and a stellar reputation with international employers.

So, numerous options are available, and each can be explored on its own academic merit, but is earning your MBA in Europe, in itself, a good choice for you? For many, the key issue in determining this centers on where they would like to be after completing their education. If you are seeking to work in Europe, then clearly, these schools offer an advantage over all but the top five or six schools in the United States. (Harvard Business School, for example, can probably open as many doors in Europe as INSEAD can.) However, if you are seeking to work in the States, then the European schools will not provide the pipeline of opportunities that a top-15 American school will provide, particularly for those who hope to work in niche industries or with companies that are not well-known international brands.

Still, beyond the employment picture, studying abroad offers intrinsic value. Two years in London, Fountainbleu or Lausanne can certainly be its own reward…
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Baba Shiv, Stanford Graduate School of B [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Baba Shiv, Stanford Graduate School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose which business school to attend, but the educational experience itself is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Baba Shiv from the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB).

“Baba Shiv is a legend,” said a first-year GSB student with whom we spoke. Baba Shiv (“The Frinky Science of the Mind” and “Neuroscience for Business and Economics”) received his MBA from the Indian Institute of Management and his PhD from Duke University before joining the Stanford GSB faculty in 2005. Shiv’s research concentration is in the area of neuroeconomics, and he focuses his studies on the systems of the brain that lead individuals to like and want things and how those systems shape people’s decisions. His work explores self-control and why people make certain choices, even when logic tells them that those choices may not be in their best interest.

A February 2008 GSB alumni magazine article describes Shiv as “a favorite uncle who is always interested in your life and eager to talk about new, exciting ideas,” and Dan Ariely, a colleague of Shiv’s and a professor at MIT Sloan, notes in the same article, “Shiv’s mere presence makes everything around him seem better.” A second year and Marketing  Club officer told mbaMission that Shiv “tries to be a career resource for people who want to pursue marketing careers” and is “engaging and exciting to listen to. He is one of the favorite members of the whole faculty; people love him.”

For more information about the Stanford GSB and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
MBA News: Stanford GSB Revokes MBA from SAC Capital’s Martom [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Stanford GSB Revokes MBA from SAC Capital’s Martoma
On top of facing possible prison time for insider trading, it seems former SAC Capital trader Mathew Martoma will lose his MBA credentials. Speculation as to whether administrators at the Stanford Graduate School of Business would retaliate against their alumnus first arose several weeks ago, when Martoma made headlines for falsifying transcripts. The school confirmed on Tuesday that Martoma’s offer of admission to the GSB has been officially rescinded in light of evidence that he failed to disclose his prior expulsion from Harvard Law School. According to The Wall Street Journal, the decision will effectively strip Martoma of his MBA degree, as the school distances itself from the disgraced trader.

Nonetheless, a graduate degree is probably the least of Martoma’s worries, considering he faces a sentence of up to 20 years in prison. Martoma was convicted on two counts of securities fraud at the beginning of February—though he filed a request last week asking the judge to overturn the verdict or allow a retrial.

Revoking an MBA is quite rare, but Martoma is not the first top-ranking business school graduate to become embroiled in a highly-publicized scandal. The Wall Street Journal cites Wharton alumnus Raj Rajaratnam, who was convicted of securities fraud in 2011, and former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling, an HBS alumnus who was similarly convicted on insider trading charges. The GSB has not commented on Martoma’s academic record, though a spokeswoman for the school stated, “We take very seriously any violation of the integrity of our admissions process.” The Martoma debacle is perhaps the most vivid illustration in recent memory of the potential consequences of professional and academic dishonesty.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: MBgAy Party at Michigan Ross [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: MBgAy Party at Michigan Ross
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also making a commitment to a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

The student group Ross Out for Business hosted its first school-wide party, called MBgAy, in 2009, making it one of the newer events on the Michigan Ross social calendar. The party, which sold out very quickly, was held at a club in Ann Arbor and featured a drag fashion show followed by dancing. Profits were split between a local charity and the club’s new scholarship fund for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered students. One first-year student we interviewed just days after the February 2011 party (which raised $1,000 for the aforementioned scholarship fund) described the event as a “must see—for everyone.” In 2012, a portion of the proceeds raised went to support the Trevor Project, a national organization providing suicide and crisis intervention for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Michigan Ross and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: The Carey School of Business at Arizo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: The Carey School of Business at Arizona State
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

Arizona State University, the largest public university in the United States, is home to the W.P. Carey School of Business. Despite its extensive global network of more than 80,000 alumni, Carey boasts a small, tight-knit MBA program—with an incoming class size numbering just 74 students in 2013. Throughout the four quarters of their first year, students are exposed to a core general management curriculum, incorporating hands-on and experiential learning opportunities. Notable within Carey’s core course sequence is a business plan lab, taken in the fall, which culminates in a business plan competition in January. Through this offering, students learn entrepreneurial and general management skills applicable to a broad range of professional interests.

Starting in the second half of the first year, students are able to customize their curriculum to suit up to two out of seven possible areas of professional specialization. The Carey curriculum also offers the option of selecting from a list of seven areas of emphasis, designed to allow students to explore a given field more broadly. Students can also combine an MBA with one of five other degree offerings from the university in a dual-degree program. In addition, Carey boasts an internationally diverse class and strong global opportunities, including International Elective courses with destinations all over the world.
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: How Many of the 50 Richest Peopl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: How Many of the 50 Richest People on the Planet in 2014 Are MBAs?
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes be helpful in simplifying the many differences between the various MBA programs. Each week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

This week, Forbes released its 2014 ranking of the richest people on the planet, totaling 1,645 billionaires—up 268 over 2013’s tally. The list represents an aggregate net worth of $6.4 trillion, with the United States dominating the rankings. “Thanks to the tech boom, and strong stock market, the U.S. once again leads the world with 492 billionaires, followed by China with 152 and Russia with 111,” explains Forbes.

After losing his former first-place spot to Mexico’s Carlos Slim Helu, who has claimed it for the past four consecutive years, Microsoft co-founder and notable Harvard dropout Bill Gates once again tops the Forbes list as the world’s wealthiest person. In addition, women appear more prominently in the 2014 rankings than in past years, with a record 42 new female billionaires and a total of 172 women on this year’s list, up from 138 in 2013.

But just how many prominent billionaires hold MBAs? Among the 50 wealthiest individuals in the world, we counted six business school alumni, half of whom graduated from HBS. Two of these six billionaires were also women, perhaps reflecting the broader uptick in female representation in the rankings.

Forbes 2014 Ranking
Billionaire MBA
Alma Mater

Michael Bloomberg
Harvard Business School

Forrest Mars, Jr.
NYU Stern

Len Blavatnik
Harvard Business School

Phil Knight
Stanford GSB

Susanne Klatten
IMD Lausanne

Abigail Johnson
Harvard Business School

Send PM
Friday Factoid: Charlottesville Living at UVA Darden [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Charlottesville Living at UVA Darden
“Amazingly addictive” is one student’s description of Charlottesville, Virginia, home of the University of Virginia’s Darden School. With a mix of city attractions that include fine arts and celebrity chef–owned restaurants, the feel of suburban living and easy-to-reach outdoor activities such as hiking, bird watching and even skiing—not to mention a low cost of living and a dollop of historical appeal—Charlottesville has it all. “Living in Charlottesville is a delight,” remarked another student. “The city is a particularly good place to raise children because of the scenery, the quality of life and the cost of living.” Darden students tend to feel that while a big city offers many activities that can pull students outward, in a smaller community, students end up spending more time together, thus establishing deeper bonds and creating interactions with special character and depth.

Most of the business school’s students choose to live in two complexes located only minutes (if not seconds) from campus, but even those who elect to live downtown instead are never more than ten minutes away, and that is in the worst of traffic. According to those mbaMission interviewed, many Darden students have cars, but they use them more for going shopping or into downtown Charlottesville than for commuting to class. The University of Virginia has a free, comprehensive bus system that runs in a loop around campus and also makes stops at nearby shopping areas.

For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Darden or one of 15 other top business schools, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Use Anecdotes [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Use Anecdotes
Many business school candidates choose to take a straightforward, historical approach in their personal statements. This can be an easy way to organize an essay, but it may also lead candidates to ignore possibilities for a more focused and gripping introduction. Although nothing is fundamentally wrong with taking a historical approach, under certain circumstances, an anecdotal approach can better maintain the reader’s interest. (This all comes down to execution, of course!)

Example 1: Historical

“When I graduated from NYU with a finance degree, I eschewed Wall Street and pursued my own distinct path; I opened a flower shop in midtown New York, never imagining the challenges I would face as I strived to bring in new customers and locate products around the world. With time, I learned to advertise selectively (on billboards in local office buildings) and developed relationships with suppliers, particularly one in Peru, with whom I obtained an exclusive on Heliconia flowers. After one year, we started to specialize in foreign flowers and, with a niche identified, we developed a strong client base. My firm stabilized, and I was no longer bleeding cash to support my 11 employees; we were cash-flow neutral and contemplating a new location.”

This introduction, which is historical in nature, is very direct and informative but involves almost no drama or emotion. To be more effective, the writer might instead consider positioning him/herself as “the hero” and drawing the reader in with some anecdotal tension.

Example 2: Anecdotal

“My hand quivered as I signed the lease for 1,000 square feet of retail space in midtown New York. Two months later, I threw open the doors to my flower shop and was stunned when I did not make a sale until my third day. Admittedly, I began to question the wisdom of entrepreneurship and wondered if I should have joined my peers from NYU’s finance program as an analyst on Wall Street instead. However, each day, a trickle of customers came in, and more often than not, they commented on the colorful and rare flowers in my window, like the Peruvian Heliconia, exclusive to my shop. Within weeks, I had core customers picking up scheduled orders and referring friends; I bolstered this ‘word of mouth’ with select advertising on electronic billboards in the four 50-story office towers surrounding the shop. Soon, I noticed a surge of customers and was no longer bleeding cash. After one year, we were cash-flow neutral, and I was even contemplating opening another location.”

In this version, the same information is conveyed, but the tension inherent in the “quivering hand” and the empty store acts as a “hook” that draws the reader in. By taking this more personal, emotional and indeed anecdotal approach, the writer allows the reader to identify with his/her struggle and thus maintains the reader’s interest.

Again, this is not a case of right or wrong. Each MBA candidate should decide what works best in his/her own essays.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Leveraging Financial Aid [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Leveraging Financial Aid
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

Oh the difference a day makes. One day, you are on the outside, wondering whether you will ever get into any of your target schools. Then, the next day, you get a call from the MBA admissions committee at your first-choice B-school, and your life changes forever. Suddenly, with an acceptance letter in hand, you become more self-assured and start to contemplate whether you will receive scholarships. Then, your second-choice school calls and offers you $10K. You now find yourself facing a tough choice: accepting the offer from the second-choice school that comes with a scholarship or the offer from the first-choice program, even though it does not come with any funds.

In the short term, you do not need to make this choice. With acceptance letters in hand, you can diplomatically leverage the financial aid offer you received from your second-choice school to influence the decision at your first. Once you have been accepted, your first choice just might not be prepared to let you go. Of course, diplomacy is key. If you make your request in too forceful a manner, you will only alienate the financial aid office, which may then decide to not offer additional resources to encourage you to choose the other school.

So tread carefully, but you will not lose anything by asking for more.
Send PM
MBA News: Sponsorships Terms Optional for Confident MBAs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Sponsorships Terms Optional for Confident MBAs
A full ride to business school and the guarantee of a job after graduation sounds like a sweet deal—though, it can also mean limiting your options. As The Wall Street Journal explains, MBAs are increasingly opting to pay their way out of corporate sponsorship agreements in favor of pursing other job prospects amidst an improving market. Many are risking additional debt in hopes of finding more satisfying opportunities or higher pay.

Degree sponsorship, which promises either tuition payment or reimbursement, requires employees to commit to a term of post-graduation employment, usually two years. MBAs who break this agreement end up repaying the tuition assistance, with interest, to the sponsoring firm—which can in many cases accrue to more than $100K.

“The choice of what you do after business school should be based on what you want to do long term, rather than short-term economics,” advised one second-year HBS student who borrowed $90K to pay his way out of an employment agreement with Boston Consulting Group in favor of a position with a private-equity firm. Others, The Wall Street Journal reports, are trying their hand at entrepreneurial ventures. As career possibilities brighten, more students are viewing the employment terms of these sponsorships as an “option” more than an “obligation.”
Send PM
Dean Profiles: William Boulding, Duke University’s Fuqua Sch [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Dean Profiles: William Boulding, Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business
Business school deans are more than administrative figureheads. Their character and leadership is often reflective of an MBA program’s unique culture and sense of community. Each month, we will be profiling the dean of a top-ranking program. Today, we focus on William Boulding from the Fuqua School of Business.

In August 2011, William (Bill) Boulding replaced Blair Sheppard as dean of the Fuqua School of Business. Boulding began teaching at Fuqua in 1984 and served as deputy dean of Fuqua School of Business before being appointed to a shortened two-year term (a full term is five years) upon Sheppard’s departure. Boulding was then recommended by an international search committee in February 2013 to continue his deanship for a further five years. Boulding has received several distinctions for his teaching in the areas of management, marketing, and strategy, including the school’s 1989 Outstanding Teacher Award and the 1997 Bank of America Faculty award. A member of the search committee stated in a February 2013 article in Duke’s student newspaper, The Chronicle, that Boulding’s vision for the school will “address globalization with more innovation and modernization in the classrooms, while also focusing on stabilizing the school’s budget.” Another search committee member noted in the article that Boulding “has the whole package, plus he knows Fuqua and Duke intimately.”

In a July 2012 Forbes interview, Boulding described the type of students that attend Fuqua by highlighting the collaborative principles encompassed by “Team Fuqua,” saying, “Increasingly, so called ‘leaders’ seem to fight for narrow self-interest around issues and ideas. At the same time, more than ever before, answers to problems, solutions to challenges, innovation and the creation of value comes through collaboration and co-creation. … Our students have a burning ambition to make a difference in the lives of others.” Boulding also explained in a February 2013 interview with Bloomberg Businessweek the high rate of success for recent Fuqua graduates in finding jobs: “The reason they’re [companies are] hiring Fuqua students comes back to what we produce and who we attract, and that’s people who understand how to co-create and take advantage of a team’s potential. It’s people who are personally humble, tremendously ambitious, and have no sense of entitlement.”

For more information about Fuqua and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Webinar Series: Five Steps to Business School Acceptance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Webinar Series: Five Steps to Business School Acceptance
Are you ready for the 2014–2015 MBA application season?

Join mbaMission, Manhattan Prep and Poets & Quants for a free, five-part webinar series to help you prepare!

Three leaders in the MBA admissions space—Poets & Quants, mbaMission and Manhattan Prep—are banding together to ensure that you will be ready for the 2014–2015 MBA admissions season. Together, we are launching a free, five-part webinar series entitled “Five Steps to Business School Acceptance”! In each of the first four sessions, a senior consultant from mbaMission will address and explain a different significant admissions issue, while Poets & Quants’ John Byrne serves as host, moderating any questions and answers. Then, an expert from Manhattan Prep will present a challenging GMAT issue, offering insight, advice and more. The fifth and final session consists of a discussion panel with current admissions officers, sharing their thoughts and answering questions about the upcoming admissions season.

We hope you will join us for this special series. Please sign up for each session separately via the links below—space is limited.

Session 1: March 19, 2014 - Assessing Your MBA Profile and GMAT vs. GRE

Session 2: April 2, 2014 - Choosing the Right B-School and Advanced Quant

Session 3: April 16, 2014 - What Can I Do with My MBA? and Getting the Most Out of Your Practice GMAT Exams

Session 4: April 30, 2014 - Essay Writing Workshop and Advanced Sentence Correction

Session 5: May 14, 2014 - Questions and Answers with MBA Admissions Officers

Do you have questions for our GMAT and MBA admissions experts? Ask them in the comments below, and we will do our best to answer them in the Q&A sessions following each presentation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The mbaMission Blog [#permalink]
Nice blog ! I wasn't aware....
Send PM
MBA News: U.S. News & World Report Announces Best Business S [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: U.S. News & World Report Announces Best Business Schools of 2015
The “2015 Best Graduate Schools” ranking has been released by U.S. News & World Report this week—and with them, rankings of the nation’s top MBA programs. The number one spot among business schools is a surprising… three-way tie between HBS, Stanford GSB and Wharton, the latter of which climbed up from third place last year (2014). Chicago Booth also made some gains, from sixth place to fourth, pushing Sloan and Kellogg—which tied for fourth last year—down to fifth and sixth place, respectively. The most dramatic change reportedly came from the University of Cincinnati’s Lindner College of Business, which jumped from 99 to a three-way tie for 60th place. Look out HBS, Lindner is coming for you…

1. [tie] Harvard University

1. [tie] Stanford University

1. [tie] University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)

4. University of Chicago (Booth)

5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)

6. Northwestern University (Kellogg)

7. University of California—Berkeley (Haas)

8. Columbia University

9. Dartmouth College (Tuck)

10. New York University (Stern)

11. University of Michigan—Ann Arbor (Ross)

11. University of Virginia (Darden)

13. Yale University

14. Duke University (Fuqua)

15. University of Texas—Austin (McCombs)

16. University of California—Los Angeles (Anderson)

17. Cornell University (Johnson)

18. Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper)

19. University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)

20. Emory University (Goizueta)

Although such quantitative measures carry an undeniable allure for applicants in differentiating between programs, we would be quick to emphasize that rankings are no substitute for a thorough understanding of what each school actually has to offer in the way of curricular strengths, student culture and overall fit. We encourage applicants to base their decision on more in-depth information about their target programs, such as can be found in our Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: From Philly to Florida for Wharton [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: From Philly to Florida for Wharton’s Beach Week
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

In the spring, between finals and graduation, second-year students at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania prepare to reenter the “real” world by retreating to South Beach in Miami, Florida, where they partake in almost a week’s worth of organized partying, relaxing and beach-going. The week’s events are organized, but not funded, by the Wharton Graduate Association (student association). In recent years, more than 400 students have taken part in Beach Week.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Wharton and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Studying Health Enterprise Management at Kel [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Studying Health Enterprise Management at Kellogg
An often unsung program at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management is the school’s Health Enterprise Management program, and a “star” within this program is the Global Health Initiative (GHI)—co-founded by Kellogg professor Daniel Diermeier, with several students in leadership and advisory roles—in which academics, students, corporations and nonprofits create products that solve medical problems around the world. As evidence of the program’s profile, in 2006, the GHI received a $4.9 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop diagnostic devices capable of identifying the HIV virus.

Another impressive experiential offering is the multidisciplinary “Medical Innovation” class, which brings together industry leaders, top faculty members and students from several of Northwestern’s graduate schools (Law, Engineering, Medicine and Business). During this two-term course, students experience the “entire innovation life cycle” from a variety of perspectives: scientific, legal and entrepreneurial/managerial. Students even shadow surgeons and observe clinicians to facilitate their own brainstorming sessions for an innovative product—an actual product is created and presented to potential investors. Clearly, Kellogg provides students interested in health care with an opportunity to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty (and then sanitize them after, of course).
Send PM
MBA News: Business School Professors Rank the 15 Best Seed A [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Business School Professors Rank the 15 Best Seed Accelerators
Amidst the buzz about tech innovation and start-up ideas that typically accompanies Austin’s SXSW festival, a pair of business school professors have announced their annual ranking of the nation’s top 15 business accelerators, TechCrunch reports. Yael Hochberg, an MIT Sloan professor, and Susan Cohen, a professor at the University of Richmond Robins School of Business and fellow at UVA Darden’s Batten Institute, compiled data for the 2013 rankings using CrunchBase. The researchers divided the accelerators into Gold, Silver and Bronze categories, based on a number of factors measuring the success of their portfolios —including valuations of portfolio companies, number of exits, and the overall quality of the experience for both investors and entrepreneurs. As entrepreneurs vie for start-up funding, accelerators such as Y Combinator, TechStars and AngelPad—which dominate the ranking’s Gold category—have become vital resources for early-stage ventures to seek out seed capital, workspace and professional services and mentoring in exchange for a share of the company’s equity.

The 2013 Top 15 Accelerators:

1. Y Combinator (Gold)

2. TechStars (Gold)

3. AngelPad (Gold)

4. Mucker Lab (Silver)

5. Launchpad LA (Silver)

6. [tie] AlphaLab (Silver)

6. [tie] Capital Innovators (Silver)

8. Tech Wildcatters (Silver)

9. Surge (Silver)

10. The Brandery (Silver)

11. BetaSpring (Bronze)

12. [tie] BoomStartup (Bronze)

12. [tie] Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator (Bronze)

12. [tie] JumpStart Foundery (Bronze)

15. Dreamit (Bronze)
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts