Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Yale or Wharton?? [#permalink]
Tough decision. You hit some good points: 1) Career wise Wharton beats Yale in marketing/strategy in Tech. 2) you enjoy the people at Yale more.

One thing I would suggest is to talk with Alumni from both schools who have graduated recently. Also speak with current students. I know at Wharton, the Dean of Student Life, Dr. Kembrel Jones, has done an amazing job changing the culture and student experience. Recruiters have noticed that Wharton students are more collaborative and less cocky than they have been in the past.

Even though you say you aren't concerned about rankings or brand, it sounds like you actually do care on some level. That's not a bad thing, and maybe when you were deciding which schools to apply to brand was not a criteria, but now that you are in, I would reevaluate what you want to get out of a program.

Try going to local happy hours to meet new admits to see if you like the student body.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
Tough decision. You hit some good points: 1) Career wise Wharton beats Yale in marketing/strategy in Tech. 2) you enjoy the people at Yale more.

One thing I would suggest is to talk with Alumni from both schools who have graduated recently. Also speak with current students. I know at Wharton, the Dean of Student Life, Dr. Kembrel Jones, has done an amazing job changing the culture and student experience. Recruiters have noticed that Wharton students are more collaborative and less cocky than they have been in the past.

Even though you say you aren't concerned about rankings or brand, it sounds like you actually do care on some level. That's not a bad thing, and maybe when you were deciding which schools to apply to brand was not a criteria, but now that you are in, I would reevaluate what you want to get out of a program.

Try going to local happy hours to meet new admits to see if you like the student body.

Good luck!

Interesting info, thanks!!

I care about brands, not rankings to be precise, you caught me
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I am all about going to a place where your heart is. Yes, Wharton is ranked much higher than Yale, but at the end of day, they both are top notch schools and attract similar type of recruiters, unless you are talking PE/HFs. Also, based on my interactions, I found students at Wharton much more accomplished than ones at Yale, so there could be a possibility of you standing out at Yale during recruiting.

When I was withdrawing from Tuck & Yale, all my friends thought that I was crazy, but at the end of day, I felt that I would be much more proud of being a Dukie than a Yallie or Tuckie.

And Yes, Yale's bumper sticker on your car would look so cool :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Interesting school choices given your career goals and desire for a great experience. Would have though Haas and Sloan would have been obvious schools to apply to. Either way, congrats on your admits!

The most obvious part of the answer is this: both schools can get you into Tech on the west coast. Because of that, if you have a strong feeling towards one or the other for less tangible reasons, then you should not hesitate to go there.

Beyond that, I would personally go to Wharton. My belief is that Wharton's reputation in the business world is simply stronger. There are likely multiple execs at every interesting tech company from Wharton, as a result of it’s strong placement, longer history, and just generally larger class.

Moreover, not only do a much larger number of Wharton students start their own business (59 to 10), but also a significantly greater percentage (7.5% to 4%) of the class does. That means that you will be surrounded by more people with similar ideas and interests, and more opportunities to get involved on the ground floor with a start-up, if that’s what you desire. Plus, it simply means more likelihood that people in your network will have a cool business in a few years (or that alumni from a few years ago will have a cool business for you to join now). Finally, the bonus of the semester in San Fran is huge.

If you’re not sure about the students or experience though, then I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Then again, I know a number of Wharton students/grads, and none of them have described it as depressing.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
bgp2587 wrote:
Interesting school choices given your career goals and desire for a great experience. Would have though Haas and Sloan would have been obvious schools to apply to. Either way, congrats on your admits!

The most obvious part of the answer is this: both schools can get you into Tech on the west coast. Because of that, if you have a strong feeling towards one or the other for less tangible reasons, then you should not hesitate to go there.

Beyond that, I would personally go to Wharton. My belief is that Wharton's reputation in the business world is simply stronger. There are likely multiple execs at every interesting tech company from Wharton, as a result of it’s strong placement, longer history, and just generally larger class.

Moreover, not only do a much larger number of Wharton students start their own business (59 to 10), but also a significantly greater percentage (7.5% to 4%) of the class does. That means that you will be surrounded by more people with similar ideas and interests, and more opportunities to get involved on the ground floor with a start-up, if that’s what you desire. Plus, it simply means more likelihood that people in your network will have a cool business in a few years (or that alumni from a few years ago will have a cool business for you to join now). Finally, the bonus of the semester in San Fran is huge.

If you’re not sure about the students or experience though, then I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Then again, I know a number of Wharton students/grads, and none of them have described it as depressing.

Originally posted by coffeetalk on 27 Mar 2014, 20:51.
Last edited by coffeetalk on 28 Mar 2014, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
marbarstar wrote:
bgp2587 wrote:

Oh, boys and gents, or whatever gender you are -- I have a sibling that went to Yale SOM. Yup. And guess what? The majority in the class got crap-ass jobs. Oh yes. Some went to the job they had prior to starting at the school. Majority took a position that they were overqualified for in NYC just to be in NYC. Sure, now, 5 years later, they are finally where they should have been 5 years ago. Would you like to know my point? All IVY, no walkie. Keep working on making that school top 10, dean, because you got a lot of work to do. Keep attracting people just because you're any IVY cause that's all you got. And when you graduate from there, that's all you get. A brand on your resume. Enjoy! You get to brag to all your friends that you went to Yale. Woohoo! What are you doing now? Oh...unemployed? Interning at a cosmetics place? Oh, you're waiting for the right opportunity cause you're a leader in "business and society"? I've worked with one, and trust me, ain't no leader in business and society there...So keep your fantasies up. Some will be the CEOs at the next popular iPhone app, and others will be still figuring out what that MBA was supposed to help them out with...while they figure out how to get out of debt.

Why did you apply to Yale if it's so bad?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
This may be too late at this point. But I hope you made the right decision and decided to attend Wharton.

I'm surprised you even wrote that it could be "depressing" here -- that's just preposterous. There are 800+ students here, so you'll most certainly find the right group of people to hang out with and will walk out of here with great friends. You can join the hockey team, rugby team, soccer team, basketball, be a leadership venture fellow, a student life fellow, enjoy small group dinners and BYOs with the food club, do wine tastings at the wine club, scotch club, go get you butt kicked at the Marines bootcamp in Quantico or with the FDNY (fire fighters), climb Kilimanjaro or Cotopaxi, trek in Antarctica or the Alaskan glaciers, spend a semester in SF, start a company, sing and dance in the Follies and the Dance Show, box in Fight Night against Penn Law, spend a week on the beach in South Beach Miami right before graduation with 500+ fellow classmates, or ski in Park City or Breckenridge with 1,000 classmates, participate in over like 30 great theme parties (like White Party, Walnut Walk, etc), or just travel the world with your small group of best friends. I mean there are tons of stuff to do here. You will not be bored. I loved it. Best experience thus far. I don't know anyone who went here who hated it or found it slightly "depressing". (And I'm not even talking about getting great jobs and the 80,000+ alums). Plus Philly today has an amazing food scene with BYOs and probably a top 3 (or the top) microbrewery scene, so it's a great place to live. I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I am currently in the exact same situation. Yale or Wharton??

I would love to hear what you chose and your reasons! Those reasons could help me as well.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72894 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chris3 wrote:
I am currently in the exact same situation. Yale or Wharton??

I would love to hear what you chose and your reasons! Those reasons could help me as well.

Thanks!

Did you get a scholarship at Yale?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Yes. $30,000 per year at Yale. No scholarship at Wharton.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts