Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBA News: Videos, Personal Expression Essays Change the Admissions Lan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Videos, Personal Expression Essays Change the Admissions Landscape
Your application materials provide B-school admissions offices with their initial impression of you as a potential student, professional, alumnus/alumna, and leader. Given the quality of the applicant pool at programs such as the Yale School of Management (SOM), stellar GMAT scores and flawless undergrad GPAs are simply not enough to set candidates apart. Program leaders want future MBAs who will serve as successful, impressive, and interesting representatives of their schools. To get a better feel for applicants as distinct individuals, many schools are implementing new and innovative submission requirements.

Video Essay Questions

The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management was the first program to introduce video essay questions—with Yale SOM and Kellogg quickly following suit. Rotman’s director of MBA recruitment stated the following in an admissions blog post: “We are hoping to take a big leap away from the essay writing contest that has become the norm in the MBA admissions world.”

Personal Expression Essays

NYU’s Stern School of Business offers prospective students the opportunity to showcase their individuality through a personal expression essay. Rather than writing a certain number of words on a specific topic, applicants can use virtually any medium to display their skills, background, and potential. Accepted students have submitted illustrations, videos, paintings, audio files, and even cook books.

Wherever you apply, representing yourself as both a captivating individual and a talented professional is key. To learn more about how to position yourself for acceptance, check out our mbaMission Interview Guides.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose which business school to attend, but the educational experience itself is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Bruce Greenwald from Columbia Business School.

Bruce Greenwald
has been a fixture at Columbia Business School (CBS) since the early 1990s and up until recent years taught the highly demanded “Economics of Strategic Behavior” course in the full-time MBA program (he continues to teach this course in the EMBA program). Students in the school’s Value Investing Program are primarily the ones who get to enjoy his classes, and those with whom mbaMission spoke espoused enthusiasm for Greenwald’s intense depth of knowledge and his connections to top-notch guest speakers, which he brings to campus to address his students. On the CBS Peer Course Review site, a former student of Greenwald’s sums up the instructor’s popularity by stating, “Greenwald has the ability to make something complex seem simple and easy to understand.”
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: MIT Sloan Student Senate [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: MIT Sloan Student Senate
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also making a commitment to a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Student activities at MIT Sloan are loosely overseen by the Sloan Student Senate, an elected group of approximately 48 students (24 per class year) that works with Sloan administration to improve the program and the school, in addition to organizing much of the activity on campus. The group is divided into formal subcommittees: Academic, Activities, Admissions, Alumni Relations, Communication, Facilities, and Information Technology. Informal committees usually form within the Sloan Student Senate each year on topics from professional standards to career development, depending on student interest.

For more information on MIT Sloan or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Core Values at Boston College’s Carroll School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Core Values at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

First years at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management begin their MBA experience within a cohort of just 100 students, enjoying a close-knit classroom environment in which they gain exposure to broad management skills, with a particular emphasis on business ethics. Both the curriculum and the student community at the school engender a set of core values: “honesty and integrity,” “mutual respect,” “pursuit of excellence,” and “personal accountability.” In addition to completing a first-year project on corporate social responsibility, a hands-on consulting project, and a second-year team business plan project, students at the Carroll School must complete at least 20 hours of community service, which the school requires to help instill an appreciation for and spirit of community service in its MBAs.

These values are also reflected in the school’s core Management Practice course sequence—taken throughout the first year and into the first semester of the second year—in which students learn to think critically about the challenges involved in business leadership. As one recent graduate commented in Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2012 profile of the Carroll School, “In the background of your core classes, and many electives, is a strong consideration on the moral and ethical dilemmas that often arise in the business world. I never felt that ‘morality’ was being pushed on us, but the consequences of each decision we make were always placed in front of us and we were left to make up our own mind.”
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Stanford GSB’s LEED Certified Facilities [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Stanford GSB’s LEED Certified Facilities
Thanks in part to a $105M gift from Nike founder and chairman Phil Knight (MBA ’62), the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) has constructed a new $350M campus in recent years. The 360,000 square foot campus of the Knight Management Center, which opened in April 2011, expanded the school’s existing campus footprint by 100,000 square feet. The extended campus is intended to allow the use of a wider variety of teaching methods and to increase interaction among students and faculty, including those from other Stanford University schools. Forty-two small classrooms, 7 large classrooms, 276 seats in the auditorium and 60 faculty offices were added.

The Knight Center is a green, environmentally friendly building, boasting state-of-the-art technology. Each classroom has three screens and dormant cameras for computer presentations, as well as plenty of natural light (in contrast to many of the previous lecture halls, which were windowless). With an eye toward preserving green space, the 870-space parking lot was built underground. The school is employing sustainable practices with respect to site development and the conservative use of water and energy, and in early 2012 was awarded LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certification—the highest level of LEED certification granted by the U.S. Green Building Council—in recognition of the campus’s minimal environmental impact.

To learn more about the Knight Center and the official launch, check out these slideshows and videos.

For more information on the Stanford GSB or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA News: Will Taking Time Off Diminish Your Acceptance Chances? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Will Taking Time Off Diminish Your Acceptance Chances?
According to Gerald Bradshaw—who attended Harvard Law School and spent more than 15 years screening Harvard College applicants as an alumnus admissions interviewer—taking time off between completing your undergraduate studies and applying to a graduate program might actually improve your B-school acceptance odds.

In a recent article for the Chicago Sun-Times’ Post-Tribune, Bradshaw responds to a question from a worried college student who wanted to know if taking a break from undergraduate studies would negatively affect his/her odds of later being accepted to graduate school.

Bradshaw states that taking time off in this way should pose no problem for those who wish to apply to top business or law schools at some point in the future. He goes on to explain that a hiatus can even work to the advantage of an MBA hopeful.

Program leaders prefer applicants with measurable real-world and professional experience, and Bradshaw notes, “Most top law and MBA programs prefer students to have a few years of life experience behind them.” If you do take time off from your studies, be sure to highlight what you did during this time in your resume, essays, and/or other portions of your application. Experiences such as military service, on-the-job training, apprenticeships, charity work, and travel can help you present yourself as a well-rounded and captivating prospect.

Bradshaw reminds readers that students who take time off are subject to the same acceptance criteria as candidates who apply immediately after graduating from their undergrad institution. An individual still needs a stellar GPA, strong test scores, and compelling application materials to compete with other top program applicants.
Send PM
Our Favorite Advice from MBA Admissions Directors, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Our Favorite Advice from MBA Admissions Directors, Part 1
At mbaMission, we constantly strive to learn more about what makes a successful application and what the leading schools want—and do not want—from prospective students. To accomplish this, we communicate regularly with admissions directors at the top MBA programs, and in this two-part blog series, we want to share with you some of our favorite advice we have collected from these experts over the past few application seasons.

Kurt Ahlm, Associate Dean for Student Recruitment and Admissions at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business

“Take time to thoroughly think through your objectives for business school. Why do you want an MBA? What skills or experiences do you hope to gain? How do you prefer to learn? How do all of these things put you in a better position to accomplish your short- and long-term goals? These are just some of the questions I push people to consider as they begin their application preparation. The more focused and on point an applicant is, the more compelling their application will be and the more prepared they will be to successfully start an MBA program. A two-year MBA program moves quickly, regardless where you go, and if you have not fully vetted your reasons for being at that school, you can fall behind pretty quickly. The more thinking and planning you do on the front end, the greater overall success you will have throughout the entire MBA experience.”

Amanda Carlson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at Columbia Business School

“You should still prepare [for your admissions interview] as you would for a professional interview. Reread your application. The admissions committee is of course going to look for consistency in your story. It should not come as a surprise to anybody that if a person who’s interviewing says, ‘Well, I’d like to go into health care’ to the interviewer but said, ‘I want to go into real estate development’ in their application, that’s clearly going to be something that gets our minds percolating.”

Dawna Clarke, Director of MBA Admissions at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth

“A successful interview, I find …, is when people don’t just make broad sweeping statements, but they have some really good, tangible examples of things that they’ve done. So if they say they have strong leadership potential, then they tell a story to illustrate that, or if they identify themselves as being a strong team player, then they would tell us a story, an anecdote, or a vignette that illustrates that they are a team player. It’s very hard if you interview a lot of people, you’re not going to remember that so-and-so said that they were a strong team player, but I very well might remember a very compelling story that somebody told me. So I would tell people to really identify what are the three things that you’re most proud of that you think are relevant to business school, and how am I going to convey those in the interview, and what kind of specific examples do I have to tell that would be memorable and compelling?”

Dustin Cornwell, Director of MBA Admissions at the Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University

“What we like to see is applicants who are focused on why they’re pursuing an MBA. They have a career goal in mind, and they’ve done their research enough about our program to know that we’re able to help them in achieving that goal. Many candidates don’t know exactly what they want to do. They know they need to get an MBA to gain more experience, perhaps, or if they’re switching careers from marketing into finance or vice versa, for example, that’s a good reason to get an MBA. And I always encourage candidates, when I’m talking to them on the road and at recruiting events, to take that next step further. Okay, now you’ve identified why you need an MBA, what do you want to do with that? How are you going to make that transition? If you are making a rather dramatic career switch from one industry to another, think about the skill set that you have, be ready to talk to recruiters about how you can transfer what you’ve done to that new position…. There are all these different areas, and students may not have had exposure to all of them yet, so the MBA program certainly can open their eyes to opportunities. But I think you have to come in with some direction. You have to have some idea of where it is you want to go, because we can’t start from square one. You need to have at least walked down that path a little and meet us halfway so we can help you get where you’re going.”

Isser Gallogly, Assistant Dean of MBA Admissions at the Stern School of Business at New York University

“When you look at the three areas—the academic, the professional, and the personal—you don’t want to give an admissions officer a reason to say no. You want them to look at everything and say, ‘Wow, this looks great across the board.’ … Obviously for undergraduate [GPA], there is only so much you can do, and it’s usually too late, but with the GMAT, we only look at someone’s best scores. So if your score is not reflective of your ability, then retake it. Retake it several times. Put yourself in the best position to demonstrate academic ability. In the application itself, when you’re talking about résumés and things like that, again, people should really try to highlight what they have achieved and quantify those results. Answer questions that may be out there, and if you have been unemployed, take the time to explain what happened and what you were doing in that time. Don’t just leave us guessing. … Help us understand.”

Rodrigo Malta, Director of MBA Admissions at the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas, Austin

“Treat the interview professionally, no matter if it is done by a student, an admissions officer, or an alumnus of the program. I think it’s really important to prepare questions for the end, because after all, the interview is a two-way street. We’re getting to know the applicant a little bit better, but we also expect that this is an opportunity for the applicant to get to know us as well. So, I would advise them to prepare some good questions that can’t usually be found on the Web site.”

Soojin Kwon, Director of Admissions at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan

“We highly encourage prospective students to visit and sit in on a class, get a feel for the class dynamics—with the professor, with each other—walk around the campus and get a feel for the culture. Visits can help applicants make informed decisions about which school to apply to and ultimately attend, because they’ll get better sense of fit. Some schools are going to be a better fit based on someone’s personality and goals, and you can’t really make that determination based on view books or Web sites or rankings. You really need to experience it firsthand. That said, we understand that applicants’ budgets and schedules are tight, and it may be tough for prospective students to visit all the schools they’re considering. At a minimum, prospective students should talk to current students and alumni at each school.”

Niki da Silva, Director of MBA Recruitment and Admissions at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management

“If they do [not know what they want to do after graduating], they should not be investing a hundred thousand dollars in an MBA program until they figure it out a little bit. But … lots of people, even the ones who think 100%, ‘I know exactly what I want to do’ will come in, and they’ll have an experience that changes their mind. They’ll shift. So what we really look for is, do they have an understanding of what they’re great at, what they want to do, what they’re passionate about doing? Can they articulate that? Do they seem flexible? Are they coachable? Are they resilient? Because even if you know that you want to be a strategy consultant at McKinsey [& Company],  … you might not land there for your first job out of the MBA program. And we want to ensure we’re admitting people who are still going to feel like they had a good experience and are open to coaching, to other options, to working really hard. If they don’t get that summer internship, are they going to come back and try again, or are they just going to kind of give up and feel like they’re entitled to a specific role …?”

Sara Neher, Assistant Dean of MBA Admissions at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia

“One of the mistakes people make is regurgitating the Web site back to us. You telling me that you want to take so-and-so’s class or the case method is important because of what we put on our Web site is just a waste of your word count. It shows me that you can read our Web site, but it doesn’t show me anything about who you are. Really spend that time with personal examples, incidents, specific stories that you think tell me something about yourself that would make you a fit for the case method. For example, something about presenting at a board meeting and the questions you were asked and how you had to manage that on your feet and what kind of preparation you had to do beforehand—that would completely tell me that you could accomplish the case method, right? But it doesn’t tell me exactly what I already know about the case method that I’ve told you on the Web site. Really personal examples from the workplace or from an activity, that’s how you can convey that the best. The best essays are always about a moment in time and not a laundry list or a chronology of everything you’ve ever done.”

Bruce DelMonico, Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions at the Yale School of Management

“We ask applicants to tell us what they want to do after they get their MBA, and a lot of times we get applicants who want to do something different than what they’re doing now, and that’s perfectly understandable. A lot of people use an MBA to make a career shift. But one thing, one red flag that will often raise, is if we see someone who wants to make a career shift to an area that they don’t really have any experience in or any exposure to. If you’re making a career shift, you’re necessarily not in that area now, so we don’t expect that someone will have work experience in a certain area—but they should at least have some exposure, whether it’s an activity or some volunteer work, to that area so that they can have some sense of what they’re getting into and have a bit of an idea to get from where they are now to where they want to go.”
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Getting Personal, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Getting Personal, Part 1
In this weekly series, our friends at MBA Career Coaches will be dispensing invaluable advice to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. For more information or to sign up for a free career consultation, visit www.mbacareercoaches.com.

Some people worry that a personal section on their resume might seem silly or even unprofessional. Nothing could be further from the truth – unless of course you make your personal section silly and unprofessional. We strongly recommend that applicants seize the opportunity to add some personality to their resume and create a variety of opportunities to connect with their potential interviewers and employers in “softer” ways.

One applicant who we spoke to recently had organized a bike ride across the United States. Our first question to him was, “Does anybody ever start an interview with anything but your bike ride?” He laughed and said that that is where they all begin. Why? Well, we could all probably agree that it is a fascinating experience that we’d like to hear more about. That may be the starting point, but beyond sheer curiosity, interviewers can learn a lot about our characters from the commitments we take on in our free time – in this applicant’s case: leadership abilities, mental strength, and persistence. This individual’s experience enables him to break the proverbial ice quickly and on a subject he loves to talk about.

Now, you might not have ridden your bike across America. No one expects that you have. However, you do have interests. So, put a few of them on your resume and give someone an opportunity to connect with you – to like you – before you even enter the room.
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: Which Part of the MBA Application Process [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: Which Part of the MBA Application Process Is Hardest?
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes be helpful in simplifying the many differences between the various MBA programs. Each week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

We recently surveyed a number of visitors to our site to get a feel for the concerns, plans, and mind-sets of this season’s MBA applicants. Now the results are in, and for those who are curious about their fellow applicants’ views on business school, we will be sharing some of the collected data in our B-School Chart of the Week blog series.

One question we posed this year was “Which do you think is/will be the hardest part of the MBA application process?” Not surprisingly to us here at mbaMission, “essays” was the most common response, with 41.0% of survey participants indicating that this written component of the application would be the most challenging. However, this percentage was significantly lower than the 59.0% we saw last season when we asked this same question. The GMAT again stood out as the second most difficult application element, according to our respondents, 35.9% of whom selected it as their primary concern. This percentage was notably higher than the 19.4% we saw last year for this response. The remainder of our applicant responders noted that they expected to encounter difficulty with their recommendations (10.2%), choosing which schools to target (5.0%), interviewing (5.0%), and the short-answer portion of the application (2.5%).

Send PM
Professor Profiles: John Morgan, UC-Berkeley Haas School of Business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: John Morgan, UC-Berkeley Haas School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose which business school to attend, but the educational experience itself is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on John Morgan from the UC-Berkeley Haas School of Business.

John Morgan has been at UC-Berkeley Haas since 2002 and won the Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2006. In an admissions podcast (“Game Theory and Strategy”), Morgan discusses how he has grown his “Game Theory” course, which studies how nations and industries interact strategically with each other. Morgan recommends that all Haas MBA students take the course, which is designed to cover all functions and industries, in their last semester at the school so that they apply the “mind-set to think strategically” to what they have learned in the program. Resorting to the default name “Emily” for students who forget to bring their name card to class, Morgan expects the teams in his class to be ready to defend their strategies, but plenty of laughter is part of the course as well—as it reportedly is in all Morgan’s courses. An alumna even commented via Twitter in April 2012, “Loving John Morgan’s Disruptive Technologies seminar. Great comedic timing.” On Morgan’s personal Haas Web page, he includes a list of vocabulary words he calls “New Words for the New Millennium.”.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Good Ole Darden Days [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Good Ole Darden Days
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Typically held in May, Darden Days is a weekend of organized presentations and events on grounds and throughout Charlottesville for the school’s admitted students. The intensive weekend is meant to provide these candidates with an in-depth perspective on all aspects of Darden’s MBA program and community and with the basic information they will need if they decide to accept the school’s offer of admission. One second-year student we interviewed called Darden Days one of his “favorite events of the year” and described how for one event, prospective students, first years, and second years enjoyed a barbecue at a local vineyard with a bluegrass band, where they could all “hang out outside, mingle, and ask questions.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at UVA Darden and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Luxury Brand Marketing at the GCU British Schoo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Luxury Brand Marketing at the GCU British School of Fashion
In the fall of 2013, Scotland’s Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU)— known as a leader in fashion education since the 19th century—inaugurated a new fashion business school in London and soon after opened a satellite campus in New York City. Rather than focusing on the design aspect of fashion, however, the GCU British School of Fashion instead aims to offer a specialized business education with applications to the fashion industry, as the school’s director, Christopher Moore, explained in a Bloomberg Businessweek article at the time the new campuses were being revealed: “The remit of the School is clear: we are about the business of fashion. While there are other great international design schools, we are quite different. Our aim is to be a leading School for the business of fashion.”

The British School of Fashion’s MBA in Luxury Brand Marketing program aims to impart industry tools and skills related to such topics as consumer behavior, globalization, and strategic management. The school also professes a commitment to social responsibility, sustainability, and fair trade as part of its core values. The MBA curriculum consists of five core modules. With support from a number of British fashion brands, including Marks & Spencer, House of Fraser, AllSaints, and the Arcadia Group, the school’s faculty also features a team of honorary professors and fashion industry leaders. Moore told the BBC, “Over the past decade, there has been a significant professionalization of the fashion sector, and there is now a need for high-quality fashion business graduates.”
Send PM
Friday Factoid: MIT Sloan’s Application Review Process [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: MIT Sloan’s Application Review Process
How does MIT Sloan review applications? True to the rigorous analytic nature of its curriculum—in a rigorous analytic fashion! When the admissions office receives an application, the candidate’s information is loaded into a database and the application is printed. Rod Garcia, who has been MIT Sloan’s admissions director for the past decade, first reviews every application online, then distributes the applications randomly among the school’s admissions readers, all of whom are either internal admissions staff members or contract readers. After picking up a batch of applications, readers review, score, and then return them one week later. The scores are entered into the database, where Garcia reviews them to determine which candidates will be interviewed.

After the selected candidates have been interviewed, their applications are scored again, and the committee then decides which individuals to admit. Application scoring is based on nine attributes, which Sloan divides into two major groups: demonstrated success (e.g., GPA, GMAT, work accomplishments) and leadership (e.g., high competency in creativity, relationship building, goal setting, influencing). Each attribute group is scored separately, and the two scores are added together. At mbaMission, we always tell candidates that MBA admissions is not a science—yet at MIT Sloan, a little science comes into play after all…

For more information on MIT Sloan or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA News: Harvard Insider on Applying to B-School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Harvard Insider on Applying to B-School
As a frequent Forbes contributor, second-year Harvard Business School student Leslie Moser has authored countless articles related to B-school applications. In a recent one, she compiled what she called her “best advice” into an “ultimate guide” to graduate program admissions.

As both we here at mbaMission and you already know, applying to business school is a difficult and time-consuming process, but Moser stresses that you can significantly improve your dream school acceptance chances by following the right plan.

Moser’s full article provides more detail, but here is a summarized list of her recommended steps and techniques.

1. Take the GMAT

The GMAT is required for acceptance to almost every major graduate program. Moser encourages you to pick a date on which to take the test and stick to it.

2. Select Your Schools

Identify the schools to which you want to apply early, so you can study their admissions policies as thoroughly as possible before completing applications. You should also make sure the program you ultimately attend will help you attain the type of skills and career you desire. Consult the various schools’ employment reports for in-depth information on the kinds of career offers graduates have received.

3. Do Your Research

Research your dream schools. Learn about their requirements. Subscribe to their social media channels. Investigate the backgrounds of candidates who have been accepted into their programs. The more information you have about your prospects, the better.

4. Devote Time to Your Essays

Every business school requires applicants to complete some sort of essay. Moser advises MBA hopefuls to allocate plenty of time for this all-important step.

5. Prepare for Your Interview

Once you submit your application, begin preparing as thoroughly as possible for your interview.

6. Weigh Your Options

If you receive an acceptance offer from more than one school, take the time to fully consider the pros and cons of each program—especially as they pertain to your career and personal goals.

7. Get Ready for School

Congratulations! Address and complete all the necessary paperwork and to-do’s before year one begins.
Send PM
MBA News: Business Insider Lists Top 25 Most Diverse B-Schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Business Insider Lists Top 25 Most Diverse B-Schools
Throughout your career, you will encounter and collaborate with people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and locales. By attending a globally focused MBA program, you can gain valuable international sensitivity and communication skills.

In an article released this week, Business Insider ranked the top 25 business schools in the world based on diversity. GraduatePrograms.com conducted the study by analyzing the reviews of more than 70,000 current and former graduate students. Respondents rated their programs on several factors, including student body diversity and network quality. See the full list here, or peruse the top ten below:

• ESADE
  • Thunderbird School of Global Management
  • IE University
  • Purdue University – West Lafayette
  • John’s University
  • Duke University
  • California State University Northridge
  • Drexel University
  • London Business School
  • Rutgers University – New Brunswick
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Show That Your Long-Term Goals Are Attainabl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Show That Your Long-Term Goals Are Attainable
Many MBA candidates struggle to define their long-term goals. Although your short-term goals should be relatively specific, your long-term goals can be broad and ambitious. Regardless of what your short- and long-term aspirations actually are, what is most important is presenting a clear “cause and effect” relationship between them. The MBA admissions committee will have difficulty buying into a long-term goal that lacks grounding. However, do not interpret this to mean that you must declare your interest in an industry and then assert that you will stay in it for your entire career. You can present any career path that excites you—again, as long as you also demonstrate a logical path to achieving your goals.

For example, many candidates discuss having ambitions in the field of management consulting. Could an individual with such aspirations justify any of the following long-term goals?

A) Climbing the ladder and becoming a partner in a consulting firm

B) Launching a boutique consulting firm

C) Leaving consulting to manage a nonprofit

D) Leaving consulting to buy a failing manufacturing firm and forge a “turnaround”

E) Entering the management ranks of a major corporation

The answer is yes! This candidate could justify any of these long-term goals (along with many others), as long as he/she connects them to experiences gained via his/her career as a consultant. With regard to your goals, do not feel constrained—just be sure to emphasize and illustrate that your career objectives are logical, achievable and ambitious.
Send PM
MBA News: Beyoncé Case Study at Harvard [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Beyoncé Case Study at Harvard
Beyoncé certainly qualifies as a successful, global brand—so we were hardly surprised to learn that Harvard Business School (HBS) students are now studying her.

On December 13, 2013, Beyoncé changed the music world with the surprise iTunes release of a new self-titled album. Beyoncé—which contains 14 tracks and 17 videos—sold more than 600,000 copies in just the first three days. An album of this magnitude is incredibly time-consuming, requiring a large amount of planning and work, yet the singer and those close to her somehow managed to keep the huge undertaking a secret. Harvard Professor of Business Administration Anita Elberse teamed with HBS alumna Stacie Smith (MBA ’14) to develop a case study on the phenomenon.

The 27-page report explores Beyoncé’s early career, the founding of her company (Parkwood Entertainment), her role as a CEO, and the path that led her to drop a metaphorical bomb on the album release process. Elberse will use the case study as part of her Strategic Marketing in Creative Industries course. To learn more about the research, read the full Billboard article—or see the pre-study press release in the Harvard Gazette.
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts