Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619069 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.83
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: On Sunday morning, a printing press printed its newspapers at a consta [#permalink]
Correct me if im wrong

1. Was not sufficient. Talks about saturday, nothing about sunday.

2. 1 - 3, 3:30 - 5:30 = 4 HOURS, 4000 PAPERS, 1000 PAPERS PER HOUR.

TAKING BOTH STATEMENTS TOGETHER, The printing rate on Saturday was twice that of Sunday so 4000/2 = 2000.

So the answer is C. Both statements are sufficient to answer the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: On Sunday morning, a printing press printed its newspapers at a consta [#permalink]
Believe the answer is C.

(1) Gives a rate relative to another rate i.e. in terms of a ratio rather than a strict quantity: Insufficient

(2) Gives the strict rate in terms of Saturday: 4000 papers / 4 hrs. = 1000 papers / hr.

(1+2) Apply (2) to (1) we see that Sunday's rate is 1/2 Saturday's rate: Rate_Sun = 500 papers /hr. Then given that the press worked for three hours on Sunday, we conclude that the press printed 3 hrs * 500 papers/hr = 1500 papers on Sunday morning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Work/Rate.

On Sunday morning, a printing press printed its newspapers at a constant rate from 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM. How many newspapers did the printing press print on Sunday morning?

(1) The printing rate on Saturday morning was twice that of Sunday morning.
(2) On Saturday morning, the printing press ran at a constant rate from 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM, stopped for a half hour, and then ran at the same constant rate from 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM, printing a total of 4,000 newspapers.

1) insufficient as we don't know about the rate of printing press on Sunday morning.
2) insufficient as it doesn't provide any information for Sunday morning.

from 2) on Saturday morning the printing press ran for 4hrs (1:00 AM to 3:00 AM + 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM).
This tells us that in 4 hrs the printing press printed 4000 newspapers.
i.e. rate of printing press on Saturday morning : 4000/4=1000 newspapers/hour.

from 1) we know that the printing rate on Saturday morning was twice that of Sunday morning
i.e. rate of printing press on Sunday morning =(rate of printing press on Saturday morning)/2=1000/2=500 newspapers/hour.

As we know from the question stem that the printing press worked for 3hrs(1:00 AM to 4:00 AM) on Sunday morning
Therefore,On Sunday morning the printing press printed : 500*3 = 1500 newspapers. Sufficient.

Answer is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
PROMPT ANALYSIS

Rate of printing = total number of paper printed (N)/ time taken(T). Duration is given as 3 hours but we cannot assume it to be 3 hrs coz we do not have the exact value of the working hours. There could be a stoppage in between as well.

SUPER SET

The rate can be a positive number ranging from 0 to infinity.

TRANSLATION

In order to know the value of rate, we need exact value of N and T or any equation or relation that can lead us to find the value of N and T or rate also.

STATEMENT ANALYSIS

St 1: rate on saturday = rate on sunday x 2. NOT SUFFICIENT. Hence option a and d is eliminated.
St 2: rate on saturday = 4000/ ( 2+2) = 1000. NOT SUFFICIENT as it cannot help us to find the rate on sunday. Hence option a, b and d is eliminated.

ST 1 & ST 2: from statement 2 we know the rate on saturday. Putting the value in the equation in statement 1 we get
Rate on sunday = rate on saturday/2 = 1000/2 = 500. ANSWER

Hence option C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Thoughtosphere wrote:
This seemed to be a pretty straight forward question. There was one thing which bothered me -

On Saturday morning, the printing press ran at a constant rate from 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM, stopped for a half hour, and then ran at the same constant rate from 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM, printing a total of 4,000 newspapers.

There are two possibilities for second statement -

1. We don't consider the stopping time of 1/2 hr and calculate on the basis of 4000 papers in 4 hrs
2. If we consider the stopping time as something which reduced the productivity, the average productivity will decrease from 4000 papers/ 4hrs to 4000 papers / 4.5 hrs

Please Clarify

I have the same question. The answer is C either way, but would we count the extra half hour that the press took a break? I think that would count towards the total time. It's an inherent feature of the machine. There's no way it continues unless that break happens.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts