Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 12:39 It is currently 23 May 2024, 12:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Nero, Paaji...

I dont think my verbal (RC in particular) was spectacular to begin with... I was ranging 30-40 on the practice tests unlike math (48-51) which turned out to be consistent. Basically there was too much variance in my verbal than quant. Hence I don't think I was way too surprised... should have put in some more effort (a month more at least).

Paaji - I'm targetting Operations Management program. My background is manufacturing. I have 5+ yrs of manufacturing experience with a certain automobile company. The program I was targetting was LFM (MIT)... with UMich (TMI), Purdue and CMU the other choices.... Purdue and CMU look reachable... UMich probably not and LFM may be a lucky shot now.

Anyways... its app time... and time to give it my best shot :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Vikram! Sorry to hear that. You deserve a lot more that this. I think the 48 in Math doesn't do you justice either. This is exactly the same score (with the same split) I had in my first attempt. Definitely, 640 not bad by any means. Just check the score range in the the Universities that you plan to apply to. That should give you a better idea. Anyway, take some time off, a couple of days break will do a world of good. PM me if I can be of any help.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
640 is not a bad score at all. In fact, I would be ecstatic with that score (although I'm only looking at P/T programs with an average of 630). So long as you're in the range of the schools you're applying to, you still have a great opportunity at being accepted. The biggest hurdle now is to make your application stand out; specifically, make the essay(s) as compelling as possible. Emphasize leadership and state your goals as uniquely as possible.

Don't be down on yourself. The GMAT is just a little piece to the puzzle. Your puzzle is still in great shape.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1127 [0]
[#permalink]
I second that. 640 is not a bad score......and from the posts I've seen from you, you definitely are capable of a 700+ score.

From what I've read by recent test takers, it seems that quant is considerably harder than the ones from OG.

Did you see alot of number properties?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 995 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh! Don't loose hope viks! There are many warriors on this forum who have proved it! I was just reading chet719's post, he has jumped from 530 to 710!!! :shock:

I'm sure you will do it. Treat this as nothing more than a practice test! :-D

And, congratulations! your quant score is great! Let's keep up the hard work :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1482 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I passively read your maths post ...and sure you're well-qualified to ace the maths part .....I understand the strict timing in verbal part ...I do suffer from it too. Anyway, 640 is not bad at all!! :wink: . I'm sure if you retake GMAT, you'll hit the 700 range!!! :wink: . Cheer up, friend ....you're deserved much more! Retake it if you can :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2406 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi vikram, you shouldn't get down on yourself for a 640. Think of how many people out there who could only dream of a score over 600. At the end of the day, you know you gave it your best shot and I'm sure you will make it to one of your choice schools.

Hold your head up high!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all the encouragement!
I don't feel that bad anymore :)

TeHCM - yes.. there were a few number properties... but not as tough as what we discussed here on the forum. If you spend time on this forum.. you'll find GMAT math a cakewalk. I strongly encourage you to look at GMATPrep tests... I was surprised to see the similarities between the problems in GMATPrep and the test I took.. Lots of wordy DS questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
vikramm wrote:

TeHCM - yes.. there were a few number properties... but not as tough as what we discussed here on the forum. If you spend time on this forum.. you'll find GMAT math a cakewalk. I strongly encourage you to look at GMATPrep tests... I was surprised to see the similarities between the problems in GMATPrep and the test I took.. Lots of wordy DS questions.

GMATPrep = PowerPrep software from mba.com?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
nero44 wrote:
vikramm wrote:

GMATPrep = PowerPrep software from mba.com?

GMATPrep is the newer version of PowerPrep - the new interface for ACT/Vue. Its available for download at MBA.com..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I downloaded gmat powerprep v3.0 some weeks ago.. is that the one?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
PowerPrep is the old software from mba.com (2005 format tests).

GMATPrep is the new software that comes in the 2006 format.

<a href="https://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/ToolsToHelpYouPrepare/GMATPrepProducts/2006/FreeGMATPrepTestPreparationSoftware.htm">Here is the link to it.</a>

Originally posted by ValleyBall1 on 27 Oct 2005, 07:58.
Last edited by ValleyBall1 on 27 Oct 2005, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations Vikramm! 640 is a damn solid score and nearly a "clear admit" for most descent accredited b-schools. I knew that math was always your strong point and it definately reflects in your Q48 (90%). :-D
If you are planning to apply in R2 like most of us, then why not go ballistic for one more month attacking every problem in the verbal forum? Your true ability probably lies another 60-80 points higher, which is definately achievable within 4-5 weeks. We are all here for you buddy.
8-)

Matt
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey Vik...

awsome score...I know someone who had a score of 640 and he got into Kellog...waitlisted at chicago later dinged cause he was probably too old he was 33 yrs old when he applied....he was a salesguy..so he really sold himself well in the essays...

so you can get into Chicago and Kellog...just yesterday at a golf outing, I ran into this guy who just graduated from NYU and he had a 650 on GMAT...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep - the adcoms already know your numbers so the essays will let them know who you really are. Show them you have the intangibles and well-rounded lifestyle that will allow you to succeed in their program...and make sure they know you are passionate about their school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all the encouragement guys... will decide on round2 with Gmat next week. I'll just enjoy the next few days off :)

All the best with your tests!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Vik. I know you have probably gotten enough encouragement already. I know your pain, when your score is just not representative of your abilities. Remember its just a test. Good luck with your apps and with the GMAT if you decide to take it again.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37474 posts