Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Send PM
Re: Should I take GMAT the third time?? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi phoenix09,

Per GMAC's website:

https://www.gmac.com/gmac/thegmat/gmatscores/

Quote:
An Official GMAT Score Report shows each of these scores; in cases of repeat testing, the score report will show all of the test taker's GMAT scores for the past five years.

As long as a score is still within the 5 year window, it will show up on the score report to the schools.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jango16 wrote:
Hi,

I first took my GMAT in sept 2008, got 660(V 33, Q 47). Dissatisfied with the score i decided that i would take it again.
Finally managed to take it this august with a months prepration and was highly dissapointed with my Score, 630(V25, Q50). i knew during my exam that i had screwed up my verbal section because at one point of time i had 20 questions left with only 35 mins to spare(change of strategy on the exam day to give good amount of time to the first 10 questions) :( .

Please guide me if i should take the GMAT again, how will taking it the third time effect my admission changes with top B-schools?

The question is, do you need a higher GMAT Score? Which schools are you applying to?
If you are below average for the schools of choice (the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html) - see the second thread, then you may want to, otherwise, 660 is not a weak score....
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mohater wrote:
Quote:
An Official GMAT Score Report shows each of these scores; in cases of repeat testing, the score report will show all of the test taker's GMAT scores for the past five years.

As long as a score is still within the 5 year window, it will show up on the score report to the schools.

I learned something new today :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Hi phoenix09,

Per GMAC's website:

https://www.gmac.com/gmac/thegmat/gmatscores/

Quote:

So is that a new policy?...for some reason I have always though only the last 3 show up..and I thought I remember many people here believing that.....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
As far as I can recall, it's always been the five year rule.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
i suggest that u take the gmat until u achieve your desired score.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dumb question but do you know why so low on the IR second attempt? Did you skip it intentionally or you just got caught off guard?
The answers are not very clear at the moment. They are 60% siding on the side of yes, your IR2 is a problem, and most schools will consider only the whole complete set of scores (though some will take your highest quant, verbal, and IR - I do not have this list handy)

For employment, GMAT matters only for a few industries (consulting and IB come to mind). i do know of a few folks who are taking GMAT again being in the second year of their MBA program - seems odd but they feel that's the best thing they can do to better their odds.

So....as I said, there are a lot of IF's and chances are, it may not matter for you - you may not even go to MBA, but if you do and it does, it will be a major PIA to do it in August or October of next year and will be much easier to take care of the score now while all is fresh in your mind.

Sorry but no Happy Holidays here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Dumb question but do you know why so low on the IR second attempt? Did you skip it intentionally or you just got caught off guard?
The answers are not very clear at the moment. They are 60% siding on the side of yes, your IR2 is a problem, and most schools will consider only the whole complete set of scores (though some will take your highest quant, verbal, and IR - I do not have this list handy)

For employment, GMAT matters only for a few industries (consulting and IB come to mind). i do know of a few folks who are taking GMAT again being in the second year of their MBA program - seems odd but they feel that's the best thing they can do to better their odds.

So....as I said, there are a lot of IF's and chances are, it may not matter for you - you may not even go to MBA, but if you do and it does, it will be a major PIA to do it in August or October of next year and will be much easier to take care of the score now while all is fresh in your mind.

Sorry but no Happy Holidays here.

Can you share details on this? (though some will take your highest quant, verbal, and IR - I do not have this list handy)

I have skewed results on the two tests I have taken. One is high in quant low in verbal and the other is the opposite. I was planning to retake it but can you share the schools taht offer this combo?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I gave my gmat earlier this year scoring a 610 ( 45Q , 30 V)
Then i gave my gmat again but i was disappointed with just a ( 46Q , 32V)
I am planning on re-taking the test, however, I am very low on my confidence. I am not sure i will be able to do well! And i have also forgotten most of my concepts!! I am looking at applying for a Masters Program!! Mainly, Management.
Pls let me know if i should give a third attempt and if yes, how should i improve my VERBAL Score, Thanks
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi roanz and jango 16,

There are several items to consider before you decide to retake the GMAT exam. We explore a few of them in this blog post, which I recommend that you read: https://econgm.at/UxQIU9.

In terms of improving your verbal score, there are a lot of chat threads in this forum that provide great advice. Here's one: how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html.

If there any specific type of questions that you need tips on, let me know. I'm happy to share some tips.

Best of luck!

Jessica
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi anchalgulati22,

With a 710/Q50, you have a GMAT score that will make every Business School happy, so I'm not sure why you're considering a retest. Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not use an applicant's IR score as part of the evaluation. There is also no evidence that that trend is going to change any time soon.

When an applicant is wait-listed or rejected, there's always a reason (and there might be more than one). When asked, Business Schools tend to offer that information to the applicant in question. Maybe the overall GMAT score is too low, maybe the work experience is a little "thin", maybe the School is waiting for the next Round of applicants before making any final decisions... I've never heard of anyone getting wait-listed or rejected because of a low IR score though.

As far as the strength of your OVERALL application is concerned, you have to look beyond the GMAT. How does your work experience "look?" Have you taken on any leadership roles? How about your Letters of Rec? Are you a strong enough writer that you can put together amazing personal statements/essays or will you need to work with an Admissions Expert to craft those messages?

Since you're not planning to apply to Business School for some time, I'm curious if you've put together your "list" yet? What schools are you considering? What types of programs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot