Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Because of rising costs, United Shipping Company raised its [#permalink]
C.
You are looking for a premise that would make officer's prediction true, which is to recoup lost profit, so a study showing that consumer wants that service would be best basis for the officer's claim.
Director
Director
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
I didn't like the shift from a single rate to a combined rate because of the way combined was used in the passage. But I see the difference between them now.

Not sure of the source but the official test may not be as ambiguous (Hope so)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Send PM
A - United Shipping will aggressively advertise the new package of services.
Eliminate: If the price of services is lower elsewhere and customer have already moved to rival company, this strategy will not help.

B - United Shipping's rival does not offer some of the services included in the package.
Eliminate: The fact that customers have moved to rival company (see premise) suggest that they are getting the services they require from the rival company. So offering extra services alone (at higher prices) is not going to help United regain their customers back.

C - Marketing studies have shown that many of United Shipping's former customers would prefer a combined rate for their various shipping services.

Explanation: I have got to this answer choice by POE. I also took into consideration the fact that this is the only choice which mentions the price rate.

D - United Shipping does not already offer all the services separately.
Eliminate:
Does not mention the price hike factor.

E - No other shipping company offers the same package of services as United Shipping.

Eliminate: Explanation same as B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:
I didn't like the shift from a single rate to a combined rate because of the way combined was used in the passage. But I see the difference between them now.

Its MGMAT. Im done with reviewing their Verbal material. SC is ok but the rest is horrible.

I just took the LSAT and my RC and CR skills are superb. When I read the MGMAT's questions they are extremely ambiguous and require extreme leaps in logic. Then I go to the OG and fly through the problems.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1749 [0]
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

Its MGMAT. Im done with reviewing their Verbal material. SC is ok but the rest is horrible.

I just took the LSAT and my RC and CR skills are superb. When I read the MGMAT's questions they are extremely ambiguous and require extreme leaps in logic. Then I go to the OG and fly through the problems.

agreed.. the OG RC and CR questions are rather easy... too easy for the most part which worries me.. i can only hope it is as clear and not ambigious on the actual test... but many people's verbal scores have been pretty low recently... =\
Manager
Manager
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

agreed.. the OG RC and CR questions are rather easy... too easy for the most part which worries me.. i can only hope it is as clear and not ambigious on the actual test... but many people's verbal scores have been pretty low recently... =\

You got me worried now. The only way I can hit 750 is if my RC and CR are on point. There is no hope for me with SC. What are your thoughts regarding SC in MGMAT vs OG? Is MGMAT off like RC and CR?
Director
Director
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

If your RC and CR are superb then your job is more than half done...Many people (OK at least I ) struggle in these 2 areas.... Any other section is easy to pick up 'cos they are more logical/rule based ;-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

You got me worried now. The only way I can hit 750 is if my RC and CR are on point. There is no hope for me with SC. What are your thoughts regarding SC in MGMAT vs OG? Is MGMAT off like RC and CR?

i think the SC section is fine for MGMAT.. not much ambiguity although from what i heard, the sentence correction on the real thing throws more confusion... i would definitely do more GMATprep questions (even if there is more of an overlap with OG questions) to get a better feel of what you are up against for RC and CR. SC will always be tricky so get as much exposure to different types of questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

If your RC and CR are superb then your job is more than half done...Many people (OK at least I ) struggle in these 2 areas.... Any other section is easy to pick up 'cos they are more logical/rule based ;-)

If I could just nail the SC in the next week I will be golden. Im scoring 46+ in math and verbal all depends on how bad I do on SC. SC makes me want to pull my hair out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

If I could just nail the SC in the next week I will be golden. Im scoring 46+ in math and verbal all depends on how bad I do on SC. SC makes me want to pull my hair out.

having already taken the LSAT (i'm talking about you not me haha), the RC and CR should come easy. i would concentrate more on the SC. go back to fundamental grammar and see the type of traps that GMAT sets up. practice makes perfect, you won't regret the time you put in!
Director
Director
Send PM
Believe me you can do it.

SC is all about staying alert for those signs that GMAT English only can provide :-)

Stay cool and ace the test....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Im taking the test on the 29th and I have only been studying for two weeks. So i feel a little overwhelmed with all of the rules for SC and I am starting to stress a little that the SC is not coming easier. I still havent determined what I should concentrate more on SC or math. Sigh!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
trivikram wrote:
JDMBA wrote:

I must agree with this guy, well RC is not that bad but CR is terrible. I stumbled upon this CR question on my latest MGMAT mock and picked the wrong answer. Since I wanted to figure out why the answer cited as correct was indeed correct I rushed to the explanation and discovered that all the answer choices except for the correct one are just a copy paste of the same appalling statement "This does not suggest that United Shipping will increase revenue or lower costs" well... how am I supposed to learn from this very CR? I guess I will just skip it :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2726 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
OE:

United Shipping raised its rates because of rising costs. In response, many of its customers turned to a rival company with lower rates. In turn, United Shipping began to offer a new package of services at a single, higher rate, claiming that this move would recoup the lost profits. We are asked to find a choice that provides the best basis for the claim that profits will be recouped. So we need to find a choice that strongly suggests that United Shipping will actually increase its profits somehow. The company can do so by either increasing revenue or lowering costs.
(A) This does not suggest that United Shipping will increase revenue or lower costs.

(B) This does not suggest that United Shipping will increase revenue or lower costs.

(C) CORRECT. This does suggest that United Shipping will increase profits, since its new package of services will be popular with the same cost-conscious customers who had begun patronizing its competitor. Thus, these customers are likely to return to United Shipping rather than continue to pay for each of the rival's services individually.

(D) This does not suggest that United Shipping will increase revenue or lower costs.

(E) This does not suggest that United Shipping will increase revenue or lower costs.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a VERY old question, but I added the OA regardless.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts