Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2757 [19]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [5]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Re: An engineering firm is organized so that each of its T team leaders ma [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
We know the number of designers is going to be a multiple of 4.

We also can quickly deduce that the number of team leaders is either 3 or 4 as all other values will give too many developers for even the greatest answer choice.
Example, If T = 18 --> no. P managers = 4x18 = 72 --> min no. developers = 144 (as stem mentions developers in plural).

If we pick T = 3, then D will be a multiple of 12. Scan through RH column and you will find there to be no such multiple.

We then pick T = 4, no. managers = 4x4 = 16, scanning through RH column for any multiple of 16 we find 112.

T = 4
D = 112
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: An engineering firm is organized so that each of its T team leaders ma [#permalink]
Cellchat

Thanks for posting a clear response! I work in Business myself & my mind went automatically to one of my managers that manages 4 employees.

In this case, in order for this problem to work properly in my head, I imagined that since there are 4 Project Manager's, there must be a minimum of 4 Team leaderS because it's plural in the problem & not singular.

My question is, how can I steer away from thinking of a conventional business model where a manager can manage 4 individuals at once or 2 managers can manage 4 individuals (each two)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
sssaniaa
Even I made the same mistake but the point to be noted is that EACH OF the team leader is managing P project managers and each of P project managers are managing D designers.
My approach :
It is quite clear that D has to be a multiple of 4, so with that we can eliminate a few numbers. Now let us assign a number for the Team Leaders. Starting with 3, if there 3 TL, then we would have 3*4 PM which is 12PM. If the number of Pm is 12, the the number of D will have to be a multiple of 12 and we clearly do not have a multiple of 12 in the options
Moving onto 4TL, we will have 16 PM and that means the number of D has to be a multiple of 16. 112 is the only multiple of 16, so the answer is 4 and 112 respectively
Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Total number of team leaders= T
Total number of project managers= T*P (since each team leader manager P project managers)
Total number of designers= T*P*D (since each project manager manages D designers)
P=4
Q: T*P*D? and T?
T*P*D will be some multiple of 4. Total number of designers can be 4, 52 or 112.
So T*D can be 1, 13, or 28. Values of T can be 1,13,28,4,7,2,14. From the options we can see only 4 is present. So T=4, then T*P*D=112
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11184 posts