Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:24 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Bus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business
Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business

MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business unveiled an updated MBA curriculum in 2012—and with it, a revamped global emphasis. The school’s dean at the time, David A. Thomas, announced the changes as a response to the evolving global business landscape, meant to equip students “with the skills to be innovative leaders—whether they are joining established organizations or becoming entrepreneurs.” During “opening term,” first-year students are required to take “Structure of Global Industries.” This immersive three-week core course provides a foundation in international business that runs through the required “modules” in the spring semester and culminates with the school’s newly expanded, signature “Global Business Experience” during students’ second year. In this program, students take on consulting roles working for actual international organizations. In the spring, student teams travel to their respective client’s country—such as South Africa, Turkey, Mexico, and Italy—to gain firsthand experience working in a global consulting and management setting. After the participating students return to campus, they present the stories of and takeaways from their experiences to their classmates at the school’s Global Business Conference.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Studying Health Enterprise Management at Kellogg [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Studying Health Enterprise Management at Kellogg

An often unsung program at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management is the school’s Health Enterprise Management program, and a “star” within this program is the Global Health Initiative (GHI)—co-founded by former Kellogg professor (now provost) Daniel Diermeier, with several students in leadership and advisory roles—in which academics, students, corporations, and nonprofits create products that solve medical problems around the world. As evidence of the program’s profile, in 2006, the GHI received a $4.9M grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop diagnostic devices capable of identifying the HIV virus.

Another impressive experiential offering is the multidisciplinary “NUVention: Medical Innovation” lab class, which brings together industry leaders, top faculty members, and students from several of Northwestern’s graduate schools (Law, Engineering, Medicine, and Business). In this two-term course, students experience the “entire innovation life cycle” from a variety of perspectives: scientific, legal, and entrepreneurial/managerial. Students even shadow surgeons and observe clinicians to facilitate their own brainstorming sessions for an innovative product—an actual product is created and presented to potential investors. Clearly, Kellogg provides students interested in health care with an opportunity to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty (and then sanitize them after, of course).

The post Friday Factoid: Studying Health Enterprise Management at Kellogg appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: August 2016 Social Currency Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: August 2016 Social Currency Rankings
Rankings come in all shapes and sizes, but can any ranking truly capture social cachet? For a different perspective on the value of an MBA, we turn to the New York Times society pages, where the editors select and profile promising couples. Each month, we dedicate one B-School Chart of the Week to tallying how alumni from top-ranked business schools are advancing their social currency ranking.

The 2016 summer wedding season is over, but MBAs certainly took advantage of its last few weeks—as is evident from the 22 August weddings involving MBAs that were profiled by the New York Times. Columbia Business School (CBS) graduates were especially busy, with four CBS MBAs tying the knot in three weddings. Danielle Kennedy and Markus Fischer, who were married on August 20, met on a CBS study trip to Japan while both were pursuing their MBAs at the school. CBS also served as a matchmaker for MBAs Charlotte Chapman and Jorge Vilariño, who walked down the aisle on August 27. In addition, a number of current MBA students did not let their studies get in the way of wedding fever—MBA candidates from Harvard Business School, CBS, and Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth wed their loved ones just before the start of the fall semester.

The post B-School Chart of the Week: August 2016 Social Currency Rankings appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Must Have Gotten It Wrong! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Must Have Gotten It Wrong!
You have a 720 GMAT score and a 3.75 GPA. You have made solid career progress and procured glowing recommendations. You have been actively volunteering in your community for years. You worked hard on your application and landed an interview at your target school, where you felt you did well. But… you did not get in. You must have done something terribly wrong in your interview or unwittingly made a mess of your essays, right? Not necessarily.

We recently spoke with the admissions director at a top MBA program who explained that his school does not give feedback to rejected candidates because it is simply a waste of the candidate’s and admissions staff’s time. The admissions director told us that the school would need to nitpick in order to give candidates something to work on and to ensure that they filled the time during these hypothetical feedback sessions. He explained that nine times out of ten, the feedback that they offered to weaker candidates would be patently obvious and that countless strong applicants had done nothing wrong at all. In fact, most candidates create their best applications, but space is simply limited in the class.

Although this may not be comforting if you were rejected, you may just have been the victim of a competitive process during a competitive year. We suggest that you honestly assess your own candidacy and consider staying the course as you continue applying. Spending significant time revamping your applications may be a waste of time and a losing strategy. Patience may prove beneficial in the long term.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Must Have Gotten It Wrong! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Tackling Reading Comprehension Problems [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Tackling Reading Comprehension Problems
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

We previously examined how to read Reading Comprehension (RC) passages. If you have not read our earlier article, go ahead and do so right now.

Today, I want to talk about the three primary types of questions that appear on RC: Main Idea, Specific Detail, and Inference. I also want to talk about how to analyze RC problems.

In general, we learn the most from a problem after we have finished doing it. Our review is the real learning experience. Any problem can (and should!) be analyzed using the questions discussed in this “How to Analyze a Practice Problem” article.

How would that work with a Reading Comprehension question? Glad you asked. This article contains an example of a complete RC Inference problem analysis—you will learn not only how to analyze an RC problem but also how to tackle Inference problems. (In general, Inference problems ask us to deduce something from some piece of evidence provided in the passage.)

Let’s tackle Main Idea questions next. These questions focus on the main point of a passage, though we could also be asked to give the main point of just one paragraph.

Specific Detail questions ask us to address some particular detail mentioned explicitly in the passage. We could be asked what the passage says or why the author mentions a certain thing. Knowing whether you are dealing with a What question or a Why question is important. Think about the answers to these two questions: What are you studying? Why are you studying it? Completely different answers!

Those will cover most, if not all, of the RC question types you will see when you take the GMAT. You might also encounter a Strengthen or Weaken question, similar to the questions that we see in the Critical Reasoning section. These are fairly rare in RC, though—chances are good that you will not actually see one.

So go ahead and tackle those Reading Comprehension question types and remember this: when you are studying, your goal is not (just) to get the question right. Your goal is to learn something that you could apply on a different question (or questions) in the future!

The post GMAT Impact: Tackling Reading Comprehension Problems appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Learn How a Bike Accident Led Meg Daly to Found Miami’s Underline Park [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Learn How a Bike Accident Led Meg Daly to Found Miami’s Underline Park

Miami’s Underline Park; Photo via www.theunderline.org

Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

New York has the High Line, Chicago has The 606, Atlanta has the BeltLine—and soon, Miami will have its own park that was created on unused land right in the midst of the city. Sales and marketing executive Meg Daly came up with the idea for the Underline, a ten-mile linear park being built below Miami’s Metrorail, after having an epiphany while walking to a weekly appointment. Listen to the podcast episode to hear how she came up with the idea for this fascinating park, as she discusses these details and more:

• How a painful bike accident—which broke both of Daly’s arms—was the dramatic first step on the path that brought her to eventually discover the grounds for the Underline
  • What she did after realizing that for a project like this, no “road map” or guidebook exists
  • Why being comfortable with being uncomfortable is essential for the project

Be sure to subscribe to the podcast series to hear more entrepreneurial stories like Daly’s!

The post Learn How a Bike Accident Led Meg Daly to Found Miami’s Underline Park appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Take Ownership of Your Goals [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Take Ownership of Your Goals
When admissions officers read your MBA application, they want to feel inspired by your personal statement; they want to know that you have a strong sense of purpose and will work energetically to attain your objectives. Thus, you must ensure that you are not presenting generic or shallow goals. Although this problem is not industry specific, it occurs most often with candidates who propose careers in investment banking or consulting but do not have a true understanding of what these positions entail.

For example, a candidate cannot merely state the following goal:

“In the short term, when I graduate from Wharton, I want to become an investment banking associate. After three years, I will be promoted to vice president, and then in the long term, I will become a managing director.”

This hypothetical candidate does not express any passion for his/her proposed course, does not show any understanding of the demands of the positions, and does not explain the value he/she could bring to the firm. To avoid these kinds of shortcomings, conduct this simple test when writing your personal statement: if you can easily substitute another job title into your career goals and the sentence still makes perfect sense (for example, “In the short term, when I graduate from Wharton, I want to become a consultant. After three years, I will be promoted to vice president, and then in the long term, I will become a managing director.”), you know you have a serious problem on your hands and need to put more work into your essay.

To effectively convey your goals, you need to truly own them. This means personalizing them, determining and presenting why you expect to be a success in the proposed position, and explaining why an opportunity exists for you to contribute. For example, a former forestry engineer could make a strong argument for joining an environmental impact consulting firm. (Note: This candidate would still need to explain why he/she would want to join one.) Similarly, a financial analyst in the corporate finance department at Yahoo! could connect his/her goals to tech investment banking. Although the connection need not be so direct, especially for candidates seeking to change careers, relating your past experiences and/or your skills to your future path is still extremely important. This approach will add depth to your essay and ensure that the admissions committee takes you seriously.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Take Ownership of Your Goals appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: What to Expect from Your MBA Interview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: What to Expect from Your MBA Interview
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

With MBA interview invitations continuing to arrive at this time of year, we thought it would be appropriate to discuss some challenging interview situations. Most business school interviews are straightforward opportunities for an interviewer to learn more about a candidate’s personal and professional backgrounds, goals, reasons for selecting a specific school, and leadership/team experiences. Yet interviews can vary dramatically from school to school, and sometimes they include a few peculiarities. So, what constitutes a “tough” interview, and how can you best navigate one?

Stoic interviewer: Some interviewers can be unemotional, refusing to give you any indication as to whether you are making a positive impression or not. And amid the intense pressure of an interview, you may perceive this lack of clear positive response as a sign of actual disapproval. The key to managing such a situation is to tune out the interviewer’s lack of emotion. Focus on your answers and do your best to not be distracted by anything about the interviewer, ignoring everything except the questions he/she is posing. “Reading” the interviewer in real time can be challenging, so you should instead concentrate on showcasing your strengths.

Philosophical questions: Most candidates are ready to discuss their experiences and accomplishments, but many are not prepared to discuss their values and philosophy on life. Harvard Business School, in particular, likes to understand applicants’ motivations and will ask questions like “What is your motivation to succeed?,” “What drives you?,” and “What gives you purpose in life?” The key to answering these sorts of questions is pretty simple: expect and prepare for them in advance (after all, you are being warned right now). However, you should not assume that all the questions you will receive during your interview will be experiential.

Persistent questioning: Sometimes a tough interviewer will continuously delve deeper into a subject, such as by repeatedly asking “Can you be more specific about [the topic under discussion]?” after posing an initial question. These kinds of unusual pressure tactics can be disconcerting, but the key is to simply stay on topic. No matter how persistent he/she is, the interviewer is always essentially asking you about a subject that you know quite well—you! So again, by avoiding the distraction of the tactic and sticking to your agenda, you should be fine.

mbaMission offers even more interview advice in our FREE Interview Primers, which are available for 15 top-ranked business schools.

The post Mission Admission: What to Expect from Your MBA Interview appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Roberto Rigobon, MIT Sloan School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Roberto Rigobon, MIT Sloan School of Management
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Roberto Rigobon from the MIT Sloan School of Management.

Roberto Rigobon, the Society of Sloan Fellows Professor of Management and a professor of applied economics, specializes in international economics, monetary economics, and development economics. At an awards ceremony in 2005, Sloan students described him as someone who “epitomized the fine line between madness and genius.” Other award-related descriptions of Rigobon refer to him as “serious but hilarious,” “crazy and brilliant,” and “high energy.” He teaches the reportedly very popular “Applied Macro and International Economics” course, which is said to be often taken by up to 30% of Sloan students at a time. He has won numerous teaching awards during his time at Sloan (including the school’s Excellence in Teaching Award in 2000, 2003, and 2005, and Teacher of the Year in 1999, 2002, and 2004) and is primarily recognized for his accessibility. As one second-year student blogged, “The door to his office was always open.”

For more information about MIT Sloan and 15 other top-ranked MBA schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Professor Profiles: Roberto Rigobon, MIT Sloan School of Management appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Career News: How to Turn Resume Bullets into Accomplishment Statem [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career News: How to Turn Resume Bullets into Accomplishment Statements
In this new blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches,click here.

Writing an effective resume requires you to transform your job description bullets into accomplishment statements.

A strong accomplishment statement has the following four key elements:

• Starts with a strong verb (e.g., “Designed,” “Created,” “Led,” “Managed,” “Analyzed”)
  • Includes an action you took (i.e., what you did) and the result you achieved (i.e., the impact/benefit of your action)
  • Begins with your action and ends with your result (unless the result is significant, in which case you should start the bullet with the result)
  • Quantifies the result (If there is no quantitative impact, think about qualitative ways to prove the effectiveness of your actions—perhaps by comparing your result to those of previous years or your competitors, or by highlighting the intended impact or explaining the size/scope of the project.)

Questions to Ask Yourself When Writing Accomplishment Statements

• Is the skill/experience I am highlighting relevant to my target audience?
  • After reading the bullet, can I answer the “So what?” question? Why did it matter that I took the actions highlighted in the bullet? How can I prove that I did a good job with the responsibilities assigned to me?
Before and After Accomplishment Statements

Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via afree 30-minute consultation!

The post MBA Career News: How to Turn Resume Bullets into Accomplishment Statements appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Stanford G [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Stanford GSB
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

“Leave it to clever biz students to dress up a party as a business meeting,” quips a past Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) News article in reference to the school’s weekly Liquidity Preference Functions—or LPFs—explaining, “Every Friday […] students blow off end-of-the-week steam over beverages, food, and loud music.” Essentially happy hours, LPFs are a longstanding GSB social tradition in which students get together to enjoy spirits at local establishments after classes. Alumni even have LPF events during reunions. In fact, the gatherings are such a quintessential part of the GSB experience that two of the school’s graduates who started a winery together named one of their wines “LPF” to honor this facet of their time at their alma mater.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at the Stanford GSB and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Stanford GSB appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Business of Medicine MBA at Kelley School of Bu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Business of Medicine MBA at Kelley School of Business

Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business

MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

As the demand for business-savvy health care professionals grows, business schools are taking notice. Leading the way is the Business of Medicine MBA at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business, which is designed to train practicing physicians to assume management positions and face a changing health care business environment. As the Financial Times reports, the two-year degree program began in the fall of 2013 and presents a new kind of opportunity at the intersection of business management and medical practice. The degree combines the basic curriculum of Kelley’s full-time MBA with specialized health care courses supported by the school’s Center for the Business of Life Sciences. The Financial Times quotes Idalene Kesner, who was interim dean at the time of the article but has since been appointed dean, as saying, “With this degree, physician leaders will emerge with the full skillset to transform individual institutions, the broad healthcare field and, most important, patient outcomes.” Part of the Business of Medicine MBA program is taught online, drawing on Kelley’s pioneering strengths in distance learning, while the other part entails one weekend residence per month, allowing for a more flexible time commitment.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Business of Medicine MBA at Kelley School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Research-to-Practice at Tuck [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Research-to-Practice at Tuck
The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College is known for its close-knit community and small faculty-to-student ratio. The school’s research-to-practice seminars complement these characteristics. An article on the school’s Tuck Today Web site explained that “International Entrepreneurship” was the first of several such seminars designed to give students insight into a real-world business issue. The seminars were conceived as a key component of the school’s strategic five-year plan, called Tuck 2012. The courses bring together 15 second-year students with top faculty for a “deep dive” into a specific topic. Research-to-practice seminars that were offered in recent years include the following:

• “Corporate Takeovers”
  • “Deconstructing Apple”
  • “Management of Investment Portfolios”
  • “Marketing Good and Evil: Consumer Moral Judgment and Well-Being”
  • “Strategy in Innovation Ecosystems”
  • “Time in the Consumer Mind”
For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Dartmouth Tuck or one of 15 other top business schools, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Research-to-Practice at Tuck appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Learn About Consulting Firsthand from McKinsey & Company! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Learn About Consulting Firsthand from McKinsey & Company!
mbaMission is proud to announce an exclusive online event presented by prestigious worldwide management consultancy McKinsey & Company.

Have you ever wondered what management consulting actually is or what a consultant does? If so, this is your chance to learn firsthand from seasoned McKinsey & Company consultants Ahmed Darwish and Mary Katherine Flanigan via the free, live webinar “Beyond Buzzwords: What Is Consulting?”

During this online event, Ahmed and Mary Katherine will share a broad overview of consulting and the work they do, while also providing insight into the following topics:

• What a day in the life of a consultant is like
  • How consultants are staffed on projects
  • The composition of consultant teams
  • How consultants interact with clients
They will also respond to questions from attendees, so claim your spot today to get the inside scoop on this dynamic industry and career choice!

Event Details

• Date: Monday, October 24, 2016
  • Time: 8 p.m. EST
  • Location: Online – room link will be provided after registration
  • Cost: Click here to register for FREE!
We look forward to having you join us for this valuable session!

The post Learn About Consulting Firsthand from McKinsey & Company! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Your MBA Program Is the Sole Determina [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Your MBA Program Is the Sole Determinant of Your Future

Human nature dictates that amid a competitive application process—exaggerated by the pervasiveness of rankings and the chatter surrounding them—some MBA students will perceive that they are ahead of others because they were accepted at a top school, while others will perceive that they are behind their peers because they gained acceptance from a lower-ranked school. What is often lost amid all of this worrying is that you, not your business school, are the independent variable. You, not your school, will determine your success.

Many regard such prestigious institutions as Harvard Business School or the Stanford Graduate School of Business as a holy grail of sorts. Their reasoning is along the lines of, “All you have to do is get in and you are set for life!” This is undoubtedly wrong. Although tremendous opportunities exist for those who graduate from Harvard or Stanford, no graduate is simply given a free pass. When MBAs find summer or full-time positions at prestigious firms, they are still competing with others from many schools once they enter their workplaces, where (surprise!) their individual performance—not their pedigree—then determines their success.

An mbaMission consultant recalls her MBA summer internship at J.P. Morgan, wherein the firm recruited students from 17 top MBA programs. At the end of the summer, students from Wharton, Michigan Ross, UVA Darden, Texas McCombs, and NYU Stern were offered full-time positions, while students from many other schools were left out. This simple anecdote features a very small sampling from one firm and one summer, but it can be an eye-opener for an MBA applicant who assumes that a top ten school is the “ticket.”

Further, a myriad of studies suggest that lower-ranked schools offer a greater return on investment than top-ranked schools. In one study sponsored by GMAC (the collective of MBA programs that administers the GMAT), data suggests that lower-ranked schools offer lower costs and higher returns over a ten-year period (185% vs. 118%). We are not suggesting that you start applying exclusively to lower-ranked schools or that you shun Stanford or Harvard—both have excellent programs. Our point is simply that some applicants can too closely identify with their target schools and neglect to recognize that their internal motors have gotten them to a place where they can compete for acceptances. These internal motors will not be shut off during or after business school, but will continue to drive the applicants in the future.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Your MBA Program Is the Sole Determinant of Your Future appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Dealing with Long Underlines in Sentence Correction [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Dealing with Long Underlines in Sentence Correction
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Many of the more “standard” (and lower-level) Sentence Correction (SC) questions have easier-to-identify “splits,” or differences in the answer choices. For instance, answers A and B might use the word “have,” while C, D, and E use the word “has,” indicating a relatively easy-to-spot singular versus plural issue.

Sentences with longer underlines, however, are more likely to be testing such global issues as Structure, Meaning, Modifiers, and Parallelism. In these questions, large chunks of the sentence move around, the fundamental sentence structure changes, and so on. In one GMATPrep problem, for example, answer A includes the text “the brain growing in mice when placed” while answer B says “mice whose brains grow when they are placed.” This is not just a simple switch of a single word—something more complicated is happening. Take a look at this article for the full example.

To have a chance at answering these correctly, we may need to modify our standard approach to SC. In GMATPrep’s Lake Baikal problem, the entire sentence is underlined, and the answers seem to be changing completely around. Where do we even start? Click the link to try the problem and learn more about how to tackle these types of SCs. Here is another one discussing an organization called Project SETI.

When you are done with this, try this third one: FCC rates. Here, only about two-thirds of the sentence is underlined, but the sentence is unusually long.

When you are starting to feel more comfortable with those, I have an exercise for you. Pull up some long-underline Official Guide questions that you have previously completed. Cover up the original sentence and look only at the answers (in other words, if the entire sentence is not underlined, then you are going to do this exercise without actually reading the full sentence!).

Based on the differences that you see, try to articulate all of the issues that are being tested and eliminate as many answers as you can. (Note: You will not always be able to eliminate all four wrong answers; sometimes the non-underlined portion of the sentence contains some crucial information!) When you are done, look at the full thing and review the explanation to see how close you got and whether you missed anything.

The post GMAT Impact: Dealing with Long Underlines in Sentence Correction appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
In Other News… A New Dean at Stanford, Penn State’s Revamped Online MB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: In Other News… A New Dean at Stanford, Penn State’s Revamped Online MBA, and New Entrepreneurs-in-Residence at Harvard

Johnathan Levin, Dean of the Stanford Graduate School of Business

The business school world is constantly buzzing with change and innovation. In addition to our regular news posts, we briefly touch on a few notable stories from this dynamic field in one roundup.

• Jonathan Levin may have only stepped into the role of dean at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) this month, but he is already settling in. Levin, who served as a professor at Stanford for 16 years before becoming dean, recently told Financial Times that some of his ideas for the GSB’s future are digital. Although no definitive plans are in place yet, Levin expressed a desire to expand the school’s online course offerings. His other interests are a bit more broad; at the top of Levin’s list are enabling the school to have a positive impact on the world and continuing to offer a high level of education and research.
  • The Smeal College of Business at the Pennsylvania State University has offered an online MBA since 2000, but this year the program has undergone a complete design overhaul. Among the new offerings are seven concentrations, which include general management, finance, and business analytics. Before choosing a concentration, students must complete the general management core curriculum, which constitutes 39 of the program’s 48 required credits. “Our business faculty have worked diligently to provide an online MBA to business professionals who want a high-quality Penn State degree but who need the flexibility of the online experience,” Craig Weidemann, the school’s vice president for outreach and vice provost for online education, commented in a press release about the new online MBA.
  • Harvard Business School students began their academic year with a treat: the school’s Rock Center for Entrepreneurship recently announced its 23 new Entrepreneurs-in-Residence. The entrepreneurs, who will receive guidance from faculty and offer invaluable mentorship to students, include the CEO of Choose Energy, a founding partner of Pacific Lake Partners, a former president and CEO of Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and the co-founder and CEO of The Grommet.
The post In Other News… A New Dean at Stanford, Penn State’s Revamped Online MBA, and New Entrepreneurs-in-Residence at Harvard appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
   1  ...  76   77   78   79   80  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts