Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Stern vs Yale SOM vs Sloan? [#permalink]
My numbers above come directly from US News - I see Yale and NYU as roughly the same, and MIT slightly harder in terms of pure admission chances.

I really don't know much about entrepreneurial VC/PE, maybe someone else will. (What I do know is that traditional VC/PE is almost impossible to get into if you're not already in the industry and go to HBS/Wharton). I think that both Yale and NYU have strong tracks for finance, including IB. Rankings for the schools is similar as well (just ignore the latest US News for NYU). I guess the biggest differentiator between Yale and NYU for what you want is location.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Ok and I took Stern numbers from their website (Class 2018 profile), US news has 2017 data for Stern (20% and 720 GMAT).
Anyway I believe it keeps fluctuating little bit. So yes overall, both are similar in terms of acceptance but yes GMAT is obviously a difference, class size is almost same.
Though you have clearly mentioned about VC/PE, can you just answer me based on your experience:
- In terms of IB or Corporate Finance recruiting, is it true that competition is tough at Stern, though in terms of total recruits are also higher vs Yale?
- Since, I am coming from Corp Finance background and have experience of Infrastructure/Renewable energy PE, will it be possible to crack into PE/VC from any college other than HBS/Wharton, or without previous top PE experience, is it almost impossible?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
If you want to maximize your chances, apply to all of them.

However, given your profile (Indian male, non IIT grad, age, and 690 GMAT), even applying to all of Wharton Columbia Yale NYU and Sloan presents a significant risk. Your profile is more suited for the top 50 rather than the top 10. The GMAT really is that important for Indian males.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
For the first question, I don't have any data but I've heard anecdotally that at Yale it is easier to get a finance internship/job because recruiters go out of their way to visit Yale to find a certain number of applicants and the pool is less competitive.

For the second question, I have little idea so hopefully someone else could answer.

Also, this:

Porkbun123 wrote:
If you want to maximize your chances, apply to all of them.

However, given your profile (Indian male, non IIT grad, age, and 690 GMAT), even applying to all of Wharton Columbia Yale NYU and Sloan presents a significant risk. Your profile is more suited for the top 50 rather than the top 10. The GMAT really is that important for Indian males.

I got rejected from Wharton, CBS, SOM, and MIT as a 27 year old American with a 710 GMAT. These were all reach school for me, I admit, but I'm considering widening my targets for next year. You may also want tp consider Cornell and Georgetown (strong finance schools out of the top 10 but in the top 25). Possibly others.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Porkbun
My degree is from BITS Pilani, which is as reputed as IIT if not more.
I agree GMAT is low, but can't I cover it up with my strong acads and in GMAT my quant is very good, verbal is low but AWA is 5.5/6. People said that can cover up low verbal.
How much weightage is for GMAT, I read that acads and GMAT is total 30%.

I don't see any point applying in all 3, it's just like rushing too much without quality. I thought to apply in one of these 3 and then INSEAD (Jan 25th), so that at least one non US college.
Are you currently in Yale SOM?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Navi1784 wrote:
@Porkbun
My degree is from BITS Pilani, which is as reputed as IIT if not more.
I agree GMAT is low, but can't I cover it up with my strong acads and in GMAT my quant is very good, verbal is low but AWA is 5.5/6. People said that can cover up low verbal.
How much weightage is for GMAT, I read that acads and GMAT is total 30%.

I don't see any point applying in all 3, it's just like rushing too much without quality. I thought to apply in one of these 3 and then INSEAD (Jan 25th), so that at least one non US college.
Are you currently in Yale SOM?

I will be entering Yale's class of 2019, so not just a student quite yet.

It's a little more complicated than that. GMAT is used as filtering mechanism. For Indian males I imagine you need a 740+, and if you don't you better have something really compelling to be let in (this is for all the schools on your list btw). All the Indian male students have superior academics, but with a strong GMAT to couple it with, so that really isnt a differentiator for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes I agree with you, unfortunately GMAT is bit off in my case.

That's why I was bit more inclined to Stern considering its lower avg GMAT. So it's like easiest in all 3.

Another point, I have an entrepreneurial focus but both SOM and Stern is not that much entrepreneurship focused or known for. Will that affect my application as if my goals are not their stronger areas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Navi1784 wrote:
Yes I agree with you, unfortunately GMAT is bit off in my case.

That's why I was bit more inclined to Stern considering its lower avg GMAT. So it's like easiest in all 3.

Another point, I have an entrepreneurial focus but both SOM and Stern is not that much entrepreneurship focused or known for. Will that affect my application as if my goals are not their stronger areas.

Yale SOM has made great strides in its entrepreneurship department: check out the Yale Entrepreneurship Institute https://yei.yale.edu/. I've heard nothing but positive things about it.

Really its about making a convincing pitch based off of your own history and motivations, not about writing what you think the adcom wants to hear.

For example, when I applied I stated my goal as brand management (Yale is not "known" for marketing). But I made a compelling case with my goals and how Yale (Yale Center for Customer Insights) could help me achieve them.

Also, any "benefit" you get from picking Stern for being the "easiest" (if it is even that) would be very marginal. You would have to pick a much less competitive school in order to significantly boost your chances.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I understand and so far wherever I applied, I made story based on my aspirations and not what adcom wants to listen.
I know difference is marginal, I just said based on average GMAT in Stern and Yale- 710 vs 724. even a consultant told me the same, but she is also telling based on only GMAT score).
What I thought was that apply 4 schools in US, INSEAD (Jan 25th), and LBS (24th Feb only if I didn't get interview invite from any applications). Didn't see going below Top 25, thought it's won't help me much in achieving goals considering my career stage and age. Probably for a 3-4 years experienced applicant, it's more suited. I can be wrong here.
So based on your experience, which one I should apply to, Stern or Yale, or both? Being you already admitted, obviously you can suggest.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm biased, since I applied to Yale but did not apply to Stern. I think Yale is a great up and comer and would be a great school (YEI) to help you achieve your goals.

If I had to suggest, I would suggest do both schools, but only on 1 condition. Yale's round 2 deadline is Jan 10, so you would have to apply ASAP. Do you have a ideas in mind for your "commitment" essay? If you do, then apply to Yale.

Anyway, once you are done with Yale, Stern has their deadline Jan 15, so you have five days to prepare.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes I know, only 2 days left for Yale, so have to decide quickly.
I have made up story in my mind for commitment essay, its rather inline with my background and goals. Want to share with you in brief to get a valuable feedback:
Basically I am writing about my commitment for the society, how I got the interest through my childhood difficulties, how I have overcome those and what I have done so far in that direction (working in social impact space, other communities work) and my career goals are also in the same direction. Does that make sense?
And does Yale has a Video question as well post submission, I am not very good with video submission :(.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Navi1784 wrote:
Yes I know, only 2 days left for Yale, so have to decide quickly.
I have made up story in my mind for commitment essay, its rather inline with my background and goals. Want to share with you in brief to get a valuable feedback:
Basically I am writing about my commitment for the society, how I got the interest through my childhood difficulties, how I have overcome those and what I have done so far in that direction (working in social impact space, other communities work) and my career goals are also in the same direction. Does that make sense?
And does Yale has a Video question as well post submission, I am not very good with video submission :(.

That looks perfectly reasonable. No red flags from what you've presented.

And as for the video essay, by all means prepare, but don't worry about it too much. I was sure I bombed my video essays but it worked out in the end. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok thanks for your advice. And congrats for your selection and all the best if you applied in R2.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Navi1784 wrote:
Hi,
I have applied in Wharton and CBS and bit confused between Yale vs Stern or even you can add Sloan to choose from. I want to apply in one of these 3 (or may be 2):
Just seeing this now- and you still have a week to make your Sloan application strong! Best wishes to you- it has been a very competitive year there from what I have observed so far in R1- but you won't know unless you apply and R2 is the last best shot! Consider spending an hour with a consultant to review your application and help it be as strong as possible- with a week to go you can still to that... here is a link for 5% off any services and a link to a free consult where you also may gain a nugget of insight or two to help at this 11th hour...
https://stratusprep.com/admissions/busi ... b-visitor/

No matter what- Good luck!!

PS: I know all of these schools are stretch for me based on my GMAT, so not worried about that. I have accepted that fact. A brief about my profile:

Experience- Total around 9, out of which last 5 years in the investment domain, Since last 3 years, I am working in the renewable energy(solar), water, waste, sectors. Now working with Chairman of the largest solar developer in India. So can mention about experience working with CXO, leadership, etc.
GMAT- 690 (Q 98%, V62%).
College: Master of Engineering from one of the top 5 Engineering college in India, 9.2/10 GPA, In undergrads, I am university Gold Medalist. CFA charter holder
Extra curricular: Been associated with couple of good NGOs as a senior team member, working in water sector and rural development. In college, was member of placement cell, Teaching Assistant, and also organised an industry conference. Currently, also volunteer with CFA society in my town.
I have also run an educational venture back in 2010-2012, it was doing well. Also tried another venture in the healthcare last year, but didn't get success.
Post MBA focus- Entrepreneurship. I want to either start my own venture or be part of a start-up (most likely back in India as I would love to do something here for the society to create a positive impact). So key focus is entrepreneurship and impact.

So based on these information and considering the fact that all three schools are stretch, which school I should apply to (in terms of maximum chances).

Kindly revert.

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Sloan (MIT) Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Sloan (MIT) Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Sloan (MIT) Forum for all fresh things related to the Sloan (MIT) MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts